• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
SpookyShadow said:
"I don't see the logic in Yrden stopping Tanjiro"
I don't see logic in you telling it won't stop him either. Yrden is slowing down and trapping opponents. That's what it does. I'm still reminding you, that teenager is his opponent and Geralt is careful against anyone. Even if Johnny was his opponent, he would be careful... He just got too much fighting experience to underestimate even a kid like Tanjirou.
"Stopping him" implies that Tanjiro would be at least in a disadvantage, but Tanjiro would still maintain a blitzable speed advantage even after a 42% slowdown, and that is not even accounting for Tanjiro's extended melee range; if Geralt's dodged Tanjiro's sword he can still get severely damaged (a single vertical slash from unamped BoS Tanjiro is capable of damaging demons on his sides for example ).

And being cautious of a human swordsman is not the same as being entirely defensive and anticipating he will go for a blitz. Does Geralt back away and create a Yrden as soon as possible when he sees a human opponent?

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Some cases of people he found too fast to react to that he suddenly blitzed? I've seen none.
Umm... I've mentioned it multiple times, but here we go again:

1- Tanjiro was blitz'd by an attack , and confirmed that the attack was too fast for him to see .

2- Tanjiro's opponent decided to use a similar attack with intention to kill (which means it is going to be stronger and faster, since she was surprised Tanjiro survived the first attack), Tanjiro percieves the attack after activating his amp and is now able to block it , and Tanjiro is now confident that he is is able to blitz his opponent with his amp .

3- When serious, Tanjiro's opponent is capable of blitzing Tanjiro and move too fast for his perception even with his first amp , and after Tanjiro activated his second amp he is able to surpass her actual speed , and Tanjiro's second amp continously increases his speed at an explosive rate .

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
So you are gonna say Geralt doesn't use Yrden against an armed "kid" but Tanjirou is gonna amp and cut a human from the very start? What weird standards are these? I don't see your logic how Tanjirou doesn't get affected by a trap that slows him down. If you don't see the logic, just ask whatever you are confused abkut.
According to standard assumption, they fight with intention to kill (add to that, Tanjiro can recognize that Geralt is not a normal human through his enhanced senses and clairvoyance). Tanjiro is used to try killing demons swiftly whenever he gets the chance, and at the end of his key Tanjiro decided that he is going to use his first amp more often, so it is in character for him to amp immedietly against an equal speed opponent.

I am not saying that Tanjiro won't be affected by Yrden; I am saying that Geralt would still be at a major disadvantage in Yrden and that Tanjro is still capable of blitzing. I am also questioning wheather Geralt would use Yrden if he doesn't know his human opponent's capabilities and doesn't know his opponent is planning to blitz.

Are you, like, actually seeing those pictures at all? I doubt that, I immensely do. Despite "not seeing" her attack, we see Tanjirou's expression change and after he recovers, he himself says "if my body didn't react like this, I wouldn't be alive". He reacted to the attack somehow, therefore it was no blitz. Blitzing isn't attacks moving so fast you can't see them, is moving so fast you can't perceive or react at all. The very same thing Tanjirou says he did.

Your second set of photos is even worse because Tanjirou looks in no way to be moving faster than her. In the pages right after that, he even closes the distance and attacks and she dodges without much fretting. The "blitzing" you speak off is a specialized technique to lose the eyes of people, not a speed amp. Are you gonna tell me Kuroko in Kuroko no Basket is blitzing people because Vanishing Drive makes him "disappear" by abusing the eyes poor ability to follow things diagonally to disappear from his opponent's view? "A series of rotations and twists meant to evade. The better your visual prowess, the more effective it is". This doesn't sound at all like blitzing, but a technique to move in a specific way and slip out of someone's view.

And all I am saying is that I don't see that happening, because Geralt has already dealt with people that are pretty damn above him in speed eveb without Yrden, without even accounting for Quen protecting him and bouncing half of the damage back to Tanjirou and using potions gor boosts.

If you notice, Tanjirou outright says he cannot see it himself. But immediately afterwards he says to calm down, and the calm that he experiences is what keeps him alive. This is further reinforced that after Tanjirou used Dance of the Sun God, Daki called him slow after seemingly starting to become equal to Tanjirou's buffed stats and afterimages. This is again, further reinforced by Daki getting serious at the presence of a pillar, and disappearing right in front of Tanjirou. It has already been stated Dance of the Fire God makes him faster, read the actual profile. This was admitted by Daki herself, and she was getting heavily overwhelmed.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Are you, like, actually seeing those pictures at all? I doubt that, I immensely do. Despite "not seeing" her attack, we see Tanjirou's expression change
Tanjiro kept the angry expression he previously had. What evidence do you have that Tanjiro's expression changed while the attack is happening? And are you saying that there is a contradiction between what Tanjiro explicitly said has happened and what has happened?

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
and after he recovers, he himself says "if my body didn't react like this, I wouldn't be alive". He reacted to the attack somehow, therefore it was no blitz. Blitzing isn't attacks moving so fast you can't see them, is moving so fast you can't perceive or react at all. The very same thing Tanjirou says he did.
if my body didn't react like this, I wouldn't be alive = If I feel pain, this means I am alive

The following lines are: "My limbs are feeling weak beacuse I'm afraid. I'm feeling numb because I obviously took a strong blow to my back." Which shows that Tanjiro was disoriented from the blitz, but doesn't negate the fact that the attack was too fast for him to see.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Your second set of photos is even worse because Tanjirou looks in no way to be moving faster than her. In the pages right after that, he even closes the distance and attacks and she dodges without much fretting.
I didn't say that Tanjiro was moving faster than her, I said that Tanjiro surpassed the speed she has shown, and due to underestimating her actual speed attempted to blitz her (which turned out to be wrong when she said Tanjiro is so slow he is making her yawn).

