• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How would you spell this characters name?

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
I've been preparing for creating profiles for the series "I, the female Robot". Once this calc is evaluated I'm pretty much finished with gathering and evaluating feats.
That brings me to an issue, which I have been thinking about for a long time: How should I spell the main characters name?
You see, the main characters name is spelt slightly different depending on where you look.
From what I could tell the Chinese original writing for the name is "奇琪". Obviously I can't just write it down in Chinese, so I will need to use a translation.
Now the manga translation uses an all caps font for all writing. In it, they usually refer to the main character as "QIQI". Obviously we don't want to spell the name in all caps, though. The spelling is also picked up in the (not all caps) titles on the translation sides. In those, one can find two different capitalizations of the name, though. One is "Qiqi" and the other is "QiQi".
Besides that, it should be noted that the main protagonist is, by her colleagues at the beginning of the manga, also referred to as "Professor Qi", suggesting that Qi is her surname and hence likely Qi her first name. From that perspective spelling, her Qi Qi instead would make sense. This spelling is for instance also picked up in the summary of the manga page (and in respect threads, although that probably has no relevance).

So, given this information how would you spell her name and why?
Personally I think QiQi looks best and reflects with its capitalization that the name is first and surname in one while matching the QIQI spelling most used in the manga.

Back