• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Giant Squid Downgrade

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
Why do we have the squid as well level? Just because it can scar a sperm whale? That's nowhere near the same as doing lethal damage to its body, or overpowering it in strength, and I'm sure the squid can't do either.

I don't know what we're going to downgrade it to, but it certainly isn't going to sit here at Wall level.

I agree that this seems unreliable, unless we can get a calculation for its kinetic energy.

I know there's something to do with withstanding water pressure, but I agree that simply scaring Sperm Whales might not enough. Then again, whales are like well above baseline 9-B. That being said, speed also doesn't have justification. I know Squids swim at 23 to 25 mph; which translates to 10.2819 m/s to 11.176 m/s. But not sure if the giant ones are faster. But their tentacles would most definitely have much less energy.

You can ask a few calc group members to help out here if you wish.

What about calculating the energy it takes for it to move at top speed in water, with the water resistance counted in?

That could be workable

Long story short, that would make the giant squid 10 KJ and the colossal squid 26 KJ

Okay. We preferably need a calculation though.

That would be Street level+ to Wall level respectively. I agree a calculation blog seems in order though.

Would that be applicable to it's AP tough? I doubt it can use all of that energy to attack in any efficient way, 'specially under water.

In real world terms kinetic energy works for ramming or tearing power.

Well, yes, but the above calcs give the amount of energy it releases to push itself forward.

That doesn't translate to AP because most of that energy is lost to the water, and there is the problem that it's body isn't compact enough to effectively ram into something, and would instead be like a deflated ball being thrown into something.

It also doesn't do that for an attack, much like how we don't rate a human 10-A or 9-C by virtue of potential ramming power.

Though Risci does make a good point. Would the gelatinous shape of the creature in question not be detrimental to the idea of kinetic energy? A giant squid doesn't attack like a rhino because it's body doesn't lend to that type of attack.

Via sheer size is kind of a more generic approach we had a discussion on a while back.

Boy, then either THIS is pointless or needs revision:

9-B: Wall level

Characters/Weapons who can destroy a wall, or those who can easily harm characters with wall level durability. Very large animals.

The giant squid is a VERY big boi, mind you.

9-C: Street level

Peak Humans to Low Superhuman. Few physically very strong olympic level athletes and martial artists in real life. Most protagonists and final villains from action/martial arts movies. Large animals.

The body of the giant squid is only about 4m long, about 70% of its 14m length is tentacle. It is smaller and lighter than the colossal squid, 90% of whales, a few large sharks (basking and whale shark), and that's not even considering land/prehistoric creatures. The giant squid should not be placed at 9-B just because of what the Tiering System page says

Crimson Azoth said:
===9-C: Street level===
Peak Humans to Low Superhuman. Few physically very strong olympic level athletes and martial artists in real life. Most protagonists and final villains from action/martial arts movies. Large animals.

The body of the giant squid is only about 4m long, about 70% of its 14m length is tentacle. It is smaller and lighter than the colossal squid, 90% of whales, a few large sharks (basking and whale shark), and that's not even considering land/prehistoric creatures. The giant squid should not be placed at 9-B just because of what the Tiering System page says
Oh sh--, my bad. I forgot there was a "Colossal Squid" profile. I take it back.

I can now agree that Giant Squid should be downgraded to Street Level.

Yes, but they aren't squishy.

But them being wrong does not make this right. Both have enough maw strenght to be 9-B, but them bodyslam ing is as fair for a tier as a human running at top speed and jumping to slam into someone.

I don't want to be an asshole that just keeps disagreeing, but why? I would at least prefer to be given a reasoning as to why we'd go by that for a tier despite the obvious flaws.

And why we don't rate 10-B characters 9-B by the same logic.

It cannot attack with that amount of force, ever, so giving that as a tier seems rather unfounded. I guess you can ignore me if you really want, doesn't change much, but making it plain 9-Bwould imply it's tentacles are that strong too.

I suppose that is a good point. Maybe we should use top speed ramming energy separately from the regular statistics in general for real world creatures.

Giant Squid is only 9-C+ if we used KE and humans would be 9-C via body slamming, not 9-B. But I do agree with that reason. But I'd still think Colossal squid would have Wall level durability. They are still large sized, and having a soft body ironically makes then durable against blunt force trauma for instance. But they're tentacles would be hard to judge.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Yes, but they aren't squishy.
But them being wrong does not make this right. Both have enough maw strenght to be 9-B, but them bodyslam ing is as fair for a tier as a human running at top speed and jumping to slam into someone.
It's still that mass though. What you wish to tier its tentacles at is a different matter but "its squishy" doesn't change its average mass or speed.

No, but it changes the amount of energy it can hit something with.

And it's tentacles have a different mass from all of it's body Combines, yes. And as far as I'm awere they neither move as fast nor do they grapple as strong as it's bodyslam would supposedly be.

No it doesn't, not really. It might soften the blow, much like being hit by a pillow at mach speeds will probably hurt less than a bullet of the same mass, but the energy is still the same as far as KE goes.

Yes, I'm aware. If you can get the mass of its tentacle somehow, provide a lower tier for that. If not, stick with 9-B based on KE.

AP is literally "attack potency". If it cannot convey that amount of damage then it's not much for AP, specially when bodyslam ing is not an attack a squid of any kind uses as far as I k ow.

That is not a good argument. If I don't know the mass of the arm of... sumo fighter or something, then I just assume it's 9-C/B because him slamming into me would be that strong?

But it can, is the point. We measure in joules. The creature can impart that amount of joules if it rams. It being soft doesn't change this fact.

No, you just say "Unknown" and say the bits you do know. I'm literally ceding the point so long as you see the correct point of view.

Back