• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Half Life: Gorgeous Freeman HEV Upgrades/Revisions.

I have no knowledge on HL unfortunately, but I like the character a lot and what to use Gordon in vs matches so I will bump here where I can.

I think you should tally all the people who agree, are neutral and disagree so you get a gist of how much support you have.

Anyway what admin should we call to get this thing approved?
Agnaa, EVenom, Armor and Abstract have commented in this thread a while back, though I don't know if they have seen the hopefully final version of the updated profile. Would probably good to see what they think of the result.

Anyway, I'll be writing a summary of the changes here, so that people can see what was changed and decide if it's good to apply.

Bump!
Summary of Changes
Current Revision
  • Instead of being a weird composite of both HL1 and HL2, it now has seperated Keys for the original and the sequel (+ Episodes).
  • Powers and Abilities have been seperated by Base, Weapon and Resistances.
  • Attack Potency now has calcs and better explanations.
  • Speed was downgraded to Athletic Human as Superhuman had no explanation. Subsonic+ Reactions has better explanation and the Profile includes the Attack Speed of Gordon's weapons.
  • Lifting Strength was downgraded to "At least Above Average Human" as Superhuman had no explanation (why is this a theme?). Above Average Human due to carrying around a large amount of weapons and being comparable to Alyx Vance who is capable of fighting Zombies physically, which are capable of throwing Barrels. Gravity Gun is still Class 1, but has slightly more explanation.
  • Durability was downgraded, kinda. The Airstrike Feat is rejected.
    • HL1 Durability without batteries is Small Building level due to taking hits from Zombies (0.007 Tons of TNT), which is then higher after Apprehension where Gordon can encounter Alien Grunts and take hits from them (0.025 Tons of TNT).
    • HL2 Durability without batteries is an even higher Small Building level due to taking hits from a Suppression Device and AR2's, which can consistently vaporize other humans and Combine Soldiers in way less hits (0.074 Tons of TNT)
    • Both Keys Durability with batteries is Small Building level+ due to being able to take hits from their own explosions point-blank (0.168 Tons of TNT)
  • Stamina is now Superhuman instead of High and Intelligence was shortened tremendously.
  • Range was upgraded from "Several to Tens of meters" to "Tens to Hundreds of meters" due to what weapons Gordon uses.
  • Speaking of weapons: the Standard Equipment section includes the weapon table of the original and improves it and seperates it by Key.
I think this is all the changes included in the Profile right now, correct me if I missed anything.

Shorter Version

Everything except the HL1 Crowbar get upgraded to 9-A, with explosives and Experimental Weapons being 9-A+. Gordon's durability is reduced to being comparable to his normal weapons and his durability with batteries are 9-A+. Speed and LS were downgraded and Range was upgraded.

Gordon can no longer socially influence co-workers that want to help him, but he can breath underwater, be stealthy in alien worlds he hasn't seen before and negate damage pretty decently. Gordon also has IPhone Eyelids and Aimbot, but they have questionable canonicity (Any opinions on this would be great).

I think you should tally all the people who agree, are neutral and disagree so you get a gist of how much support you have.

Last edited:
Yes it would. If those are real life guns. The attack speed would be supersonic to supersonic +
No? Gordon's fastest weapons are both Supersonic and his slowest weapons are Subsonic+. When has it ever been a standard that IRL Weapons will be faster, just because the fictional character using them have faster than human reactions?

Actually, speaking of weapons, I found that the RPG is slower than the MP5, which I claimed to be the slowest, and the Resistance Crossbow (106.68 m/s) is slower than the AT4, so I corrected those details.

Bump!
Summary of Changes
Current Revision
  • Instead of being a weird composite of both HL1 and HL2, it now has seperated Keys for the original and the sequel (+ Episodes).
    • Removed Social Influencing, as the explanation is incredibly weak, considering the situation it's being used in (Convincing Co-Workers to help during a Alien Invasion, when they already want to help + Convincing Humans fighting against an Alien Empire that took over Earth, where not resisting would result in humanity's extinction)
    • Base includes 3 new definite abilities: Underwater Breathing, Stealth Mastery and limited Damage Reduction.
    • Base includes 2 new abilities with possible canonicity: Enhanced Senses and Homing Attack/Lock-On Targetting. Any opinions on this would be great.
    • Weapons includes Energy Manipulation and includes the Hivehand in the Homing Attack explanation.
    • Resistances includes Acid Manipulation (due to Antlion Worker and Bullsquid spit) and High Pain Tolerance was changed to a Pain Manipulation Link.
  • Speed was downgraded to Athletic Human as Superhuman had no explanation. Subsonic+ Reactions has better explanation and the Profile includes the Attack Speed of Gordon's weapons.
  • Lifting Strength was downgraded to "At least Above Average Human" as Superhuman had no explanation (why is this a theme?). Above Average Human due to carrying around a large amount of weapons and being comparable to Alyx Vance who is capable of fighting Zombies physically, which are capable of throwing Barrels. Gravity Gun is still Class 1, but has slightly more explanation.
    • HL1 Durability without batteries is Small Building level due to taking hits from Zombies (0.007 Tons of TNT), which is then higher after Apprehension where Gordon can encounter Alien Grunts and take hits from them (0.025 Tons of TNT).
    • HL2 Durability without batteries is an even higher Small Building level due to taking hits from a Suppression Device and AR2's, which can consistently vaporize other humans and Combine Soldiers in way less hits (0.074 Tons of TNT)
    • Both Keys Durability with batteries is Small Building level+ due to being able to take hits from their own explosions point-blank (0.168 Tons of TNT)
  • Stamina is now Superhuman instead of High and Intelligence was shortened tremendously.
  • Range was upgraded from "Several to Tens of meters" to "Tens to Hundreds of meters" due to what weapons Gordon uses.
  • Speaking of weapons: the Standard Equipment section includes the weapon table of the original and improves it and seperates it by Key.
I think this is all the changes included in the Profile right now, correct me if I missed anything.

