• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I have a deadass question for yall

The_Pink_God

She/Her
Do you in all 100% honesty like your series? It's plot? Its characters? Its themes?
Or do you just like the series because they have strong characters?

I had this question while surfing on r/MaouGakuin where more than half of the posts that are on that god-forsaken subreddit, literally it seems no one likes the series for what it is and just because "Haha powerful MC goes brrrr"

It also helped that we have IRL evidence of this, when Masadaverse was heavily downgraded, everyone just forgot the series existed... Like before it you'd have so many people talking about how the characters were strong and how the verse solos and whatnot... But then the downgrade came and everyone just... Forgot the series even existed...

So that just makes me question, do you really like your series? Do you really like Maou Gakuin or Cthulhu Mythos or DC or Marvel or Umineko or what else, because you like their story, plot, characters, themes, and whatnot... Or just because the series is strong

Are you really a fan?

Ngl I should be honest, I like my series, does not matter if it is powerful or not. Plot matters more

I like Arifureta and Isekai at Peace because i tried and it just clicked actually, i didn't even knew that both Arifureta and Isekai at Peace is busted in battleboarding way, heck i didn't even knew the existence of this site when i first read Arifureta novel, it's when i reread Isekai at Peace when i found out about VSBW

But yeah, the reason why i like Arifureta is because the comedy stick and funny (to me ofc) with the world building, it's pretty good

And i like Isekai at peace because of the sugary goodness it can bring, I didn't even care bout what these character's rating look like tbh, they can be 5-C, low 1-C, or even tier 0 for all i care because i still like them

Over all, i like my favorite franchise because it clicked and I like it, battleboarding is what bring people's worst out in the open with the concept of "what if X and Y duke it out each other?" And since we're all bias, there will be some heated debate, especially when X and Y is a popular characters, that's my two cent

FRDTqZdWQAYog4p

None of my favorite series are that strong, though.

The God of Highschool currently caps at like 4-B to Low 2-C if some upgrades pass in the future, but like, that's not what drew me to it. I like it mostly because of the characters and I've always liked the concept of super-powered Martial Arts, and later in the series the writing and art becomes exponentially better. The power is fun and all but it ain't that much of a deal, if GoH deadass capped at like tier 6 or 5 I'd probably still love it.

I just like it because it's fun ig.

While Mashle only had like, 4 people that know of it on this forum, hopefully the anime changes that, I love it. It's characters are funny and have distinct personalities even if they play on tropes a lot of the time, and its world is intriguing. A series about wizard that clearly parodies Harry Potter, where the magic less are executed to keep the world pure and full of magic users. And the main character, Mash, is unique that he doesn't have any magic, only trained by his adoptive father who gave him training weights. No, he doesn't suck at using magic but excels in another form, he isn't powerless but given op powers from the world number 1, he just punches his way through magic with pure muscle. Because the message of the series is that even if you pack something others have, you can still rise to the top with the set of abilities you're good at. At least that's what was told from an editor interview. So yeah, even if the verse is capped at tier 6, the best tier, it's still great. If anyone is reading this, please check it out.

Anyway, the verses that I debate about how strong they are are almost never my favorites. Because like, some series just aren't interesting to debate about how strong they are.

You need to "choose" which ones interest you to discuss about, otherwise this site would make no sense

After the traumatic JJK threads, I honestly prefer to use simple verses that I like, with nothing too complex (OPM, Mashle, Wolfenstein, etc)

Last edited:
So my favorite series to powerscale is Bleach (which doesn't get nearly as strong as the verses OP mentioned), and before I got into powerscaling I liked the series fine. I thought of it as essenrially a haxxy Dragon Ball, where the fights were the only reason to really like it (and to be fair, imo the fights are really good in Bleach). But then I checked Ichigo's page out of curiosity and it ended up sending me down a rabbit hole of paying more attention to the series and what it is. I came out on the other side liking Bleach more for the characters and the surprisingly complex power meta and abilities rather than just because it was cool looking characters doing cool looking stuff.

And yet I still like plenty of other series overall a lot more than Bleach. My favorite series overall is One Piece, and I like it for the characters, overarching world and plot, theming, etc. Way more than I like the powerscaling. Although I do find that aspect interesting as well.

Overall I try not to be too up my ass about whether characters from my verses win their fights and instead I like the idea of acknowledging what both characters in any one matchup can reasonably do to the other. It's just that a lot of the time it's more one sided than it may seem on the surface and that probably upsets people.

My favorite verses are verses that aren't crazy OP, so of course I genuinely like those verses.

I can't even count how many Johnny Test threads I made, and WWE/Pro Wrestling is a verse I've been addicted to for the past few months.

I loved Touhou back when I thought it capped at low 2-C/MFTL+, and I love it now that I think it can be 1-A/immeasurable. It does such a great job with character writing, with so many important traits being conveyed through body language and small shifts in personality over years of development. The themes it covers are fascinating, and I could write a whole essay regarding the persistent themes of subjective truth, anti-capitalism/pro-anarchy, enviromentalism, and chuunibyou culture throughout the series. The series is also genuinely funny a lot of the time, having a very... nonchalant, I guess is the word? tone in regards to both actual events and its own jokes. The worldbuilding is also fascinating, and for everything that is well-established in the series, it always leaves enough variables for people to come up with fascinating and equally valid theories, feeding into the persistent doujin culture that Touhou has been a part of for so many years. This is all just the canon stuff, so many fanmade products have their own traits I think are wonderful as well.

There's probably a lot I missed, but I genuinely love this series more than anything else. Other special interests in my life have come and gone, but Touhou will forever be the one constant.

Honestly the first question that should pop into the minds of anyone looking to become a supporter for a verse.

And yes. I absolutely love my main verse, Ultra Series.

A generally fun series that makes full use of its medium, and is currently expanding even on that aspect. Like the non-fans who've the unfortunate pleasure of coming across the Riders present in the wiki, Ultraman similarly covers a vast amount of topics, even providing commentary of its own, especially prevalent during the Showa Era.

But I guess to explain why I love it, would be to say the gradual growth in the ability to fully appreciate the stories it presents, which never fails to entertain even when under serious narrative or production stresses. Not saying that as long as it's mindlessly amusing it's fine, but because you can spot through the cracks how passionate its creation had been despite the flaws.

Well, I guess I can take a quote from its most prominent character:

"There's no reason. That's how it's always been."

And it's true; it's a series that got me, eventually resonated with me, and ultimately provided good guidance for how I come to view to things. So eh, that's just the ramblings of one mad cutlery, I suppose.

Back