• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I am going on vacation soon

@Ant

I don't want to sounds rude or anything

but it think that for you to take an ACTUAL vacation from the wiki you would need to be momentarelly banned

because i feel like that's the only way he wouldn't just jump back in at every turn.

Every past time you said you would have a period off the wiki, you actually don't and pretty much are just still on the site.

For once, could you try to have an actual break please ? you very much need it, especially how you've been increesingly being more hostile in the current period and costantly being overtaxed with stuff

Thank you. I agree that I am stressed out and overworked, and hope that I will be able to work considerably less during the vacation. I don't think that I am being hostile though. I make an ongoing great effort to try to be as polite and respectful as I can.

... i think you missed the part about me suggesting a Temporally Banned to facilitate that

Also, knowing you, that "considerably less" would still be around the same level of a normal staff member

I can't ban myself, but working just 6-7 hours a day would still be far less than what I currently do, so that should hopefully be enough.

Antvasima said:
I can't ban myself, but working just 6-7 hours a day would still be far less than what I currently do, so that should hopefully be enough.
6-7 hours is the time for a standard job, it wouldn't be a vacation.

Also, couldn't you ask the other burocrats to temporally ban you ?

Well, I still have to participate in discussion threads, but perhaps I can skip the edit-patrolling. My vacation may also bump into some forum move work.

Ant, this is supposed to be your vacation, your days off the site, you're not supposed to work.

Just get those days off, don't think of the wiki, don't even look at it, think of only of having fun, because if you don't you might likely get a mental breakdown from overwork and nobody here wants that to happen to you

I have to agree with Over here. We only want what's best for you Ant, but you must realize that when you yourself comment constantly about how you're always overworked, tired and stressed it doesn't paint a good image of your health.

Well, I am admittedly a workaholic. I might be able to do what I usually do during vacation and only participate in important discussions, not patrol edits then. I am just more worried than usual that something bad will happen, due to the upcoming forum migration.

Ant the wiki will not brick itself over the forum. The transition will be annoying yes, but that doesn't mean we (and you) should fear it.

Sacrifising your leisure time, not to mention your health, for some unfounded gut feeling is not good.

You are probably correct. I am fine with working at half or less my normal pace during vacation though. I have been doing the same thing for the past 5 years.

I have to make sure that things remain a bit organised. I do not mind.

I have to go to sleep now though. Good night.

Let's not argue too much over this. Ant shouldn't be so hard on himself when it comes to working on the wiki, but I'm sure he knows his limits. Especially now he's going on vacation. So long as he's not pushing himself further than necessary and he's taking the time off how he wishes, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ant is very much not able to limit himself. as seeable by the fact that he said 6-7 hours would be not a lot of work when that's the standard for work hours and that he called himself workaholic.

Well, that's fair. And I honestly do hope that he gives himself the break he needs. I'm just saying that, if he wishes to continue working on managing the wiki while on vacation, and he doesn't push himself further than he has to, I'm sure everything will be fine.

I think that if I cut my daily work in half by only participating in discussion threads, as I usually do during vacations, that should probably be fine.

No need to be aggresive about this, Overlord. And the alcoholic comparison is hardly a fair one. I do genuinely agree with you that Ant probably deserves more of a break than he's giving himself. But after all this time, and after all of the differing opinions and pieces of advice he's gotten, he knows what's best for himself far better than any of us do.

Yes. Half regular worktime is fine, and sufficient for me to get a break. I have done this several times before.

I think this needs to be said, and pardon how harsh this may come across, because I've been holding this in for years but it's to the point that I think it needs to be said, but this is an utterly ridiculous mindset.

Ant, You need to take a break. What you're doing right now is completely ruining your health and mentality. Staying on the internet for as long as you do - Which is MUCH more than your average person, and I'd go as far as to say way above even the higher percentile, will end up literally killing you in the long run.

I can literally send you multiple studies of the negative side-effects it has, and how this sort of mentality will leave you emotionally dead and depressed when you're looking back when you're much older.

You can better this by doing A) Taking a day or so off each week, Not doing ANYTHING that involves being on this wiki or extended period on the internet. Or B) Take a long period off while not doing anything involving this wiki or much of the internet.

The problem that you have is that you try to do B, but you end up not even really taking a break whatsoever. No human needs to do this, and this paranoia that compels you to always come back, you need to get rid of it. Honestly. You formed a structure of Administrators and sub-categories for people taking care of a particular thing of the wiki. This is more than enough to take care of the wiki for you to take a week completely off, but for some reason, you act like if you leave everything is going to fall apart (You admitted this yourself at one point, don't know if you changed this reasoning.)

