• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Harry Potter's profile is... confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
So, the Harry Potter (character) profile has some issues, namely the spells listed on his Notable Attacks/Techniques list aren't added to his Powers and Abilities list.

Stalker Maggot and I have a list of the following powers that need to be added to Harry's profile from his own attacks/techniques section:

There are a few I am unsure as what to classify as, like Patronus Charms, Rictusempra and a few others, so help would be appreciated as to what to classify them as.

It says it wards off evil spirits, so I reckon Patronus could be considered as a Holy Manipulation of some sort?

Don't think Erecto and Reparo classify as technology manipulation.

Imperio and Stupefy don't classify as sleep manipulation.

Point Me doesn't classify as extrasensory perception.

Patronus isn't an illusion actually, and Sectumsempra also doesn't cause illusions.

I'm not sure if Harry has ever used, or knows how to use Undetectable Extension Charm or Leglimency.

Rest seem fine.

Reparo can apparently fix certain items, given its description, so I assume it is likely technology manipulation.

Point Me apparently lets the user always point North, acting as a compass for better navigation. That seems pretty extrasensory to me.

Undetectable Extension Charm and Leglimency are listed as spells he can use on his profile

Addressing some issues pointed out above

Patronus would be Summoning and Holy Manipulation, as stated above.

Reparo would, I guess, be sort of Healing for objects? We don't really have a power that defines this.

Erecto would probably just be Telekinesis, since it just lifts the already available objects into place.

Imperio would be Mind Manipulation and possibly Corruption

Stupefy would kind of be a mix of Paralysis Inducement and Sleep Manipulation

Point Me could count as Extrasensory Perception and also technically limited Magnetism Manipulation, though you would need to define that it acts as a compass

Sectumsempra would maybe be Weapon Creation, since it cuts the target?

I agree to leave off the Extension Charm for now, since Harry has never used it (Hermione has), though it is likely that Harry knows it

Harry has accidentally used Legilimency though against Snape, if I remember correctly.

I'm not familiar with the verse very much, I'm just solely off the profile's description for the spells

Technology manipulation isn't just fixing a broken item.

Point Me has nothing to do with sensing though, it just works like a compass and points to North.

Stupefy just stuns the target, doesn't put them to sleep or paralyze them.

Sectumsempra is a cutting attack. Nothing about it is weapon creation.

If he used Leglimency accidentally then I guess limited telepathy would be fine.

Imperio would be mind manipulation, yes.

Point Me has nothing to do with sensing though, it just works like a compass and points to North.

Sounds like perception to me.

Stupefy just stuns the target, doesn't put them to sleep or paralyze them.

Stupefy stuns targets and knocks them unconscious

Sectumsempra is a cutting attack. Nothing about it is weapon creation.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how to define this spell. I just put that to give a possible ability. Probably would just be Telekinesis

Robot972 said:
Sounds like perception to me. Stupefy stuns targets and knocks them unconscious
I'm against giving an ability which has an expansive use in sensing and detecting living beings to someone who can just tell which way is North.

Neither of those things are sleep or paralysis.

Ok, Harry does not know how to use the Extension Charm. Saying that just because Hermione has, therefore, he knows it is wrong, Hermione is a much more skilled magician than Harry.

Reducto would be Deconstruction

Stupefy is practically just a magical punch to the head. We don't need an ability for that.

Point Me literally just spins the user's wand to face North. If we give Harry Enhanced Senses for this, then we give the same to every character that knows how to use a compass.

Also, saying that Harry has accidentally used Legilimency against Snape is false. Snape tried to use Legilimency on Harry, who threw up a Shield Charm that reflected the effect back on Snape. Harry cannot use Legilimency.

Ok, Harry does not know how to use the Extension Charm. Saying that just because Hermione has, therefore, he knows it is wrong, Hermione is a much more skilled magician than Harry.

I said it's POSSIBLE that he knows it

I agree with Crimson on Reducto. Knew we had an ability like that, but I couldn't find it.

The Harry Potter wiki doesn't really specify when Harry used it (It's at some unknown point in the books), but it seems that they're using it as an explanation for Harry's visions of Voldemort's thoughts.

I've updated the power listings in the OP accordingly. Would these abilities be fine to add?

Crimson Azoth said:
Also, saying that Harry has accidentally used Legilimency against Snape is false. Snape tried to use Legilimency on Harry, who threw up a Shield Charm that reflected the effect back on Snape. Harry cannot use Legilimency.
This. Snape had been screwing Harry's head in their Occlumency lessons for weeks prior to that, so Harry got mad and tried Protego right as Snape was getting ready to enter his mind again during that scene.

Harry's ability to see Voldemort's thoughts is also specific to Voldemort only, due to an established link that Harry has to Tom. The very end of the series tells us that Harry was made into one of Tom's Horcruxes on accident, so it's highly likely (possibly even outright stated) that this link comes from Harry literally having a piece of Tom's soul inside of him.

I know I'm supremely late to this, but it needed clarifying.

And considering he loses that link after Voldemort died, he likely doesn't have that stuff anymore

Okay, I think the approved changes were already made. Should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back