• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Friendship powerup

Promestein said:
It's fine, it's fine.
Let's continue talking about how stupid plot device friendship is, yeah.
I liked how Busou Renkin did it.

Kazuki (the MC with the rocket spear) was spouting off stuff like he was drawing power to fight from his friends.

It was a pretty obvious offender of the friendship asspull thing, til it was revealed he was literally pulling energy from them. He had some sort of energy-absorbing aura.

So yeah. It was pretty cool using an overused trope, then turning it upside down.

That's actually super interesting. Nice.

What if the villain didn't die? How about for once, a villain or villainess (in non-literary terms) actually has friends and not out of deception, but sincere friendship won fair of square. "You, the heroes, aren't the only ones with true friends!"

How bout villains that are justifiable with what they do?

Case and point, the hyenas from the Lion King.

They were banished from Pride rock or Pride land or whatever for some reason apparently.

Mufasa: Everything you see exists together, in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance, and respect all the creatures-- from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.

Simba: But Dad, don't we eat the antelope?

Mufasa: Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become grass. And the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

Simba: Wow... Say, Dad, where do the hyenas fit into the great Circle of Life?

Mufasa: Ugh, the hyenas. No, f#@k those guys.

Simba: Yeah, that's fair.

- Excerpt from Cracked.com

No wonder they followed Scar. He offered them food. He said "Stick with me and you will never go hungry again". He was essentially offering them what equates to a revolution to the common man.

Dekoshu said:
What if the villain didn't die? How about for once, a villain or villainess (in non-literary terms) actually has friends and not out of deception, but sincere friendship won fair of square. "You, the heroes, aren't the only ones with true friends!"
^I really want to see that

Back