• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Haxed Characters In-Depth: Beyond the Text Wall

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
I'm reviving an old thread Ever made. Doing this halfway as a favor to him and also as my own self.

We always look at a character's impressiveness via their skills. We wanna know how they were challenged, how it works, and more. But that doesn't make them good characters. So this thread is for what makes haxed characters actual characters? Like, why should we care about them aside from being OP? For example, Jire is OP (not in the hax way, but in verse he's almost undefeatable), but he's boring as paint drying. Meanwhile, Lucemo, an incredibly OP character, both in and out of verse, is an incredibly nuanced character. So are Madara and Aizen.

So choose a hax character, and tell us what makes them interesting beyond their hax.

We've already heard Reinhard half a dozen times, so we can skip him. Same with a majority people on my Mindhax thread, @Wok.

Most haxxed characters are incredibly one-dimensional. For example, to touch Pokémon - sure, a few Legendaries are haxxed, but aside from Mewtwo, literally none of them have interesting character development or intricate personalities.

Dialga and Palkia roar. Arceus? Meh, genocidal shit. Genesect? Has no actual reasoning. The Birds and the Dogs...self-explanatory.

Zoroark? Sure.

...Oh wait.

>No Reinhard

I don't really love or know much about another haxxed character besides him, almost everyone else has little to no hax

Oddly enough there are very haxxed characters that you read through their whole stories and (unless you legitimately stop to be analyzing their hax), you probably won't even notice their powers are bs that much since it usually isn't the focus of any story that actually gets published.

And this is coming from someone who is actually strict about this to a certain extent.

FateAlbane said:
Oddly enough there are very haxxed characters that you read through their whole stories and (unless you legitimately stop to be analyzing their hax), you probably won't even notice their powers are bs that much since it usually isn't the focus of any story that actually gets published.

And this is coming from someone who is actually strict about this to a certain extent.
Literally Silverio in its entirety

The Stalker has a very interesting character, about redemption and making things better. Clock of Atonement is only about 20 minutes long so it's worth the play if you ever get the chance to download it on your phone

Then do so again unless it's Madoka or Homura because I've heard them a million times too ovo.

Iapitus The Impaler said:
I feel like most incredibly hax characters are built up over the coarse of a story, so they don't seem to be that hax until you look at the full scope. There are exceptions of course
/\ This. It's easy to look at *actually great* characters who are OP and think they are "bad" or "made to be powerful" if we would just up and look at the profile, since the profile's purpose is to be a compilation of everything they demonstrated over the course of an entire series.

Many times if you read their verses there will be many chapters or interactions from them with other characters where they aren't even using any powers to begin with. lol

@ALRF From what you've told me about it, Silverio sounded like a good example of that, yes. o/

EDIT: Woops, this came as a reply to 14 somehow.

The real cal howard said:
Misogi is a great character. Tell me why though.
He is the antithesis to the heroes. He is destined to lose but gets up every time and keeps going. The quote on his profile says it all. He may be incredibly ****** up mentally, but he changed over the story. However, his redemption was literally killing him due to his nature as a minus. He has a horrible cover but he does want friends and love

I should make a video on this and go into more detail instead of just writing a few things I like about him. I remember back in early high school I actually did a full on essay about it for a character analysis

Then do so again unless it's Madoka or Homura because I've heard them a million times too ovo.
Do people who are simply OP without being haxed count? Like, people with ridiculously high stats compared to everyone else.

Misogi is a great character. Tell me why though.
Uuuuuuuh.

First off, his character is funny. He is the personification of never giving up because he always, always, always loses. He is a perv. He has cool powers. Has the best quotes in the manga. He is a sociopath but he grows into actually having friends. He is very human, or at least has so many flaws that I can sympathize with his character.

Misogi is my favourite character ever.

Here is a great video that I definitely recommend. There is a lot more to say about what makes Yoshikage Kira a great villain, but here is a start

What Makes a Villain Feel Real?-2
What Makes a Villain Feel Real?-2

Yea. At least, I think so. Idk if Ever's original thread allowed it.

Keep in mind that this isn't "hax characters are bad unless they're good". The thread is just to give attention to other parts of characters rather than their hax. Like a hot person being more than just their looks.

Do people who are simply OP without being haxed count? Like, people with ridiculously high stats compared to everyone else.

