• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Apparently there are recent statements coming out affirming Odin and Zeus being on the same level and Thor and Zeus being a 'contentious' (or something along those lines) fight from the Cookbook apparently. Does anyone happen to have these?

Apparently there are recent statements coming out affirming Odin and Zeus being on the same level and Thor and Zeus being a 'contentious' (or something along those lines) fight from the Cookbook apparently. Does anyone happen to have these?
I haven't heard anything about that before. If nobody here has the cookbook, I can get it and take a look inside. (I was planning on getting it anyway, evidently the recipes are very much worth trying!)

I wouldn't be sure if it's from the cookbook. The Zeus and Odin comparison is largely in-game scaling + WoG confirmation.

I got the book, and unfortunately, I didn't see Zeus mentioned anywhere in the Cookbook. The closest I saw to a discussion of the Greek gods at all was Tyr discussing other Gods of War and bringing up Ares during the book's introductory section, "The Guiding Light," on page 9:

NYSPbQm.png

There's some other interesting things in the cookbook too, of course, such as Kratos being able to cook a really great mushroom quiche, but it doesn't discuss Zeus at any point.

Hey there. I had a question. Yggy is noted to be infinite in size and stuff by this wiki, but don't the role of the seasonal stags imply they aren't? Since they need to eat some of the limbs of the tree so that they don't fall off and destroy the realms. Looking for thoughts.

Hey there. I had a question. Yggy is noted to be infinite in size and stuff by this wiki, but don't the role of the seasonal stags imply they aren't? Since they need to eat some of the limbs of the tree so that they don't fall off and destroy the realms. Looking for thoughts.
Not necessarily, as it just means a branch can't sustain another branch growing.

We honestly could probably solidify the statement with Ragnarök's Codex saying time is a branch lol

Wasn’t destiny confirmed as bunk by the Norns though? And if putting weight on something that is infinite makes it break, wouldn’t that mean it’s not infinite?

Destiny in the Norse lands is an odd thing. The Norns don't control it but pre-ordained events do actually happen, in an almost 1-to-1 manner.

As for the rest, it's being too overly literal minded about it. There's offshoot branches which are likely what the stags trim down rather than the main one. They can hold up space-time continuums anyway, so it wouldnt be a finite weight issue regardless.

I do plan on eventually overhauling the page to explain discrepancies in depth though. Sometime in the future. Hopefully before 2028.

Destiny in the Norse lands is an odd thing. The Norns don't control it but pre-ordained events do actually happen, in an almost 1-to-1 manner.

As for the rest, it's being too overly literal minded about it. There's offshoot branches which are likely what the stags trim down rather than the main one. They can hold up space-time continuums anyway, so it wouldnt be a finite weight issue regardless.

I do plan on eventually overhauling the page to explain discrepancies in depth though. Sometime in the future. Hopefully before 2028.
Is there confirmation that they are the off shoot branches. And didn’t Freya say that every strand was trancending time and space? Wouldn’t these stray breaches be the same way?

Is there confirmation that they are the off shoot branches. And didn’t Freya say that every strand was trancending time and space? Wouldn’t these stray breaches be the same way?
It wouldn't make sense otherwise, to trim down the main branch that supports the Realm directly on it rather than the offshoots. No direct statements though, either one way or the other IIRC.

And yeah, that's why I said that it's not a normal finite weight issue. The whole tree down to its strands is higher-dimensional in scope and the main branches can hold up space-times, so a regular overloading wouldn't make sense.

I do understand the issue though, it's been brought up more than a few times.

It wouldn't make sense otherwise, to trim down the main branch that supports the Realm directly on it rather than the offshoots. No direct statements though, either one way or the other IIRC.

And yeah, that's why I said that it's not a normal finite weight issue. The whole tree down to its strands is higher-dimensional in scope and the main branches can hold up space-times, so a regular overloading wouldn't make sense.

I do understand the issue though, it's been brought up more than a few times.
What have other people said about it? I just want to be confident in the scaling is all.

What have other people said about it? I just want to be confident in the scaling is all.
About the same as here. Mostly asking about how the stags factor into it.

I'm confident as to the scaling but I'm self aware enough to admit that the pages could use work to communicate it better.

Does space time even have a weight?
Yes to a space-time continuum (it's basically uncountably infinite snapshots of a 3-dimensional universe's contents). Empty space-time... probably not? That much I'm not well versed on.

Yes to a space-time continuum (it's basically uncountably infinite snapshots of a 3-dimensional universe's contents). Empty space-time... probably not? That much I'm not well versed on.
So it has all the weight of the realms stacking infinitely on top of one another?

So it has all the weight of the realms stacking infinitely on top of one another?
Each branch carries the weight of a realm, which is above countably infinite 3-D mass by virtue of being its own space-time continuum.

This is where Yggy being infinite comes from, right? Isn’t this just from Kratos’s POV, where he thinks it looks like it stretches to infinity, but he doesn’t know for sure?
This is third person narration, not Kratos's PoV though. The description is made before the narrator even focuses on a specific character.

And even then, there's no hesitation in the language used so I'm unsure why this would be the case even if it was Kratos directly.

This is third person narration, not Kratos's PoV though. The description is made before the narrator even focuses on a specific character.
I know, but it is the use of “like” that is telling to me, since that indicates it is a simile. And similes are a literary tool to exaggerate a description

I know, it the use of “like” is telling to me, since that indicates it is a simile. And similes are a literary tool to exaggerate a description
Except... this is a tree branch he's on? There's no comparison being made? The modifier doesn't even apply to the infinite part of the description either.

Except... this is a tree branch he's on? There's no comparison being made? The modifier doesn't even apply to the infinite part of the description either.
I know he’s on the tree branch, but we don’t know if it is truly stretching out to infinity since it could just be some nice prose and not to be taken literally.

I know he’s on the tree branch, but we don’t know if it is truly stretching out to infinity since it could just be some nice prose and not to be taken literally.
Yeah but my default assumption isn't really purple prose on everything. At that point it's a matter of one's own stance on statements like this.

Yeah but my default assumption isn't really purple prose on everything. At that point it's a matter of one's own stance on statements like this.
That’s fair. I suppose I would like more proof of it being infinite to firmly believe it.

Has anyone done a specific calc for the Primordial Punch btw? Like I know it’s base line uni, but having a universe punched out of you would have to get higher results, right?

Back