• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fortissimo verse's annihilation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I will get straight to the point.

Years ago I've made a CR thread as an attempt to upgrade this franchise due to the verse being mishandled by outdated translation. Of course I didn't proceed with it because I felt like it wasn't enough. After spending some time re-reading the Visual Novel as well as collecting enough scans to make a new, revamped respect thread, I decided that it is about time to nuke the entire verse page (and character pages) from existence.

There are tons of reasons why they are so wrong and just all over the place. But the most obvious reason is the one that every Japanese verses can get: Translation. Exactly, as much as I appreciated Kratosirving's efforts to translate the first Fortissimo game and the sequel, Kadenz Fermata (I mean, without his videos, I wouldn't even know about this amazing franchise), however, considering with our current standard, his translation is very, very, VERY outdated at this moment. Lots of stuffs are just wrong due to the ability of Machine Translation from back then did not up to par. Thanks to it, the overall tier and scaling of the whole Fortissimo cast is abysmal, the fact that the verse page didn't count the feats from Kadenz doesn't help much either. Do remember that Fortissimo has glossaries dictionary and characters' abilities explanation as a form of battle status images, in which their verse page missed them A LOT. In any case, due to translation problem along with not many people support this verse anymore, it is the best option to just delete the whole thing due to misinformation and remake them from scratch. You can save them in sandbox if you want, but I still prefer the former option.

So, what about me then? For now I'm still being occupied with Demonbane project but worry not, I will create a new Fortissimo respect thread and a future CRT, with proper scaling, translation and feats. Just like how I did with Demonbane Mythos verse. As for Fortissimo please, put an end to its misery so that it can be reborn as a more accurate verse page.

Thank you and have a good day. Cheers.

Edit: Official statement from Kratosirving said that the translation is MTL:

"It really is a great story. I still can't really explain why, but when I first found the title back in 2010, it resonated with me on such a level that I put in the effort to get at least some basic machine TL programs and see if I could make some sort of psuedo-translation for Fortissimo, since I lacked the programming skills or money to find and hire someone that did have those skills. I know not everyone will enjoy Fortissimo, as people have varying tastes and interests. But for those who do take the time to read-along as it were I hope they enjoy the journey like I did."

"They're pretty old ones at this point; swapped around between ATLAS, ITH, Translator Aggregate, even Google Translate. Basically, the way I would do it was that I would run lines of text through multiple programs to try and not get stuck on using just 1 possible translation, then try and piece together a coherent sentence out of what I got. Went back and revised as needed."

Basically he used multiple machine translation tool like Atlas, Google Translate, Translator Aggregate and so on to "translate" the whole thing.

Last edited:
Where is it stated that the translations were machine done?

From his comments:
"It really is a great story. I still can't really explain why, but when I first found the title back in 2010, it resonated with me on such a level that I put in the effort to get at least some basic machine TL programs and see if I could make some sort of psuedo-translation for Fortissimo, since I lacked the programming skills or money to find and hire someone that did have those skills."

Man.

First Rakudai series, now this.

I had a feeling even way back some years when I saw the vids that it was MTL but still, oof.

I'm up for having it removed since it looks like no one aside maybe you could improve them + the lack of sufficient supporters to keep it afloat I think.

Man.

First Rakudai series, now this.

I had a feeling even way back some years when I saw the vids that it was MTL but still, oof.

I'm up for having it removed since it looks like no one aside maybe you could improve them + the lack of sufficient supporters to keep it afloat I think.
Exactly, it is Demonbane situation again. I would rather to have it die first so that I can recreate it from scratch.

It was unironically my friend rping Reiji one day that introduced me to him and fortissimo by proxy (thanks to his vs prof and thus the character seeming interesting), so even if it -shouldn't- be, the momentary deletion till the revamp feels sort of personal 😭

Though, it's needed.

It was unironically my friend rping Reiji one day that introduced me to him and fortissimo by proxy (thanks to his vs prof and thus the character seeming interesting), so even if it -shouldn't- be, the momentary deletion till the revamp feels sort of personal 😭

Though, it's needed.
Tbh with the fact that all of the verse's supporters are officially gone for good now, and I'm the only one who have played the game in Japanese, so there's no other way.

I suppose nuking it for now is a good approach for the time being.

Although this is a staff thread now, I have to say my final piece.

Yes, as Mugen pointed out, all of the supporters that have a hand on the verse being active ish (whatever the exact degree of it was back then) are gone or just no longer have any interest in it. There's also the aforementioned issue the OP have brought up where the vid's translations the profiles are based on were from the video poster using various forms of MTL which back then weren't anywhere near "accurate ish" or polished up as they are now (not that they should be encouraged much going by the recent/latest stance on that here, but still).

Considering this issue is what caused series like Maou Gakuin and now Rakudai Kishi (in progress) to have their later volume stuff deleted cuz it was based on MTL, this case is the same only cemented in just have to go completely.

Of course, if anyone else aside the OP do have the game and have time to remake the profiles with more accurate translations, I'm guessing that's probably an alright option to do? But aside from that, yes this has to be done as unfortunate as it is.

Last edited:
Why is this on staff discussion?

Alright. I’ll initiate deletion then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back