• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fate Manipulation Galactus

Confluctor

VS Battles
Retired

so, basically Galactus forced Sphinx into a time loop. The current Sphinx went back to his origin and met with his younger self and they devised a plan on how to change their fate - aka this time loop. Current Sphinx petrified himself and the old Phinx continued with his life as he would have from the beginning. The old one will die at the hands of Galactus again and be sent back to his origin again. Now, that's out of the way... The current Sphinx found a loophole on how to survive. So, when he was sent back to his earlier days, he petrified himself at the hands of the old Sphinx and stayed like that until his old version was dead. After his older version died, he left the petrifaction chamber and recreated the KaStone. Now, as long as he has the KaStone, he will be immortal again and defy the time loop shit placed upon him by Galactus, but the moment the KaStone is destroyed, he will literally cease existing and return to the time loop.

Sources:
Marvel Two-In-One Vol 1 91
Thing Vol 1 34

Basically Galactus made sure that Sphinx will always be stuck in the time loop, and if he does escape it, he will just die.

I don't see how it is fatehax at all tbh. He just found a way to resist time loop stuff, and will be stuck again if what allows him to escape it is destroyed.

It's causality I feel, if Galactus made scenarios for there to BE a time loop
Itis stated to just be a constant "sending that guy back in time" tho. If Galactus used causality to "make scenarios" then Sphinx's plan wouldn't be possible in the first place, since he would never have met his younger self.

The KaStone is also transcendant over basic causality system. It grants its users a similar state

I would guess so.

There's also the fact that the imgur album seem to be two separate comics? Given the very different artstyle.

The reason he died in the second part is because the stone grants him immortality, and that removing it just means his body now really becomes 5000 yo, which is enough to get turned into dust. I see no reference to what happened in the first one.

Oh no, he is completely immortal. That doesn't rely on the stone anymore. The stone transformed him forever
The Imgur album you linked litteraly has him dying from removing it tho. The narration even flat out says that's why he dies in the scene.

I don't see how the second comics is related to the Galactus matter to begin with tho.

That's because of the Galactus loop... He is fated to die no matter what unless he finds the Ka stone

That's not mentionned anywhere in the second comics' scans though.
Although I see no "fated to die" to begin with.

What's not mentioned?

Also it's his entire story - from the beginning - that he wants to prevent his death but can't do anything. I can't really link fifty issues saldy.

What's not mentioned?

Also it's his entire story - from the beginning - that he wants to prevent his death but can't do anything. I can't really link fifty issues saldy.
That whatever happen is Galactus-related. All I see is "Stone makes me immortal".

Yeah, Nova Vol 1 6 and 7 are the mains ones. And some from Nova Vol 1 24 - 25, Fantastic Four Vol 1 208, 212 - 2014. But there are some from New warriors Vol 1 47 or 48 too. I will reread them shortly and get the relevant scans later.

That whatever happen is Galactus-related. All I see is "Stone makes me immortal".
Because Galactus stuck him in time loop, Sphinx found out that the only way to survive the loop is by creating a new KaStone, so he remade it and lived past the day of his death. But as soon as the Ka stone was broken, he just died and returned into the time loop. That whole two issues are about this loop and how the only way to prevent is with KaStone.

Because Galactus stuck him in time loop, Sphinx found out that the only way to survive the loop is by creating a new KaStone, so he remade it and lived past the day of his death. But as soon as the Ka stone was broken, he just died and returned into the time loop. That whole two issues are about this loop and how the only way to prevent is with KaStone.
Doesn't this just mean that his death is what triggers the loop then?

I'm trying to find what's exactly said in Fantastic Four #206-213 (May-Dec. 1979), since that's when he got cursed.

Just read Nova 6/7, 24 - 25 before it, then F4 208 before 11 - 13 (or 12).

Basically, the whole story is that he is fated to die at the hand of Galactus and no matter what he does, he cannot escape that. Galactus made sure at every turn, he will be degeated by his hands and returned to the time loop.

Sphinx found a loophole and tried to survive anyway by recreating the KaStone.

Some more context I found in Nova Vol 3 and 4

As a user of KaStone, Sphinx exists beyond normal time, and reality. And Galactus forced him to enter this loop by forcing the universal laws on him - Nova Vol 3 6. This is further expanded upon in Nova Vol 4 32 - 35 where two KaStones existed, which should have not been possible, in the Fault - where the impossible is possible due to it being a broken time/space. In this arc, older Sphinx brings forward his younger self to try and bring two KaStones to one place so he can take both and ascend to an even higher level of existence, which means he will be free from the effects of the Galactus loop. Because Galactus was able to force him into this loop with one KaStone, he tried to gather two which will elevate his powers to insane levels.

In Nova Vol 4 35, Reed explicitly states that the only way for Sphinx to exist outside of the Galactus loop is if he destroys the space-time and recreates it from scratch without the original governing laws of reality.

In simple terms, Sphinx existed above and beyond the normal universe and its laws - and fate, then Galactus forced him back into it. Unless Sphinx recreates the entire universe, include its laws and fate, he will never escape the Galactus loop.

Not saying this just because Confluctor is a great person (although they are), but i agree (well atleast for now unless some sudden new stuff comes to light)

Back