• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gears of War General Discussion Thread 1

This will be the first time I ever done a general discussion thread especially if it is a video game series I enjoy the most. Have fun while we mostly discuss about Gears of War related stuff!
Gears of War logo
The good old classic Gears of War logo

Who wants toast? Lol best EE, followed by the giant chicken.

Now just a quick question. As displayed in the games, Marcus and the other guys' melee attacks can be comparable to attacks from bullets, and can kill other Locust enemies in a couple of hits.

In addition, those armored suits that the COG soldiers wear greatly increases their physical strength/combat capabilities.

@Lina Those Boomers were tough as hell to bring down unless you have a heavy weapon or even a special weapon for it.

I mean a couple of those Boomshot rounds will do. And those are like, Wall level to Small Building level (They are stronger than grenades after all).

Hmm, any notable durability feats for the Armored Kantus? Notable feats for those guys would be:

• Tanking a Hammer of Dawn and surviving
  • Tanking a torque bow on the body and surviving
  • Tanking multiple longshot rounds and surviving
But then again, they can die to shots to the mouth (I guess it makes sense since the inside of the body is less durable compared to the outside), as well as a frag grenade being stuck onto them (point blank explosion)

But that could just be game mechanics.

@Lina For the frag grenade part, it is not really game mechanics per say as you can logically stick a grenade. Also the head is the most vulnerable part of the body so petty much it is quite possible. Now in regard to the Hammer of Dawn one, they can still died from it abelit just within 15 seconds anyway.

I mean, with what the Hammer of Dawn is shown to do in one of the cutscenes, tanking that is still pretty darn impressive.

Now, if you are actually sticking a grenade into a locust, I noticed that you actually stab that grenade into something (locust, wall, etc). It is likely that sticking a grenade one-shots most locust because it causes the grenade to explode from the inside of said locust's body.

@Lina I not so sure on it, but in-game the HOD is able to kill the Armored Kantus in one direct blast. Still I probably could take that feat with careful consideration as of now the Armored Kantus was not shown to tank the HOD in a cutscene as the HOd in Gears of War 3 was failing due to the lack of accuracy and lack of maintenance.

Fair enough. Perhaps the HOD should be avoided when using to scale the locust's durability.

Now here is the fun part; where would the boomshot and the torque bow be rated at? This would set the tiering for anyone tanking boomshots/torque bow as they would directly scale in durability for tanking those weapons.

@Lina I believe I mentioned it to be at least Wall Level for the Boomshot as it seems there were two Boomers that blow up the wall with Boomshot in Gears of War 1 granted the second Boomer fired at the wall at the same time as the first one. Still though I think the Boomshot is at least Wall level due to its ability to deploy small bomblets at least three to five of the small ones.

Then "At least Wall level" is fine for the guys who can directly take a boomshot or two.

It also explains why if those boomers melee you on Insane, you die in a single hit (assuming Insane is the canon difficulty).

So, what I am thinking is:

• Pistols = Street level (snub) to Wall level (boltok, gorgon)
  • Rifles, and flamethrower = Wall level (Shouldn't be any weaker than our modern day rifles. Flamethrowers can kill Locusts very quickly)
  • Heavy Weapons, Grenades = At least Wall level (boomshot, torque bow)
  • Mortar, One-Shot = Small Building level
Thoughts?

That sounds fine, @Lina. Now in regards to the HOD as it seems to me it still can negate durability due to its energy manipulation, but I suppose to a extent it should do.

How strong would people say the Riftworm is?

@Colonel Town or City Level consider how it did managed to sink entire cities by just eating through the ground beneath them.

Wait @Lina is AP over time allowed or no? As the Riftworm was taking its time to destroy the cities above ground I think since it require prep time.

Depends on how the city in the question was destroyed. If the riftworm just comes in and casually eats up a city relatively quickly, you are allowe to place him at City level.

However, if it requires extensive prep-time, I don't think so.

How big is this thing, and how fast can the thing move underground? This is because it depends on the viscosity of the Earth's mantle compared to air.

The viscosity of the mantle would be > that of air, meaning it takes more effort for the worm to move at a certain speed in Earth's mantle compared to air.

@Lina This Riftworm is quite literally 8-10 and a half miles long and I take it might taken at least within hours for it devouring cities.

Edit: The height of this Riftworm surpass or rival that of a normal building consider how it devoured the said buildings in its own stomach.

Well, we can see that the riftworm is much taller than the pine tree, comparing its height and thickness side by side when it actually died.

Now, using the length, and width (which is the same as its height) of the worm, perhaps we can find the horizontal area covered by the worm or something.

Anyhow, it should yield over Town level, at least.

@Lina So Town level physically and likely City level via prep time? I mean it did take down two cities. One that is apparently 10 kilometers in terms of a crater... I forget to mention there is a comic series that is canon to the Gears of War games.

Anyway beside that, @Lina, it is probably best if we don't scale the HOD AP to the Locust's durability when it comes to it as of now.

Well, don't we have the Berserker who can tank a Hammer of Dawn blast (the HoD is the only weapon that can take out a Berserker).

@Lina Yes as I I recall that is because it was a Lambent Berserker in Gears of War 3 and in Gears of War 1, the HOD was able to take down a normal Berserker as it did tank a HOD focused blast for awhile.

Well, in this video here, we see a Berserker actually tank those HoD blasts, and thus the Berserker's durability would scale to the HoD blasts.

As for the Lambent Berserker, you know how that goes.

@Lina I will agree of scaling the Berserker to the HOD blasts, but in terms of the armored Kantus, I will think about it a bit more as there has been mostly game mechanics protecting them from getting killed by the HOD.

Are there any other notable feats from the cutscenes of the GoW series? The Boomer blowing up a wall is one, and the Hammer of Dawn feat is another.

That being said, the Berserker is literally impervious to most of the weapons in Gears (except the HoD, and possibly the One Shot?)

@Lina Oh wait there is the Corpser tanking a HOD blast in a cutscene IIRC. Also the One Shot will obviously killed a normal Berserker consider it is a laser weaponry.

After a bit of research between the One-Shot and the Berserker, yes, yes it does. It also kills a Brumak in 2 to 3 hits, so that's that.

Might as well put the One-Shot in "At least Small Building level" since it can kill Brumaks in 2 to 3 hits. You can scale Berserker to that too since her defenses are comparable to the Brumak, if not slightly higher, but that is just my suggestion.

I will avoid scaling this to the Armed Kantus.

@Lina You mean Armored Kantus, but I think in terms of pure physical striking strength, the Brumak can kill a Berserker quite easily so I not so sure if the Brumak and Berserker are exactly comparable to that matter.

IMG 0140
Okay here we go for the Leviathans: The Leviathans are able to resist small firearms shots and explosives. They are capable of crushing a submarine of this size with their tentacles and possibly biting through the hull as there has been attempts to do so:
IMG 0138

Now if we going for the Lambent version of the Leviathan, this guy is able to bite through a ship that is mostly metal and wood.

IMG 0142
@Lina There you go now.

Back