• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Guts vs Kirito (7-0-0) GRACE

Guts managed to shit on an Apostile with his Dragon Slayer when they would be in equal ground if Guts had used his usual sword instead of the Dragon Slayer.
I'm pretty sure Guts can heavily Injure Kirito with his Dragon Slayer within two or three slashes, hell he could possibly one shot but I can't prove that so oh well.

Dragon Slayer has good reach too, several meters. In terms of Ranged, if Kirito does go ranged he still has his crossbow repeater.
His pain tolerance is also bullshit blazing to the point he refuses to die despite his arm being literally chopped off and continued to fight. Kirito gotta land so many hits onto Guts and he would probably tank it like usual or since he is a skilled swordsman too so he can block with his Dragon Slayer which has 8-A Durability.

I think their AP is actually quite comparable, so it won't be easy work for Guts. Kirito also has the advantage of regeneration.

I think their AP is actually quite comparable, so it won't be easy work for Guts. Kirito also has the advantage of regeneration.
Well yeah they have comparable AP but the Dragon Slayer is on a higher playing field. Guts managed to stomp someone who is comparable to him with the Dragon Slayer so if Kirito gets hit by the Dragon Slayer, it is expected he would take a lot of damage.

Idk if Guts' regeneration negation could apply to Kirito but its something he has I guess.

I'd like to mention that Kirito does have BFR with his Teleportation Crystals as well as instant heals from the Health Crystals.

Guts should out skill Kirito by quite a bit, but the little things like health crystals and dual wielding might make the fight more difficult for him.

Guts should out skill Kirito by quite a bit, but the little things like health crystals and dual wielding might make the fight more difficult for him.
Pretty sure this key of Kirito doesn't have Dual Wielding

How many health crystals does Kirito even have. Guts can waste Kirito down for a full on night if he has to

Bump. For this fight, I'll say he has 1 HP Crystal. That seems fair.

So there are advantages both ways. Let's see.

Guts:
  • More skilled and experienced
  • Significantly longer reach
  • Heavier weapon means more damaging blows
  • Dragon Slayer might be able to break Kirito's weapons
  • ~X2 AP gap (>182.4MJ vs ~108MJ), enough to decisively overwhelm Kirito in any physical clash
- Isn't familiar with the things Kirito can do

Kirito:
  • Can regenerate
  • Has a HP potion
  • Superior Lifting Strength
- Regeneration might not be very effective against the heavy amount of damage inflicted by such a huge weapon

Leaning towards Guts at the moment via superior AP, skill and reach advantage.

Last edited:
Yeah if Kirito only has 1 health crystal, Guts can waste Kirito within 5 minutes, Dragon Slayer's slashes can probably significantly damage Kirito like two-four hits, boom Health Crystal and the results are the same like earlier, dragon slayer goes slashy slash and rip Kirito.

Guts also has the AP advantage, being superior to 182.5MJ versus Kirito being comparable to 108MJ. In practice that's probably a 2X AP advantage. Combine that with the advantages I listed above, and I think Guts has this pretty decisively. I'll also edit my earlier comment to include the AP gap.

Guts' obvious wincon is keeping Kirito back and smashing him with the Dragon Slayer's reach. Kirito's wincon is getting past that to close quarters and attacking inside the range of the Dragon Slayer. His sword is standard arming sword length, making it more effective at close range. Does Guts have his metal arm here? If so he has a means to defend himself at close range.

I did just notice that Kirito seems to have the lifting strength advantage though, so he might be able to grapple Guts and overwhelm him that way. Of course, a blow from Guts even with his fist will still be threatening due to his AP advantage.

Vote for Guts due to his superior fighting skill, ridiculously high stamina, and experience that Kirito can't hope to match, and even if he has one health crystal, I still don't think that's enough to give him an edge over Guts.

Well, we know a good hit from the Dragon Slayer will likely crush any defence Kirito puts up, might smash his sword at the same time, and will leave him with serious damage. After that Guts will keep attacking, and with Kirito wounded and in the ground I don't see him recovering quickly enough, and even if he does he can't do much at that point with his weapon gone. So if Guts lands the first hit with his range advantage Kirito is done, due to the size of the weapon and Guts' AP advantage.

