• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gordon Freeman Revisions

Hey, I tried making an update to the Gordon Freeman page and I saw that it got reverted. I'm not really familiar with this website so I guess I'm supposed to make a post here first? Basically I disagree with the feats used in the durability section cause neither are really accurate. However he does have different durability feats that should still put him in small building level.

This is the current section for his durability:
Durability: At least Small Building level+ with the HEV suit (Capable of surviving an airstrike; took the explosion of the Citadel´s ceiling who destroyed the roof; can survive lasers which do this much damage)

The airstrike in question he can't actually survive in-game. I checked, and the person who did the calc even says in the comments of that post "when does he survive it?" Here's some footage from youtube of someone not surviving the airstrike:

They're not at full HEV charge, but I checked myself and even with full HEV charge you can't survive the strike in-game.

He also didn't really take the explosion on the Citadel, the Vortigaunts and the G-Man stepped in and that makes the feat really vague. You can see them take him away at the end like they did with Alyx, so it probably isn't very usable as a durability feat:

Alyx also later credits the Vortigaunts with saving them:

The laser thing is legit though, you can survive exposure to the beam in game for a while, so I think that could stay if the page got changed. Anyways here are the feats that I think should replace those two:

In Half-Life 2, he can survive several shots from the Combine's suppression cannon without dying:

This same suppression cannon is able to blow up a building:

I think, without calcing or anything, this is probably close enough to be equal to the airstrike feat. There is also a feat that could maybe get higher than small building, but I don't know how to calc it or anything. At the end of Episode 1, he's able to survive an explosion from the Citadel (a different one than the one I mentioned before), though he's pretty far away:

The blast is so big I can't imagine it not being good. He gets knocked out by it, but survives even though it wrecks the train he's on:

So yeah, I think the durability section needs an update. I also think that the intelligence section could be trimmed cause some of the stuff in there isn't very useful, also the page doesn't list all of his guns, and I think also this could be added to his speed:

In-game, he is able to outrun a C4 explosion, though it does seem kind of slow. I guess someone could take a look at it still.

I'm not sure if this would affect other Half-Life threads, but I only particularly care about Gordon I guess.

I was actually considering a revision of this myself, because I do agree that the airstrike feat shouldn't be there.

This seems fair to me.

It should probably get calc'd before the old feats are removed tho. Otherwise we'd have an unsubstantiated 9-A+ tier or a completely Unknown profile in the interim.

Don't forget to update his Attack Potency, he can kill opponents who can harm him, for some reason he is only Wall Level, while his enemies (which he can kill/overpower by the way) are Small Building Level+! he really needs to get 9-A+ AP since he can kill enemies who have such Level. In my opinion, it should be more like: 9-A+ with physical blows (crowbar), higher with weapons (as such in HL1, the crowbar is the least damaging weapons in Gordon's arsenal, even the Glock 17/Beretta 92FS surpass it, while the Colt Python and SPAS-12 and others are leagues above the 9mm's, and is still one of his least effective weapons).

And also, I just realized something regarding the Combine Pulse Rifle Energy Ball from HL2, it should have about 300 Megajoules worth of energy considering it can vaporize humans right? Well, not only can it still vaporize multiple humans and keep going until it explodes, but I also realized that an UNSHIELDED Gordon Freeman can tank about several of these things, as Gordon only takes 15 points of damage from these, and when he's shielded, he can take even more.

Last edited:
...that seems weirdly out of place. He got his ass kicked from behind by 2 peak human soldiers but he could somehow negate logic and destroy a tank with a crowbar? Nuts!
Then those guys sure aren't just peak human.

Anyway, like I mentioned, he can destroy tanks. I think it's fair to compare those tanks with an M1 Abrams, which would, once again, give Gordon 9-A stats. This seems pretty consistent with the suppression cannon feat that OP showed us.

Then those guys sure aren't just peak human.

Anyway, like I mentioned, he can destroy tanks. I think it's fair to compare those tanks with an M1 Abrams, which would, once again, give Gordon 9-A stats.
Not really the amount of energy needed to destroy the tank needs to be divided the amount of hits that was needed. But even then these soldiers couldn't survive being squished by a car.

This Thread kinda got replaced by this one, which exists cause this one got buried. This also means that some points are outdated cause they were discussed there. I do agree with the OP that Gordon's Dura (and possibly Speed) needs updating.

I agree with the Airstrike and Citadel explosion, OP makes a good explanation. The Suppression Device is good too, but...

I think, without calcing or anything, this is probably close enough to be equal to the airstrike feat.
Calculated it. Assuming Low End (cause that's the most comparable and likely) it's 0.1229 Tons of TNT while the Airstrike is 134.9 Megajoules or 0.03224 Tons of TNT per Missile...

So just noticed the Profiles were scaled to the undivided Value instead of the divided one while writing this, turns out there was more problems than "surviving the Airstrike". Anyway, going with the undivided non-scalable Yield of 809.3 Megajoules or 0.1934 Tons of TNT, the Suppression Device is about 0.0705 Tons of TNT behind the Airstrike, though in scalable Values its above the Airstrike heavily.

I also think that the intelligence section could be trimmed cause some of the stuff in there isn't very useful, also the page doesn't list all of his guns
Agree with Intelligence, but the "listing all of his Guns" can be solved with this
Standard Equipment: List of Weapons used in Half-Life | List of Weapons used in Half-Life 2 (excluding Stunstick and Combine Tripmine)
In-game, he is able to outrun a C4 explosion, though it does seem kind of slow. I guess someone could take a look at it still.
It being slow could just be so it could be avoided. There is no other point of reference cause it takes in a Vent with one exit, so it could be faster than it appears.

Also calced it before, it's Hypersonic.

The only pre-Necro reply I have problems with is IBZGare, though he might've not understood or read the OP.

Talked it about, it takes 25 Hits to destroy the top of the Abram. The BEST case scenario gives us 0.0051 Tons of TNT though it's likely not the case.

The Abrams Profile doesn't give a concrete number on its durability, but assuming its equal to it's Cannon, which has a AP of 23.6 Megajoules or 0.00564 Tons of TNT (which is basically Baseline), dividing it by 25 gives us 944 Kilojoules or 0.0002256 Tons of TNT. It's likely probably even lower, but this is just to show it's NOT the best Feat. Like how someone else said:
Not really the amount of energy needed to destroy the tank needs to be divided the amount of hits that was needed.
Also if you wanted actual Feats for 9-A Gordon (and above cause HL 2 Gordon is way above HL 1 Gordon), we have:
The "Breaking Stuff" calcs are evaluated and free to discuss the scaling of.
He got his ass kicked from behind by 2 peak human soldiers but he could somehow negate logic and destroy a tank with a crowbar?
That means the fictional Military Force scales, which is weird cause every other Alien scales to Gordon EXCEPT the guys that actually knockout and don't kill cause of Plot-induced Stupidity? (Also cause the "Saving Gordon" was a cut mission from Gina+Collete Playstation Exclusive Campaign called "Decay", but it doesn't really matter)

even then these soldiers couldn't survive being squished by a car.
Gordon was under threat by a trash compactor, being squished is just a powerful force called "Game Mechanics trying to make everyone Human level". Even then, the Squish was caused by the Gargantua, something that the Soldiers just can't deal with. Also could be Inconsistency.

Back