• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fear Shenanigans #1: My Hero

Both Toshinori Yagi and All For One were erroneously given Fear Manipulation on account of the fact that they scared people.
All For One also has Illusion Creation for the same thing.

Two assassins rush Toshinori, and upon seeing him in-person, they come to the conclusion that he is now frail and defenseless. However, Toshinori rises to his feet and takes a stand against them, causing them to break down. This has nothing to do with Fear Manipulation. This is Social Influencing.

More interestingly, the Bakugo Rescue Squad, just before leaving the scene of a Nomu attack after the Pros take care of them, are unfortunate to be around when All For One emerges from the shadows and instantly wipes out every hero there, striking fear in the hearts of the students and filling their minds with only the thoughts of their deaths (which is where he gets Illusion Creation from). But alas, this is literally just All For One scaring them, and not even intentionally.

All For One should lose Illusion Creation, Toshinori should lose Resistance to Fear Manipulation, and they should both lose Fear Manipulation.

I can agree to illusion creation not needing to be there.

I disagree with the removal of resistance to fear manipulation however. As we see with Shigaraki and Stain, a palpable enough willpower can cause fear in others. Shigaraki’s fear even directly countered Trumpet’s quirk, meaning it is supernatural in nature.

Fear Manipulation in these cases is a matter of willpower. As shown in the Vestige World of OFA, Shigaraki can direct his willpower, and did so against both OFA and AFO. So in those cases, despite his willpower being able to cause fear, OFA, Deku and AFO were not paralyzed like others were. So resistance to fear manipulation should stay for AM, and if anything, Deku should gain resistance too via the vestiges (also he saw his own death to Shigaraki and still tried to fight him without the vestiges [so did Bakugo] but let’s discuss that later)

AFO in particular should keep his fear manipulation because he scales directly to Shigaraki. The only reason Machia listens to Shigaraki is because his influence is comparable to AFO’s, and AFO is shown to even overpower Shigaraki’s willpower with his own in their own vestige world. So AFO should keep his own Fear Manipulation due to being equal if not above Shigaraki’s own.

All Might’s is social influencing though, so idc if he loses it.

The specific example of it was social influencing, though now that you bring it up, Deku directly says that All Might had a similar feel to him that Stain did. That wasn’t linked to his reverence of him, it was a direct attempt by All Might to instill fear in him. So All Might probably should keep his too.

It’s just more of a “villain” thing to cause fear. Otherwise Deku would have better fear manipulation than All Might.

Is the "villain" thing a separate species or does the fear manipulation activate as power through mindset?
It’s definitely a mindset. It’s an application of your will, and heroes wouldn’t want to instill fear in others. Doesn’t mean their willpower is lesser, but if Deku wanted to, he could channel all the wills of the vestiges and probably make someone soil themselves.

It’s a matter of WANTING to exert your will like that I’d imagine.

I'm curious, but didn't All Might want to instill fear into villains to not cause trouble?
He did actually, and he does that when he enters USJ. The villains are instantly scared of him, and it’s noted by others that he looks absolutely terrifying when not smiling.

That, however, can be put as Social Influencing due to his status. He would need a more concrete feat like the Deku one to further support fear manipulation.

That, however, can be put as Social Influencing due to his status however. He would need a more concrete feat like the Deku one to further support fear manipulation.
Kinda hard to prove due to his status.

I agree with taking away Illusion Creation and All Might's Fear Manipulation with Social Influencing

If All Might didn’t have the status of number one, he would have fear manipulation no question, but unfortunately most of his feats can be put under the blanket of “they’re afraid of the number one.”

I think his resistance should be fine considering he faced AFO at his absolute peak. His willpower should still provide him a defense against other willpower’s, unless we think Stain can fear manip All Might.

Seems what I suggested is generally accepted. So it should be:

AFO: Loses Illusions, keeps Fear and Resistance

All Might: Loses fear, its social influencing, keep Resistance

Current Deku: Resistance to Fear

Now here's a question: Should Bakugo have resistance to fear because he was going to fight Shigaraki even though he was under the fear manip? He also resisted All Might's Social Influencing and continued trying to fight him. IDK the rules so whether fighting through fear counts as resistance or not is unknown to me.

Now here's a question: Should Bakugo have resistance to fear because he was going to fight Shigaraki even though he was under the fear manip? He also resisted All Might's Social Influencing and continued trying to fight him. IDK the rules so whether fighting through fear counts as resistance or not is unknown to me.
Can you even resist social influencing? It doesn’t seem to be something that can be resisted by normal methods

I think his resistance should be fine considering he faced AFO at his absolute peak. His willpower should still provide him a defense against other willpower’s, unless we think Stain can fear manip All Might.
Didn't Deku compared All Might's presence to be just as overwhelming as Stain's? I think he should keep Fear Inducement.

Back