• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hyperion Cantos Complete Overhaul

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Okay, so, after a LOT of work, I've (mostly) finished my work on the Hyperion revision.

At the bottom of this page, you'll see how the new verse page and the Shrike's profile will look. For the Shrike, I also intend to add a gallery section to it, and I have ready images.

Some calculations for the universe.

The explanation blog. I still need to link scans to the remaining 2/3 of the blog and maybe mention a few more inconsistencies, but information-wise, it is done.

As for the other Hyperion pages, delete them all. They are all wrong, lacking scans or have misinformation. The Shrike's power level is not based around what the MUI grants it, in fact, the MUI would rather see it destroyed. The Noble Guard (Not Crimson, Noble) do not have any "kilometers-long shockwave" feat, the Planet level feat is based around a lot of assumptions, (I guess that the thought process was that, since Albedo stated that the Noble Guard could take on anything of the Pax and that they were basically indestructible, and the TechnoCore could create black holes, maybe even taking into account some feats of armadas of spaceships obliteraring planets and stars, the Noble Guard would tank these attacks, which is not only based on a looot of assumptions, but they are blatantly wrong, the characters get visibly damaged by a lot of rather mundane things, and even with phase shifting, a City-level beam was enough to put a lot of pressure in them, and the TechnoCore continuously reminds them that it could destroy them whenever they wanted) the MFTL+ feat has no links or scans that supports it, the MUI does not control half of the universe. The only thing that could be vaguely considered correct in the profiles is the Shrike being beyond time... Which is still used out of context and taken literally.

So, tl;dr: Delete most of the verse, keep only the verse page and the Shrike, and use my versions in place. I'll add more profiles over time.

A question that is relevant to the revision, though: It is unknown if souls exist in Hyperion universe. Aenea, the most knowledgeable character of the universe about that kind of thing, as she knows the way Hyperion-verse knows up to its most basic and structural mechanics, believes that souls, as spiritual things, do not exist, and there are no things that would disprove her in the books. However, Raul has remarked that was her opinion, and the books do not really treat, say, de Soya's catholic belief as being wrong. Do we consider that Hyperion characters lack a soul, in that case?

A question that is relevant to the revision, though: It is unknown if souls exist in Hyperion universe. Aenea, the most knowledgeable character of the universe about that kind of thing, as she knows the way Hyperion-verse knows up to its most basic and structural mechanics, believes that souls, as spiritual things, do not exist, and there are no things that would disprove her in the books. However, Raul has remarked that was her opinion, and the books do not really treat, say, de Soya's catholic belief as being wrong. Do we consider that Hyperion characters lack a soul, in that case?
The evidence doesn't seem quite concrete enough to say anything with certainty in that regard.

Would need a bit more context around that. Do you have a scan for it or know in which book it takes place?
Of course. Rise of Endymion, Ch. 27. There are a few other times that Raul remembers Aenea talking about her belief that there was no such a thing as a soul of afterlife, but I didn't scan them as they were just things like "I remember Aenea saying that the soul dies with the body, and no afterlife could be expected". The thing that makes this even slightly worth of consideration is that Aenea is the one who knows the most about the universe's structure, about the Void-Which-Binds and the entire verse's history.
Btw, good work on this. That was quick.
Aw, thanks! I just had to piece together the scans on a more concise form.
On a side note, I was thinking of making Kim Shin myself, but you beat me to it. Nice.
Thanks! It's still a WIP with a Castle page, but after the Hyperion revision, I'll start working on it again. I'd love to discuss the profiles with ya before doing anything!

I'd love to discuss the profiles with ya before doing anything!
Great! I am behind by a few chapter but will catch up soon

other times that Raul remembers Aenea talking about her belief that there was no such a thing as a soul of afterlife, but I didn't scan them as they were just things like "I remember Aenea saying that the soul dies with the body, and no afterlife could be expected". The thing that makes this even slightly worth of consideration is that Aenea is the one who knows the most about the universe's structure, about the Void-Which-Binds and the entire verse's history
I see. I am not quite sure myself, so will wait and see what others say

No problem.

It seems better to wait a few days for you to update the pages instead. You can tell us here when you are done.

Back