• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How much energy would it take to "pulverize" Earth?

DivineAura44

He/Him
Turning it to ash or dust/grain. Edit: Vegeta stating he could well, reducing earth into space dust.

Last edited:
Actually, what you described is PULVERIZATION, which does seem to fit with Vegeta's statement

Vaporizing Earth literally turning all of Earth's mass into a gaseous state
Dust would form if you crushed it in your hands like a crushing machine, but that's not what ashes are, ashes (as in, the powdery substances) form only after you burn something, Vegeta's ki beams don't work like that. They vaporize outright. Plus, most of Earth is liquid so I don't see how you could reduce it all to ashes anyway minus the certain elements in it.

Of course, if you still want tiny black burnt fragments then the burning energy might be a bit lower than completely reducing it to vapor but you still have to overcome the Earth's GBE, which in reality is 2.49E+32 joules.

Last edited:
Dust would form if you crushed it in your hands like a crushing machine, but that's not what ashes are, ashes (as in, the powdery substances) form only after you burn something, Vegeta's ki beams don't work like that. They vaporize outright. Plus, most of Earth is liquid so I don't see how you could reduce it all to ashes anyway minus the certain elements in it.

Of course, if you still want tiny black burnt fragments then the burning energy might be a bit lower than completely reducing it to vapor but you still have to overcome the Earth's GBE, which in reality is 2.49E+32 joules.
You can vaporize pretty much anything with a high enough tempreature. And Burning =/= Vaporizing. Burning the entire mass of the planet to Ash is not the same thing as reducing all its mass to a gaseous state

I am pretty sure vaporization is turning to gas while pulverization is to crush into powder or dust. Vegeta was probably going to vaporize the planet.

You can vaporize pretty much anything with a high enough tempreature. And Burning =/= Vaporizing. Burning the entire mass of the planet to Ash is not the same thing as reducing all its mass to a gaseous state
Ashes =/= pulverization tho. To make ashes you need heat no matter what. Not the same case with pulverization.

In any case, I already made the separation with this particular line-
As in, yeah, ashes will yield a slightly lower value than actually reducing it all to gas (AKA outright vaping), but you still get the drift, it's not pulverization where you have to physically punch something to make it turn to dust without any involvement from heat or where you have to compress something like in a crushing machine. So my point regarding Vegeta's ki blast being mostly explosive-based where it burns away still sticks.

I am pretty sure vaporization is turning to gas while pulverization is to crush into powder or dust. Vegeta was probably going to vaporize the planet.
Vegeta outright stated he was gonna turn the planet to ashes with his ki blast. Ashes can't be formed via crushing, ashes can only be formed when you burn something.

Vegeta's ki blast doesn't grind away or compress the earth, it literally blasts and burns it away.

No you're wrong, pulverization is turning to ash since it's still a solid particle. Vaporization is turning something into a state of gas.
Mans asked for pulverization and you gave him vaporization.

Did you even read the wikipedia article yourself? It literally states the non-gaseous remains.
I think you need to read a bit further, right after that it literally says "after something burns". BURNS being the key-word here. You need to read the entire sentence, not stop halfway.

The feat would still be slightly above baseline 5-B tho, since you still have to overcome the GBE.
I guess, though not enough to really make a big change. Also the planet could just remain as an Ash ball, though Vegeta clearly intended to destroy the planet completely

I think you need to read a bit further, right after that it literally says "after something burns". BURNS being the key-word here. You need to read the entire sentence, not stop halfway.
Okay, but it has to meet both requirements not just one.

The problem here is vegeta's statement doesn't make sense because he says he'll pulverize the planet when he should be vaporizing it instead.

I guess, though not enough to really make a big change. Also the planet could just remain as an Ash ball, though Vegeta clearly intended to destroy the planet completely
Given the context? Nah, extremely unlikely, every single moon-busting and planet busting feat in DB has had the debris completely disperse upon exploding, never to reform again unless someone somewhere with Dragon Balls wished them back.

The problem here is vegeta's statement doesn't make sense because he says he'll pulverize the planet when he should be vaporizing it instead.
Again, ashes =/= pulverization, and Vegeta outright stated that he'd "Reduce the planet to ashes".

You do realize that the "fire" part is for natural occurence of ashes, right? Let's not cherry-pick here too much.
And by that same logic you're going off the idea that pulverization takes grinding only because that's pulverization's natural occurrence.

And by that same logic you're going off the idea that pulverization takes grinding only because that's pulverization's natural occurrence.
No? Pulverization, both natural and manmade, involve grinding, crushing or compressing of a material until it is reduced to fine particles. Read the definition properly next time.

You're still wrong because it also isn't vaporization
I stopped saying it was vaporization a while ago tho, I already admitted that it was reducing to ashes, which would yield a slightly lower value than full-blown vaporization.

Given the context? Nah, extremely unlikely, every single moon-busting and planet busting feat in DB has had the debris completely disperse upon exploding, never to reform again unless someone somewhere with Dragon Balls wished them back.
I know. I literally said that in the other sentence. Though while this isn't the case in DB, turning the planet to ash COULD theoretically mean what I said. A small possibility but still a possibility nontheless

Reducing to ashes it not vaporization; vaporization is heating it up till nothing but gas components remain; ashes are technically still solid. Though burning to ashes would mean the water is vaporized at least. Though, that's already gotten out of the way. Burning to ashes would be more like incineration or scorching. Which ranges from High 6-A to Low 5-B given the context iirc.

But Pulverization would just be crumbling everything till nothing is left by salt substances. But iirc, that would only get a Low 5-B result; because blowing a planet to space dust would still imply overcoming the GBE.

I don't think reducing a planet to Ash have a calc though.

I think it might be Low 5-B without also dispersing the Ash to space

I don't think reducing a planet to Ash have a calc though.

I think it might be Low 5-B without also dispersing the Ash to space
Well, reducing to ash isn't that far off from vaporizing, since to still retain some burnt material the temps only need to be slightly less hot than vaporizing temps, so yeah, but the difference could be quite miniscule.

Back