• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Herald of Thor P&A section

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoWarper

Bronze Supporter
Alright so the Herald of Thunder key of Thor (Marvel Comics) doesn't have a P&A section even though it should.

I don't know the story personally, from what i've seen he's the King of Asgard so does he have the "All powers of his base and Odinforce forms"?

Regardless he should have all the powers of Well-Fed Galactus due to absorbing all of his powers.

Scan 1

Scan 2

Scan 3

Scan 4

Scan 5

Scan 6

There may be more powers for the key but that can be discussed below.

Reactions: Rez
I hate the Cates run so much

But I think he should get listed Silver Surfer's powers instead of Galactus', as Galactus actually has stuff unrelated to Power Cosmic and instead related to his status and own intelligence. Thor absorbs Power Cosmic from Galactus, not anything else.

Oliver's proposals are fine.

But I think he should get listed Silver Surfer's powers instead of Galactus', as Galactus actually has stuff unrelated to Power Cosmic and instead related to his status and own intelligence. Thor absorbs Power Cosmic from Galactus, not anything else.

Oliver's proposals are fine.
Havnt read it so eh

So something like this?

“Possesses all the powers of his Base and Odinforce forms, as well as all the powers of Silver Surfer to a far higher degree, Clairvoyance (He can see what his crows see and they see what happens on earth)”

Thor only absorbed the power of Galactus for a few minutes at most, and expended it all to kill the Black Winter, if I remember correctly and did not misunderstand. He also never displayed the knowledge or skill to use any more powers than those he has already displayed. I do not think that we should use speculation in this regard.

I think that Jason Aaron did most of the basic damage by completely butchering the characterisation/personalities and recurrently the continuity of virtually every character that he has had his hands on, which are a lot of them at this point. He may be my least favourite current comic book writer together with Garth Ennis. Cates was mostly just left with the remaining wreckage.

I definitely did not like what Cates did to Donald Blake though, and then the end moral was that the mentally ill villain of the story was going to be systematically tortured. That was rather disturbing.

Last edited:
I think that Jason Aaron did most of the basic damage by completely butchering the characterisation/personalities and recurrently the continuity of virtually every character that he has had his hands on, which are a lot of them at this point. He may be my least favourite current comic book writer together with Garth Ennis. Cates was mostly just left with the remaining wreckage.

I definitely did not like what Cates did to Donald Blake though, and then the end moral was that the mentally ill villain of the story was going to be systematically tortured. That was rather disturbing.
I have enjoyed the God of Thunder run so far, at least the God Butcher part.

Ive been meaning to finish it.

Last edited:
Thor only absorbed the power of Galactus for a few minutes at most, and expended it all to kill the Black Winter, if I remember correctly and did not misunderstand. He also never displayed the knowledge or skill to use any more powers than those he has already displayed. I do not think that we should use speculation in this regard.
Hmm I guess thats fair however shouldnt he at least get fairly decent absorption? Unless something very specific allowed to him to absorb Galactus’ power of cosmic.

I was just going off what ive heard about it as like ive stated I havnt actually read the run.

Wait, the power up was for one arc only, shouldn't it be yeeted away?
I am not sure. Thor seemed to mostly use his skyfather power to drain and defeat Galactus. The power cosmic power-up of a standard herald shouldn't have made much difference.

I have enjoyed the God of Thunder run so far, at least the God Butcher part.

Ive been meaning to finish it.
Well, to each his own. I am not forcing you to share my tastes. I mainly just think that Aaron has distorted the personalities of most classic characters he has handled into something else, and then he should preferably stick to creator-owned work instead of messing up established continuity. His power levels are also all over the place.

My apologies for derailing though. Let's return to the main discussion.

Also wait why would it be just speculation to say he has all the powers from the Power Cosmic? It seems like a logical conclusion as we know he just fully absorbed Well Fed Galactus’ Power Cosmic so it seems fairly basic to assume hed have his powers. Now as Zark said hed only get Power Cosmic related powers not just all of Galactus’ powers.

Obviously we couldnt say hed use them in character but he should still have them. As for the skill and knowledge stuff couldnt that just be added to the weakness section? We could say that if Thor over exerts himself while using the Power Cosmic hed lose it for good.

I guess it just depends on how we treat it, he did only have it for a short period of time but honestly if we are going with that and ignoring that he did still have it why even have this key?

Well, to each his own. I am not forcing you to share my tastes. I mainly just think that Aaron has distorted the personalities of most classic characters he has handled into something else, and then he should preferably stick to creator-owned work instead of messing up established continuity. His power levels are also all over the place.

My apologies for derailing though. Let's return to the main discussion.
Fair enough, I havnt finished it and am not saying its perfect.

You are obviously well within your right to dislike it and there is reason to, I just personally dont.

Anyway yes we can leave this convo here

Again, I am not sure if he kept Galactus' power, or if he only used them to turn the latter into a bomb to destroy the Black Winter, and he has only demonstrated his regular powers at a greater scale than usual afterwards.

Okay, so he is just skyfather level afterwards then.

In that case we should probably remove his herald of thunder statistics key, and likely the quote and image as well.

Yeah cause alot of the other stuff like the Absorption and Clairvoyance can just be applied to his Odinforce key.

It seems there isnt much reason to have the Herald of Thunder key so ill agree with removing it and adding the stuff to the Odinforce key.

Last edited:
That seems like a good idea to me. Would somebody here who knows what they are doing be willing to handle it?

Also, should we remove the "Unworthy Odinson" image from Thor's page while we are at it?

Because it was an arc that was specifically made to humiliate and degrade the character, rather than the opposite, and did nothing to enhance the joy of the readers. Also, the image and the quote are comparatively bad.

Because it was an arc that was specifically made to humiliate and degrade the character, rather than the opposite, and did nothing to build on and enhance the joy of the readers. Also, the image and the quote are bad.
Absolute Cap; Odinson is the best Thor was in years
In all seriousness it doesn't actually matter what our opinions on a run's quality are, Luke was infamously controversial in the Last Jedi (as was the whole Trilogy), the Chibnall run on Doctor Who is infamously bad and Identity Crisis is probably the most panned singular comic alongside Ultimatum.

But they still happened; they're still notably canon to their respective works and there's no reason to let personal biases or opinions affect the way we treat them.

If Odinson is removed it should be because of it not fitting our criteria for notability - not because of any arbitrary "it doesn't enhance the joy of readers" as if we get the final say on what is and isn't attempted in art. The quote and image could easily be edited (hell the later has a whole thread dedicated to it)

I obviously disagree with the characterisation of Odinson throughout Aaron run, it was abysmal to the say the least, but I don't think it needs to be deleted. Its a huge part of his history now unfortunately.

Okay. I would rather forget that the run ever existed, as it essentially destroyed Thor as a character, but never mind then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back