• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EVERYTHING in Quote's arsenal is Low 7-B?

Yes, it makes sense for Quote to be Low 7-B because he took down the Core and Ballos. But here's the thing: the fight with the Core happened like halfway through the game, when Quote had weapons like the Machine Gun, Missile, and Blade, which work well against tanky bosses like the Core. But weapons like the Bubbler and Polar Star aren't quite as damaging as the Missile and Blade. I mean, admit it: if you didn't trade the Polar Star with the Machine Gun, then as soon as you get the Blade, you won't be using the Polar Star much anymore if at all until you can later upgrade it to the Spur. Clearly, some of Quote's weapons are better than others. So wouldn't it be kind of hard to beat the Core with only the Polar Star, let alone a level 1 Polar Star? What I'm saying is that not all of Quote's equipment should scale to the Low 7-B feat.

You could argue that a level 1 Polar Star or a level 1 Bubbler should still be Low 7-B because they can at least deal some damage to bosses like the Core. However, there's a similar case in a different game. In Terraria, Pre-Hardmode weapons can still at least deal some damage to Hardmode bosses, but they don't scale to the Hardmode bosses because it's not enough. CrabBar proved that it's possible to beat most Hardmode bosses with only Pre-Hardmode gear and without relying on major exploits. This includes Duke Fishron. And yet, despite it being apparently possible to beat Duke Fishron with Pre-Hardmode gear, the Pre-Hardmode weapons still don't scale to Duke's Low 7-B feat.

While it's probably possible to beat the Core and Ballos with a level 1 Polar Star, it would be very difficult, much like trying to beat Duke Fishron with Pre-Hardmode weapons (which, again, is possible, albeit difficult). So why is it that the Terrarian's early game equipment doesn't scale to late game bosses/feats, but Quote's early game equipment does? Because, a similarity between the two games is that the main character gets so many upgrades to their equipment and health over the course of the game, and by the end of the game, they're clearly much stronger than when they started out. This is why the Terrarian's profile is split into many different keys that represent the different points in progression - in each key, he's grown stronger since the last. But in Quote's profile, on the other hand, he only has a single key for Low 7-B, implying that all of his equipment scales to that feat, including the weaker weapons he got at the start of the game.

So here's the solution I had in mind if this CRT is accepted. If early game weapons that don't deal significant damage to the Core are decided to not scale to the Low 7-B feat, then there should be a weaker feat for them to scale to instead. Although I'm not a calc group member, I would imagine they're at least in the ball park of tier 9, because they're shown to break through certain stone blocks. This is evidenced even at the beginning of the game, where as soon as you find the Polar Star, you have to shoot through some stone blocks in order to leave the First Cave, right about here.

There's also the issue of durability. For both the Core and Ballos, pretty much all of their attacks deal at least 3 damage, but usually much more than that, and the Core in particular can reach up to 20 damage with its energy blasts (ironically, this is more damage than Ballos's strongest attacks). Simply put, if Quote hasn't collected any health upgrades prior to reaching the Core, all of its attacks will oneshot. In which case, beginning-of-game Quote doesn't have Low 7-B durability. However, there's an immediate life capsule in the First Cave, which is why I said "beginning-of-game" instead of "early game". When Quote's max HP is still 20 or less, scaling to the Low 7-B Core is still shaky at best. So, in terms of durability, Quote isn't Low 7-B when he still only has 3 max HP, becomes possibly Low 7-B when he has between 3 and 20 HP, and becomes fully Low 7-B once he has more than 20 HP.

Last edited:
Well, I'm working on something that's basically saying that 90% of firearms should be judged separately via it's own calculations given infamous bullets are prone to PIS, CIS, and Game Mechanics. And exception is if there's something supernatural or crazy about them that makes them much higher than regular bullets and have consistent showings of doing significant damage to higher up tiers. But ordinary bullets made of lead and the like are 9-C, period. And as for melee weapons, that's mostly a wielder dependent context.

But anyway, I think this OP is pretty reasonable.

Well, I'm working on something that's basically saying that 90% of firearms should be judged separately via it's own calculations given infamous bullets are prone to PIS, CIS, and Game Mechanics. And exception is if there's something supernatural or crazy about them that makes them much higher than regular bullets and have consistent showings of doing significant damage to higher up tiers. But ordinary bullets made of lead and the like are 9-C, period. And as for melee weapons, that's mostly a wielder dependent context.

But anyway, I think this OP is pretty reasonable.
Okay, it's good to know I'm not insane. Only, the Polar Star fires energy bullets, not lead. However, it's one of Quote's weakest weapons, and it's the first weapon you obtain within the first couple minutes of gameplay. By the time you fight the Core and Ballos, there's better weapons that deal far more damage, and I imagine beating them with the Polar Star would be difficult, which is why I doubt that the Polar Star along with other early game weapons should scale to the Low 7-B feat.

Fair enough, but at the same time, I pretty much still agree that it seems iffy for the most basic peashooter weapon to be the same tier as the end game bosses and the like. Though I'll tag some of the supporters for Cave Story. @GyroNutz @Starter_Pack do you have any thoughts?

In defense I can only say weak weapons can downscale, cause they're still can after some time defeat opponent. And that's it.
Although the op makes sense to me.

In defense I can only say weak weapons can downscale, cause they're still can after some time defeat opponent. And that's it.
Although the op makes sense to me.
Well... I brought Terraria up as an example for a reason. The Pre-Hardmode weapons can defeat Duke Fishron if given enough time and effort. However, they don't downscale, they simply scale to an entirely different, weaker feat to begin with. The Pre-Hardmode weapons are considered tier 8 because they can deal significant damage to Pre-Hardmode bosses, which are able to face tank many sticks of dynamite before they go down. Duke Fishron, on the other hand, is a much later Hardmode boss whom is considered Low 7-B because he could spread fog across an entire island. Despite the sizable AP gap, however, Pre-HM weapons can still damage him and eventually take him down.

The main point of this thread is I wondered why it isn't the same case for Cave Story's profiles. This game also has early game weapons that deal little damage against late game bosses, so they shouldn't scale to said bosses to begin with if we follow the logic used for Terraria's profiles for the most part. I proposed that the early game weapons should at least be somewhere in tier 9 considering they can shoot through stone blocks.

Terraria's scaling is a lot more... linear than Cave Story's. You have different armour sets and weapons, where there's a clear difference in superiority between early-game and later-game armour + weapons. There's also a separate issue with HP scaling - HP isn't a defined value like AP or Durability, and is heavily based in game mechanics. We don't base any character's durability off of health bars or the like here.

The best solution would probably be to have an early game key, where Quote is assumed to have 9-B stats (for destroying blocks + iron doors) and nothing more than a level 1 Polar Star. The "late-game" key can be assumed to have maxed out weapons (except Nemesis, basically the most powerful versions of the weapons), which is the Quote that fights against the Core/Ballos.

Back