• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garfield speed downgrade

Actually, it would depend on the difference between:

1. The distance between Garfield and the bed

2. The distance between the light source and the bed

Unless I'm mistaken about something, Garfield would only be FTL in this scenario if he and the light source were the same distance from the bed, and Garfield made it into the bed before the last photon from the light source hit it. Since that's clearly not the case, and the light appears to be in the room somewhere off-panel, Garfield should very likely be Relativistic+ in that feat, Speed of Light at most.

Maybe if we saw the full room we could make a calc. But the only frames we see is of him turning the light off

Going to his bed

Lights turn off

From the looks. The light didn't even make any distance compared to him. The distance he made doesn't matter as much if the light shows to make less distance. And in this case. It appears that way. And maybe without text we could make arguments elsewhere

But adding in he says it basically is FTL. I think FTL is a safe bet

I think Relativistic+ is the safest bet FRA. Even if the light source were in-panel—in fact, right on top of his bed—he would only need to be ~0.95c to make it there before the light cut off due to a lack of electricity.

Please read our Kinetic Energy Feats page. We have restrictions for using speed to calculate attack potency, and are currently discussing further developing them.

As for Garfield reaching the bed before the light switches off, I don't think that a lightbulb reacts to clicking the switch at the speed of light, and such a feat would likely be extremely hard to exactly calculate the exact mechanics of.

I also think that the OP seems to make sense.

Antvasima said:
I also think that the OP seems to make sense.
You agree with not using the lightbulb feat? Or do you agree with downgrading it to relativistic(+)?

I agree with either not using it, or asking a highly skilled calc group member or DontTalkDT calculate how long it would really take for a light bulb to turn off after the switch has been pressed.

Blahblah9755 said:
Lights that should be like the one he has take about 1/20 of a second to get 10% less bright after being switched off: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...-filament-lamps.pdf?origin=publication_detail
If he moved within that time you could still get the effect of moving before the lights get any noticeably darker.
1/20th of a second? Assuming Garfield moves 2 meters at most (it's probably somewhat less than that according to my quick and dirty measurement)... that's 40 m/s, low end subsonic.

I believe the comic about Garfield's Law is far better to use here, and I believe a low end caclulation of the feat at "supersonic+" the best.

@Blahblah9755

Thank you for the information.

@Jaften

Yes, we should use the other feat instead then.

Antvasima said:
@Jaften

Yes, we should use the other feat instead then.
...Now all we need to do is decide what the best low-ball of the feat is.

I believe we have agreed to put "At least Supersonic (Garfield's Law)" in the end.

Do you think we can edit the profile now?

It is probably best to only scale him from the original comic strip, and create other profiles for the other versions, yes.

Wait. So are we linking the calculation blog as the explanation? Or are we just linking the image referencing him moving faster than sound.

Was the calculation blog accepted by our calc group members?

Yes, it should.

Is somebody willing to clean up the page so it turns into one continuity only?

Thank you. Are any of you willing to help out with turning the profile non-composite, in case that is considered as a good idea?

That's the idea, I believe. Somebody can make a cartoon, movie and/or game profile for him as well, since they all have different consistency of feats.

Yes, although I am open for input if the rest of you hink that it is a bad idea.

Nah, it should stay to the direct canons. Due to the differences in the versions a composite profile would be a incorrect and likely wanked version of the character that is mostly unneeded.

Okay. Would somebody be willing to remove all of the powers and statistics that are not derived from the original comic strip?

Back