Point is, that's obviously not going to happen, and it makes you appear as if you don't really trust the very people you put in place to do the job without you. (But again, this point only applies if you have kept that view.)

"No need to be aggresive about this, Overlord. And the alcoholic comparison is hardly a fair one."

It really is a fair one. He typically says he'll work a lot less, but most times he works almost the same amount of time as he normally does.

"But after all this time, and after all of the differing opinions and pieces of advice he's gotten, he knows what's best for himself far better than any of us do. "

Maybe he's in the upmost rare exceptions where this doesn't really bother his health, but I don't think he's in that category - It's clear this is affecting his health negatively. And if so, he might not actually know what's best for himself, although he probably does know what's best for himself, but he is not willing to get himself it.

"Yes. Half regular worktime is fine, and sufficient for me to get a break. I have done this several times before. "

Ant, you aren't thinking long-term. Keep this up and this will, and I almost guarantee you from experience from seeing others do and think the same, end up leaving you a hollow shell of when you first started. This is not healthy for you no matter how you put it, and half the regular time is still the average workload for an employee - So this isn't going to be helping you in any long-term view.

If you want to continue like this, then so be it. But if you really want to truly better what will most likely happen to you if you don't change, you need to take this advice.

Well, I am autistic, not Aspergers, actually mid-level autistic in a few respects, and am largely mentally shut off from my physical surroundings anyway, and managing this wiki also gives me a sense of purpose that I didn't remotely have before.

Given this combination, I am able to work considerably harder than the average person in terms of monotonous repetitive mental focus without falling apart, as it is the way that I have fundamentally always functioned. I can handle working 10 hours a day 7 days a week without any problems. What causes problems for me is when there is even more work than that.

Also, I definitely trust the other staff members. I wouldn't have suggested all of them for promotions in the first place otherwise. The problem is that certain tasks in the wiki, particularly the edit-patrolling and discussion organisation, requires a full time work schedule to manage properly, and all of the other staff are busy IRL to different degrees, whether with school, work, family, and/or otherwise, so if I don't do it, it likely won't get done at all, which triggers my paranoia.

Seriously though, 5-6 hours of work a day is a vacation for me, and I will try to relax, read, watch movies, go snorkeling, and maybe dive a little bit.

Ant, maybe you should, you know, try to get a social life outside of the internet ?

Try to have face-to-face interation with people, maybe ?

It would sure help in reliving the stress from the wiki i think

Alright, alright, I get the point. I won't insist on my argument further than I need to.

Again, I am autistic. There are limits to how much you can demand from me socially. I have a few caretakers and other people who live here that I meet with every day. One of them also brings two dogs that I go on walks with regularly.

I am not, but I am not socially outgoing or versatile at all.

I am also rather literalminded and have limited mental filters. Given that I live in the most militantly and psychotically politically correct nation on the planet, and the crime rates have spiked through the roof in recent years, I would likely end up severely beaten at best if I started to talk about politics and statistics with strangers in public, and I don't really have much else than that and entertainment to talk about. I prefer to not get in trouble with my completely insane surroundings.

When you spend this much time monitoring the wiki youre bound to make your social skills worse. When I see you speak naturally at least online not worrying about what to say, you are so much less robotic and a really fun person to talk too. I too find it easier to talk online than in real life and i can tell you likely would as well. If you take the time to improve yourself and your mental health, you will eventually find that you are able to use that charisma you have deep down in real life as well. Autism and aspergers are things you can control. Youve just gotta put your mind to it and anything is possible.

And well, rough areas combine with autism is still something that can be worked around easily. You dont always have to talk about your political viewpoint unless someone asks you about it of course.

"5-6 hours is a break to me" is no excuse either. A break is there to take your mind off something and help you out. You dont need to put yourself in a bad situation just because you feel it is better than it normally is. You should make the most of the oppertunity given to you and that is taking your mind off the wiki for your own benifit.

Just take the break man. Dont contribute during that timeframe. Nothing bad will happen to the wiki even if you took a month off. Unless you gave me ownership of course

Actually, I think that my social organisation skills have improved a lot from taking responsibility for the wiki.

Anyway, we will see. I will try to only do the most important work during the vacation, and mostly relax as much as I am able to.

Back