So if Kirito wants to win he has to dodge that initial attack and immediately close in to attack with his sword. Guts will block that with his metal arm, and at this point Kirito has a good shot at taking off the metal arm or taking the Dragon Slayer via his superior lifting strength. If he takes the Dragon Slayer Guts will respond by punching him, and with Guts' superior AP that will hurt a lot, allowing Guts to follow up with more punches from his regular arm and his metal one, leaving Kirito badly beaten very quickly, at which point Guts will kill him either with the arm or by taking back the sword and using that. So Kirito's best move is taking the metal arm once he's in close range and stabbing Guts with the shorter sword. Even then Guts can still attack with the Dragon Slayer or bring the Dragon Slayer in close to block, but with the arm pulled off Kirito actually could hold back the Dragon Slayer by gripping its hilt and take the Dragon Slayer at this point. Even then Guts will retaliate by punching him which will hurt, but Kirito will retaliate with his sword, and if that happens Kirito would indeed take the win.

This might sound like a viable strategy, but it's actually just listing Kirito's best outcome. First off Kirito has to make two correct choices in a row, first to dodge the sword rather than block and second to take the metal arm first. If he makes the wrong choice either time he's done. I also haven't talked about what Guts would actually be doing during the attempts to do this. First, speed being equalised means that even if Kirito dodges the first hit from the Dragon Slayer, Guts can retreat as Kirito advances, allowing Guts to keep distance between them to capitalise on the primary function of a weapon like the Dragon Slayer: its reach.

This means Kirito would have to dodge multiple attacks to reach Guts. If Guts delivers vertical attacks Kirito can sidestep, but sweeping horizontal attacks require he either jump, allowing Guts to punch him when he gets close, bringing us back to the AP beat down from earlier, or slide under it allowing Guts to either kick him or bring the Dragon Slayer down while Kirito is on the ground and has his movement impeded. Also keep in mind Guts will be accustomed to using the Dragon Slayer exactly this way. The main purpose of a long weapon is keeping your enemy away from you, and Guts has been using a very long sword for most if not all of his adult life.

TL;DR: So overall, even if Kirito, who has no way of knowing he can't block Guts' attacks or how hard Guts can hit, makes the right choices, I say Guts still has the best chance via superior reach, superior AP and superior skill/experience. Kirito's best chance is his lifting strength advantage, and even if he uses it to disarm Guts, Guts can still bring the pain without weapons via his AP advantage.

Last edited:
Vote for Guts due to his superior fighting skill, ridiculously high stamina, and experience that Kirito can't hope to match, and even if he has one health crystal, I still don't think that's enough to give him an edge over Guts.
Counted

I sometimes write what I think is useful information to write and then before I know it I've written an essay. Apologies if it's too long. Anyway, I should make the small amendment that if Kirito gets close he can try taking both the sword and arm at once, but nothing's stopping Guts from headbutting him or kicking him in that situation, and with a roughly 2X AP advantage Guts can still do a lot of damage. And even that is dependant on Kirito getting past the Dragon Slayer and getting close, which as I outlined above, is unlikely. There's also the fact that health bars in SAO deplete in only a few attacks from a similar level character, and Guts has that 2X AP advantage.

And just for the final nail in Kirito's coffin, Guts is used to fighting enemies with shorter weapons who would obviously try to get in close, while Kirito is not used to fighting human-sized enemies with giant swords and is not in the habit of taking his enemy's weapon away while fighting them. In fact I don't think he's ever done it or anything similar.

Edit: I don't recall any examples of Kirito intentionally disarming an enemy, let alone planning a fight with that goal in mind. I don't even recall him disarming an enemy at all for that matter.

Last edited:
I am waiting for it to be added to Guts' profile. I already sent it on the matchup addition request thread.

Its been added to Kirito though

That's a bit odd. I have noticed a few outdated matches still on one character's page but not the other. Obviously the page with the most traffic will get updated more frequently.

Back