(*Prepares in-depth analysis blatantly copied of All Might*)

"Many times if you read their verses there will be many chapters or interactions from them with other characters where they aren't even using any powers to begin with. lol"

Cue Helios' chilling inside Ashley Horizo mind while giving him his juice... for two entire freaking routes

I wouldnt like if I said that I liked every single one of the characters in Medaka Box.

Every single one of them is interesting.

Mithos
I'd say he's an interesting character with a motivation that you can at the very least understand where he's coming from. Granted he does go a bit wonky due to his sister, but aside from that he believed that his way to saving the world, while pretty drastic is the best way to stop it. And the saddest thing is, the "sequal" to the game he's from practically proved his point as the conflict in his world still existed even when the main protagonist tried to say that there can be another way for others to live equally.

Let's see...

I guess the only really haxed character I actually like are the Daedric Princes from TES. But, most specifically (and kinda evidently, given that I made him), Hircine.

First of all, for a god, and especially a Daedric Prince, he is very agreeable. He has a strict code of honor he will abide to, and he will reward anyone that impresses him, even if they've actively harmed him in some way during the process, such as the Dragonborn (optionally) killing his hunters (whom he's shown to actually care for, unlike most other Daedric Princes), and him still being like: "Great entertainment, keep up the good work, here's a neat trinket".

Also, it helps that he is the Creator of Werewolves, which let's be honest, are some of the coolest creatures in any fantasy setting.

Also, while his hax is ludicrous in comparison to most other verses, it doesn't make him anywhere close to overpowered in his own verse. In fact, he is defeated multiple times throughout the lore of the games, both internal and external, and likely countless more times that we don't know about by other god or mortals.

His motivations to just seek the biggest chase are also relateable, to a degree. There are many people who desire nothing more in their lives than to seek the biggest thrill, and this is no different. This, along with his flaws, and occasionally losing, make him decently human for a god in fiction.

Who's Mythos?

Facepalm. You know full well I was talking about Mithos >_>

Yogiri Takatou is an OP, completely unstoppable force of nature from the very begining of the story.

In my opinion the thing that generally makes his character, and by extension the rest of the story, so enjoyable is other character's reaction to his power and the audience constantly learning more and more things about it. Characters will constantly believe they are completely unbeatable or one of the strongest people in the world, only to Witness or be struct by Yogiri's Instant Death, leading to plenty of epic and hilarious moments.

Another really cool aspect is the comedic trio of Yogiri, Tomochika, and Mokomoko. Even though the world is exceptionally dangerous (To most people), it's mostly played for laughs because of Yogiri's OP ability and nonchalant atitude as a result of his power.

I'm not really good at this kind of stuff, so, sorry if it's a bit hatd to understand in some points.

• Diavolo (JoJo)
Admittedly, when I first read Part 5, I didn't really like his character. Too little screen time, especially when compared to Kira, the convoluted Doppio thing was strange, and the fact that he appeared with his actual design for three chapters made it hard for me to personally hate him. Also, "Diavolo" is Italian for devil, so you can easily imagine how cringeworthy it was and how much I wanted to facepalm.

But, after I finished the part, and I started to think it up, I actually started to realize how much of a good villain it was. Not yet "Kira level" of good, but pretty good regardless.

The guy is relatively haxed. He has precognition of the next 10 seconds, and it's the kind of precog that can't be modified by the user's actions. Unite this ability with his time erase, which lets him "erase" time, nullificating the effects of things but not the cause (for example, if he got shot while in time erase, he'd end up fine but the bullet will still be behind him), makes him pretty much invincible as long as he's around the same AP as the opponent. Every time someone tries to attack him, he precogs and time erases when he gets attacked.

This guy's powers are actually very ironic. The character is obsessed with his past, and he tries to delete it as much as he can, destroying evidence and even going as far as trying to kill his daughter. But his powers cannot manipulate the past but only the future.

He's kind of a metaphor of humans themselves. We all have the power to change our future, but sometimes, we are too obsessed with the past that we can't move on. I think this is what his character is meant to represent.

And man, I wanted to do more characters, but I guess I'll do that later.

@TP

JoJo question:

Choose your stand: The World, Killer Queen, King Crimson, White Snake (cuz f*ck Made in Heaven), D4C.

King Crimson is OP, but I really don't see How I could use it in an interesting manner.

Killer Queen is absolutely useless. White Snake even more, though mindhax may still be useful instead of stealing people's memories.

I know nothing about D4C, so GG. ZA WARUDO could be useful, but takes training to use and 2 seconds of stopped time is basically nothing as I don't have cinematic time with me.

Either King Crimson or White Snake.

Back