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
The "blitzing" you speak off is a specialized technique to lose the eyes of people, not a speed amp. Are you gonna tell me Kuroko in Kuroko no Basket is blitzing people because Vanishing Drive makes him "disappear" by abusing the eyes poor ability to follow things diagonally to disappear from his opponent's view? "A series of rotations and twists meant to evade. The better your visual prowess, the more effective it is". This doesn't sound at all like blitzing, but a technique to move in a specific way and slip out of someone's view.
He performed a flash step through high-speed twists and rotations and left an afterimage behind. A Speed Blitz by VSBattles definition is an attack that happens before the opponent is capable of perceiving or reacting. A flash step can result in a blitz (even if it left an afterimage behind), which is what Tanjiro has attempted due to underestimating his opponent's speed.

Kuroko's Vanishing Drive would not count as a blitz due to:

1- It is not an attack, but as you said a technique to move in a specific way and slip out of someone's view

2- It is not speed-based (A "blitz" is short for "speed blitz")

By the way, you quoted/paraphrased wrong; it is: "This dance specializes in evasion by using high-speed twists and rotations. The better your vision is, the more likely you'll be caught up in its afterimage". So Tanjiro was fast enough to dodge her casual attack speed, leave an afterimage behind, and flash step behind her and attempt to behead her before she percieves the attack. Like with flash steps, teleportation can also potentially result in a blitz, if it is followed up with a fast-enough attack before the enemy can react.

The point is that Tanjiro thought that with his amp he can blitz his opponent based on what he've seen of her speed, even though she blitz'd him unamped.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
And all I am saying is that I don't see that happening, because Geralt has already dealt with people that are pretty damn above him in speed eveb without Yrden, without even accounting for Quen protecting him and bouncing half of the damage back to Tanjirou and using potions gor boosts.
People who are far above him but still slow enough that he can react to, but Geralt will be dealing with speeds he can't percieve. In gameplay, even when Dettlaff was creating sonic booms with his dashes (which is different from his teleportation), he was clearly percievable unlike with the upper moon's attack. Do you want to discuss whether Tanjiro's senses and clarivoyance are immensely inferior to Geralt, that a blitz on Tanjiro wouldn't result in a blitz on Geralt if their speeds were equalized?

I never said Dance of The Fire God doesn't make him fast. Actually read what I am saying. Tanjirou wasn't blitzed by the mere fact that he himself admits his body reacted despite not seeing the attack - you don't get blitzed by an attack you react to just because you didn't see it.

Furthermore, activating Dance of the Fire God did not make Tanjirou blitz anybody. Despite becoming way faster with his second amp, Daki was able to react so her neck couldn't be cut. That Tanjirou sees her attack extremely slowly doesn't change this no matter how you word it. That Tanjirou attacks her before this with Dance of the Fire God and she reacts also doesn't get changed. And that the only time she loses sight of him is when he uses a special evasion technique of the Dance that isn't a speed amp but specialized movements explicitly made to make opponents lose track of you reinforces that again.

I repeat, Tanjirou is not gonna blitz anybody at that distance with Yrden getting activated. Feel free to disagree all you want, that is your business. Nothing I've seen so far has shown me he is blitzing.

And lastly... can you stop talking so much about not seeing attacks? Do you not understand that FTE doesn't matter one bit to determine blitz if just a couple of pages later Tanjirou mentions his body reacted? Thats a textbook not blitz and sight is not your only sense. You aren't really bringing up anything important.

The body reaction he is talking about is: "No strength in my limbs. Getting numb."

And he used this body reaction to reason that this means he is alive and that he should calm down ("My limbs are feeling weak because I'm afraid. I'm feeling numb because I obviously took a strong blow to my back.").

He didn't fail to see the attack because it is invisible, but because it is too fast. That by definition is a speed blitz.

Going through other points:

1- I didn't say that Tanjiro blitz'd her, I said that Tanjiro judged his amp's speed sufficient to blitz her after she blitz'd him unamped.

2- As explained it is a high-speed evasion that flash steps him behind his opponent, and gives him the potential to speed blitz. He failed to speed blitz, but he thought his speed is sufficient to blitz and opponent who blitzes him.

3- If Tanjiro can get on bar with speeds that blitzes him unamped, he should be able to blitz an equal speed opponent with amp. Geralt never faced an opponent too fast to react to.

4- Geralt never faced an opponent too fast to percieve or react to. To boot, narrow dodges fail due to extended attack range.

5- It is out of character for Geralt to make Yrden as soon as possible when he sees a human opponent carrying a sword. While it is in character for Tanjiro to amp quickly, and around 9 meters is blitzable.

6- FTE matters, unless you are claiming that Tanjiro's senses are vastly inferior to Geralts. Yrden is not enough to eliminate Geralt's massive speed disadvantage.

"It is out of character for Geralt to make Yrden as soon as possible when he sees a human opponent carrying a sword"

I changed the op to avoid stonewalling for entire thread.

Back