Shorter Version

Everything except the HL1 Crowbar get upgraded to 9-A, with explosives and Experimental Weapons being 9-A+. Gordon's durability is reduced to being comparable to his normal weapons and his durability with batteries are 9-A+. Speed and LS were downgraded and Range was upgraded.

Gordon can no longer socially influence co-workers that want to help him, but he can breath underwater, be stealthy in alien worlds he hasn't seen before and negate damage pretty decently. Gordon also has IPhone Eyelids and Aimbot, but they have questionable canonicity (Any opinions on this would be great).
Hey, I'm the guy who created the old post calling for the thread to be changed. I think all of this stuff is great and I think it should be used for the thread update. So my vote is a "yes" on all the changes. Especially the airstrike finally being taken off there. What were the final rulings on the outrunning C4 feat and taking hits from the Gargantua for durability? Are they on that draft or am I just missing them, or did something happen where those got tossed?

In regards to the IPhone Eyelids and Aimbot, I don't see any reason to exclude either from the post. They're referenced in official material such as the instruction manuals, in particular the Official Prima Guide for the second game mentions that the zoom-in is a feature of the suit. In regards to how they work without Gordon wearing a helmet, his original designer and a developer on the games has stated once that he does wear the helmet in-game, it's just not shown to the player. That does however conflict with his appearance in Opposing Force. I think just noting that they're ambiguously-canon gameplay features is a good way to go about it, they're really not that important.

Last edited:
No? Gordon's fastest weapons are both Supersonic and his slowest weapons are Subsonic+. When has it ever been a standard that IRL Weapons will be faster, just because the fictional character using them have faster than human reactions?

Actually, speaking of weapons, I found that the RPG is slower than the MP5, which I claimed to be the slowest, and the Resistance Crossbow (106.68 m/s) is slower than the AT4, so I corrected those details.
If that's the case make his attack speed rating subsonic + up to supersonic. Strange that a combine assault rifle attack speed is slower than a 1800s musket's.

What were the final rulings on the outrunning C4 feat and taking hits from the Gargantua for durability?
Gargantua 8-C was decided to be discussed for a later thread, preferrably when Hunter vaporization also gets evaluated, and the C4 Feat wasn't accepted yet, so we can't insert it until it gets evaluated
In regards to the IPhone Eyelids and Aimbot, I don't see any reason to exclude either from the post. They're referenced in official material such as the instruction manuals, in particular the Official Prima Guide for the second game mentions that the zoom-in is a feature of the suit.
Glad to see some confirmation for Zoom-in, as long as it's not contradicted by any canon source of higher value, then it should be okay. Still doesn't fully confirm the canonicity of aim assist, with how different the PS2 Port is while still having Decay, something that is (or should be) considered canon.
In regards to how they work without Gordon wearing a helmet, his original designer and a developer on the games has stated once that he does wear the helmet in-game, it's just not shown to the player. That does however conflict with his appearance in Opposing Force. I think just noting that they're ambiguously-canon gameplay features is a good way to go about it
I wish it was that simple, Also it's contradicted by literally every piece of promotional art ever and Gordon appears helmetless in Blue Shift and Alyx also. Also there really isn't an excuse for him not having a Helmet, as a Helmet playermodel does exist.
If that's the case make his attack speed rating subsonic+ up to supersonic. Strange that a combine assault rifle attack speed is slower than a 1800s musket's.
I did it like nearly a year ago... and here's how it looks like now:
Subsonic+ to Supersonic attack speed (Slowest weapon is the Armbrust and the fastest is the Revolver) | Subsonic to Supersonic attack speed (Slowest weapon is the Resistance Crossbow and the fastest is the SMG)
Also the AT4 is not the AR2, a.k.a. the Combine Pulse Rifle, incase if there was confusion. I am not aware of any stated or canonical speed for the Alien Rifle, but it should be at least faster than the Projectile weapons like the RPG (AT4) or the Resistance Crossbow (Crossbow with canon speed).

