• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Explosion yield formula under different pressures?

I'm not a calc group member, but I'll try to answer based on my experience with this.

Underwater explosions would fall under ground level I believe, since it's at or below ground level. Air blast explosions are, as the name implies, strictly in the air. As for vacuums, aerial explosions cannot occur in a vacuum. If it's depicted as happening, it can't be calculated that way because there's no air to begin with. In that case, you'd be better of trying to calculate it another way.

Example: If there's debris that's launched from the explosion, you can get the mass of it and the speed it was launched at and calc the explosion via the kinetic energy that the debris was dispersed at.

Basically, aerial explosions are strictly in the air and not in a vacuum or underwater, so there'd only be one pressure instead of the ability for there to be multiple possible pressures. Hope this helps.

Guess that makes sense, but it doesn't cover explosions happening mid-air under different pressures (Like over a mountain or in the moon)

My guess is that its effect on the yield is basically negligible for aerial explosions but not negligible for ground-level explosions.

Guess that makes sense, but it doesn't cover explosions happening mid-air under different pressures (Like over a mountain or in the moon)
You can't use any of the explosion formulae if said explosion happens in outer space, since, well, no pressure. Explosions in outer space are limited to sheer KE.

Back