• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hax resistance for the Doom Slayer

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Yes. This is a thing. And I want it to be known.

First off, even if this doesn't go through, we should probably move the 'survives the powerups of Hell' thing to Doom Slayer's key, since the negative effects of those (exploding organs, insanity, etc.) are only described in his game.

But anyway, yeah. In digging up all the information I could find, I ran into some really interesting stuff in the game's UAC Report Files. (Which more or less serve as in-game bits of story) If all of this should be taken at face value, it would mean that Doom has resistances to certain kinds of hax, and fairly good ones at that.

• Mind Manipulation: We've already got the seeds for this one on his profile; Doom is capable of using the powerups of Hell with no side effects whatsoever, despite some of them being just about fatal to normal people. One of these powerups, the Berserk sphere, is stated in its UAC Report File to leave its users 'in a perpetual state of delirium' after being exposed to the sphere. Doom uses this thing several times throughout the game, and yet he's always walking tall afterwards, decidedly...okay, he was hardly ever portrayed as sane in this game, but he's by no means 'perpetually delirious' after the sphere wears off.
  • Death Manipulation (this may also include Mind Manipulation): The Summoner in DOOM 2016 is capable of blasting its foes with Argent energy waves. As detailed in one of its Report Files, it can choose whether or not this kills the victims for good or transforms them into The Possessed, and it's said that it 'selects the most resilient of combatants' for the latter. Doom's easily the most 'resilient' character in the game, and he's been fighting these things for countless centuries. Despite that, he's remained completely un-transformed up to this point, and can survive the energy waves in-game without any fear of transformation whatsoever. (Though they do seem to hurt a lot) More than that, the Possessed themselves have a Report File which says that this has the potential to happen to anyone who gets exposed to Argent energy, and that The Possessed are telepathically linked to higher-ranking demons who give them orders.
  • Possession and Soul Manipulation: I direct you to the Lost Soul, which just recently earned itself a profile on our wiki. The Report File on these little things states that their exploding attacks are a means for them to possess their victims and directly claim their souls. Yet again, Doom's been fighting these things for a long time, and not only is his soul completely intact, he's also capable of surviving a direct hit from their exploding attacks. Without shields up.
It may just be wishful thinking on my part, but all of it looks promising. What say you all?

It all seems good to me, though I'm unsure about the Necromancy bit, sounds more like resistance to possession/mind manipulation

It's not possession. Despite the name, The Possessed are basically just the game's undead, and the Argent waves that convert them are stated to cause 'clinical death' and 'necrosis on the internal organs (with the exception of the brain)'. A more powerful form of necromancy involves turning the living into the undead against their will, so I feel like this is an example of that.

Wouldn't that just be resistance to Death Manipulation? Resistance to necromancy makes it sound like his corpse can resist being brought back to life, but here, he's resisting the magical death properties of the energy.

...Yeah, I suppose that makes more sense. I'll go ahead and switch it out.

EDIT: Done.

I suppose that this seems reasonable, but would appreciate further community input.

Well, in lack of further staff input, I suppose that this seems acceptable to add to the page.

Back