Now I am busy but I did a small solid and put feats that need evaluation, specifically the C4 speed feat and Hunter Vapor feat but I know I missed a lot they are just the ones my semi mortal eyes can do before going back to work.

Gargantua 8-C was decided to be discussed for a later thread, preferrably when Hunter vaporization also gets evaluated, and the C4 Feat wasn't accepted yet, so we can't insert it until it gets evaluated

Glad to see some confirmation for Zoom-in, as long as it's not contradicted by any canon source of higher value, then it should be okay. Still doesn't fully confirm the canonicity of aim assist, with how different the PS2 Port is while still having Decay, something that is (or should be) considered canon.

I wish it was that simple, Also it's contradicted by literally every piece of promotional art ever and Gordon appears helmetless in Blue Shift and Alyx also. Also there really isn't an excuse for him not having a Helmet, as a Helmet playermodel does exist.

Also the AT4 is not the AR2, a.k.a. the Combine Pulse Rifle, incase if there was confusion. I am not aware of any stated or canonical speed for the Alien Rifle, but it should be at least faster than the Projectile weapons like the RPG (AT4) or the Resistance Crossbow (Crossbow with canon speed).
For tech that supercedes humanities by thousands of years you'd expect a combine pulse rifle to outmatch the fastest ARs

I wouldn't really use promotional artwork as a knock against the helmet theory - it's not like they're in-universe pictures of canon events, and obviously they're going to show Gordon's face in those images and not a generic helmet - and his appearance in Alyx was just an illusion. Still, I agree that Blue Shift and Opposing Force are enough to cast doubt on the designer's statement.

This is probably the last thing I say regarding the Helmet vs Helmetless debate, as it isn't really that important for this thread (something you said), but I hope this statement can give people an understanding on this matter, if they really find it that important.
I wouldn't really use promotional artwork as a knock against the helmet theory - it's not like they're in-universe pictures of canon events
Yeah, it's impossibly for them to be "In-Universe" pictures of canon events, but that doesn't mean that the intent (or any) is gone. Also this one is Blast Pit and this is Route Kanal.
and his appearance in Alyx was just an illusion.
...an Illusion created by the G-Man, you know? the Man that recreated Pre-Disaster Black Mesa, a Tram, the citadel and possibly Xen pretty accurately and he has created illusions of humans before, so why would the Gordon Freeman one be the only exception? The one character that G-Man actively stalked for around 5 days (Earth time, not void prison time) and had a "Heart-to-Heart" scene with is the one that he accidentally makes the fatal mistake of the helmet being invisible? HL:A Alyx doesn't even know how Gordon looks like, only knowing that he has used a Crowbar, something that G-Man has shown Alyx, yet proceded to show the man himself anyway.

Also, even if Gordon having a helmet was possible for Black Mesa (disregarding the train sequence from Barney's perspective or the camera sequence after that and assuming that specific suit has a retractable helmet and not a holdable one, since it doesn't appear on the model), it would be nearly impossible for post-Combine takeover as the suit doesn't have a helmet (nor is he ever given one) and he can't bring it with him as he's dropped in a middle of train without being recognized.
There's also Eli actually taking a look at Gordon Freeman's face, noting how he hasn't changed one iota. Whether this is evidence or not, I don't know, but it's there.
Anyways, it's time to see if people agree with the changes or not.

This thread really died out.

From what i see we have multiple Building Level+ feats. It'd be good if someone could list all the calced feats.
These are all the Building level feats that we have right now, but they are either unevaluated or confusing to scale. We also already agreed to have it be a discussion for another time while we try to complete this CRT with calculations that are already accepted and easier to scale, which are 9-A to 9-A+

These are all the Building level feats that we have right now, but they are either unevaluated or confusing to scale. We also already agreed to have it be a discussion for another time while we try to complete this CRT with calculations that are already accepted and easier to scale, which are 9-A to 9-A+
You would be right. We should tackle the already accepted calculations. But when is that gonna get done? Are there more 9-A calcs in the work? Hasn't everything regarding the 9-A calcs been finished and accepted like a long time ago? If so what's the hold up?

You would be right. We should tackle the already accepted calculations. But when is that gonna get done? Are there more 9-A calcs in the work? Hasn't everything regarding the 9-A calcs been finished and accepted like a long time ago? If so what's the hold up?
  1. What gets done? the CRT?
  2. I am making another blog with 9-A calcs, but it's more of supporting feats or they don't apply to Gordon, so don't delay this thread for that one blog.
  3. Yes, check the summary of changes post, the 9-A calcs that were mentioned are used there.
  4. voting and staff approval.

I think it's pretty clear that everyone who cares about the page wants to see these changes made. Can we get a mod in here already to discuss actually applying the changes?

@Armorchompy @Abstractions Hate to bother you guys, but we've been trying to get changes approved for the Gordon Freeman page for a while now. Pretty much everyone involved in the thread agrees on the changes, it's all been approved, you can find them a bit further up. Can we get the go ahead to change the page?

Bump!
Summary of Changes
Current Revision

Shorter Version

seems ok

Back