• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How to calculate speed under bigger gravity?

StorytellingDemonKing

God Universes
He/Him
Basically, I saw that Samus Aran is MHS+ via moving at Supersonic speeds on a planet under 960x gravity. How do you calculate this? Asking because there is a similar situation for me where a character can move at Mach 1282.798834 (lightning speed) under 10,000x gravity.

Dont take my word for it but i think i read somewhere that its just multiplying the speed with the gravity. Because the minimum for supersonic is mach 1.1, and 1.1x960=1056 which is MHS+. So i guess your character would be mach 12827988.3 or 14.67682 times the speed of light. But thats just my guess

Dont take my word for it but i think i read somewhere that its just multiplying the speed with the gravity. Because the minimum for supersonic is mach 1.1, and 1.1x960=1056 which is MHS+. So i guess your character would be mach 12827988.3 or 14.67682 times the speed of light. But thats just my guess
Ngl that was my guess to, but I will wait for more opinions.

How do you calculate this?
Gravity increases the threshold because it increases the air density, which then requires greater speed to overcome the sound barrier because it becomes less elastic. If you feel like doing calculus the formula for finding it out is here
For an ideal gas, K (the bulk modulus in equations above, equivalent to C, the coefficient of stiffness in solids) is given by

{\displaystyle K=\gamma \cdot p.}

Thus, from the Newton–Laplace equation above, the speed of sound in an ideal gas is given by

{\displaystyle c={\sqrt {\gamma \cdot {p \over \rho }}},}

where

• γ is the adiabatic index also known as the isentropic expansion factor. It is the ratio of the specific heat of a gas at constant pressure to that of a gas at constant volume (
    C_p/C_v
    ) and arises because a classical sound wave induces an adiabatic compression, in which the heat of the compression does not have enough time to escape the pressure pulse, and thus contributes to the pressure induced by the compression;
  • p is the pressure;
  • ρ is the density.

Back