• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EE Types?

Yeah. Without types, it would imply all EE are the same, when we all know some are vastly different then others.

I don't think that would be beneficial, since if this would be properly implemented, it wouldn't be optimal. A character could have the ability to erase a character physically and temporally, but not spiritually, or erase a character physically and spiritually but not temporally, which would lead to overlapping types of existence erasure, and there are countless other extra effects existence erasure can have besides the three I used in the example. When this is the case, it's better for profiles to explain how a character's existence erasure works when it's beyond baseline, instead of a profile needing to apply numbers among countless of them from the Existence Erasure page that represent every possible additional ability that could come with the ability of existence erasure.

Yeah, that could work. We can’t be assuming every EE is the same as with other abilities like Corruption, Conceptual Manipulation, Acausality, etc.
A character could have the ability to erase a character physically and temporally, but not spiritually, or erase a character physically and spiritually but not temporally, which would lead to overlapping types of existence erasure, and there are countless other extra effects existence erasure can have besides the three I used in the example.
There is a reason why we list the different types in an ability as we do with Immortality and Acausality. It’s completely normal.

Yeah, that could work. We can’t be assuming every EE is the same as with other abilities like Corruption, Conceptual Manipulation, Acausality, etc.

There is a reason why we list the different types in an ability as we do with Immortality and Acausality. It’s completely normal.
Immortality and acausality have nuance by nature, as in, the word "immortality" and the word "acausality" don't necessarily mean one specific idea. The word "existence erasure" does just mean one specific idea, but sometimes a character has additional abilities along with it. Those additional abilities should be described separately, rather than the Existence Erasure page going on and on about abilities that are already explained on different pages.

Ability Types just being "additional abilities along with it" isn't abnormal. Off the top of my head Type 3 Immortality is literally just Regeneration.

For overlapping types, we could just list "Type this and that" like we do for characters that have multiple types of Immortality.

i.e. "Immortality (Types 1 and 3)"

Ability Types just being "additional abilities along with it" isn't abnormal. Off the top of my head Type 3 Immortality is literally just Regeneration.
It's indeed not abnormal, but the problem is that it would be not optimal for existence erasure.

Immortality type 3 is not just regeneration, it is the ability to not die as long as the separate ability of regeneration can be used.

So regeneration...
No. A character with regeneration doesn't necessarily have immortality type 3 unless they prove that type of immortality, as in the ability to not die, not the ability to rebuild their body. It's in the name, "Immortality via regeneration". The ability itself isn't regeneration, it's an ability that may come from regeneration.

Even with these mental gymnastics I'm not seeing the difference, but I'll leave that alone. Point is ability types can still encompass other abilities.

Anyway, the bottom line is that this revision proposal to existence erasure would be no different than proposing to list many different types of fire manipulation on the Fire Manipulation page, for specific cases in fiction where fire can harm spirits, where fire can burn higher dimensions, where fire can burn the fourth wall, where fire is a cosmic concept that can be controlled by godly forces, et cetera. We can clearly define what existence erasure and fire manipulation are; the former is the ability to completely destroy what the target is in some way, and the latter is the ability to control flames in some fashion. Unlike immortality, where all types are the fundamental idea of being beyond mortality but mostly by entirely different means compared to each other, the different types of existence erasure or fire manipulation would just be specific enhanced applications featuring other abilities that are already explained in-depth in other ability pages. This revision would just squish many different abilities into one page a character achieved abilities via existence erasure. Instead of the different types of existence erasure being different meanings of the term, they would just be existence erasure plus another different ability. What I imagine would be "type 2; spiritual erasure", would really just be existence erasure and soul manipulation together.

The only other similar cases of your idea I see elsewhere on this wiki are immortality via regeneration and immortality via reincarnation or resurrection, but those seem to be exceptions as a result of how the framework of the ability to be beyond mortality typically has vast nuance in its depictions in fiction. Regeneration and resurrection themselves typically have a lot of varying in their depictions in fiction too. The framework of existence erasure is a lot more clear, with other separate abilities optionally also applying, in a similar way as how other abilities can have enhanced applications without having different types listed within their VS Battles Wiki page, like I wrote in the previous paragraph about fire manipulation. This thread's proposal isn't bad though, I just don't think it would be optimal to go through with such a revision.

Anyway, the bottom line is that this revision proposal to existence erasure would be no different than proposing to list many different types of fire manipulation on the Fire Manipulation page, for specific cases in fiction where fire can harm spirits, where fire can burn higher dimensions, where fire can burn the fourth wall, where fire is a cosmic concept that can be controlled by godly forces, et cetera. We can clearly define what existence erasure and fire manipulation are; the former is the ability to completely destroy what the target is in some way, and the latter is the ability to control flames in some fashion. Unlike immortality, where all types are the fundamental idea of being beyond mortality but mostly by entirely different means compared to each other, the different types of existence erasure or fire manipulation would just be specific enhanced applications featuring other abilities that are already explained in-depth in other ability pages. This revision would just squish many different abilities into one page a character achieved abilities via existence erasure. Instead of the different types of existence erasure being different meanings of the term, they would just be existence erasure plus another different ability. What I imagine would be "type 2; spiritual erasure", would really just be existence erasure and soul manipulation together.

The only other similar cases of your idea I see elsewhere on this wiki are immortality via regeneration and immortality via reincarnation or resurrection, but those seem to be exceptions as a result of how the framework of the ability to be beyond mortality typically has vast nuance in its depictions in fiction. Regeneration and resurrection themselves typically have a lot of varying in their depictions in fiction too. The framework of existence erasure is a lot more clear, with other separate abilities optionally also applying, in a similar way as how other abilities can have enhanced applications without having different types listed within their VS Battles Wiki page, like I wrote in the previous paragraph about fire manipulation. This thread's proposal isn't bad though, I just don't think it would be optimal to go through with such a revision.
EE is different from fire manip since if you have fire that can harm higher dimensional beings for example then that's something completely removed from fire manipulation, like fire can't do that, but EE that targets the soul is still EE, it just has a wider definition of what counts as your existence, same as erasing someone from history or narrative

EE is different from fire manip since if you have fire that can harm higher dimensional beings for example then that's something completely removed from fire manipulation, like fire can't do that, but EE that targets the soul is still EE, it just has a wider definition of what counts as your existence, same as erasing someone from history or narrative
I didn't mean fire that can harm higher-dimensional beings, I meant fire that can literally physically interact with dimensions. I haven't seen this in a fictional work myself, but it's certainly possible, and I imagine that the explanation could be something like that the fire is a special kind that has special access outside of space or something like that. A character being able to manipulate that fire would mean they would have a different "type" of fire manipulation than the default, since the nature of the fire would be completely different than the default.

Like I wrote, the kind of idea that I'm writing is also the case with fire that can harm spirits. What I meant is the ability to outright burn souls, not simply being a normal fire attack that can damage ghosts as a result of non-physical interaction. That isn't a "type" of soul manipulation, it's just soul manipulation and fire manipulation together, like how erasing a soul isn't a "type" of existence erasure, it's existence erasure and soul manipulation together. This idea of adding "types" to pages could apply to pretty much any ability if it applies to existence erasure. Reality warping is another really good example.

It is true that you could regard the erasure of spirit or history as a wider definition of what counts as a target's "existence", but this is still achieved by abilities in addition to what is regular existence erasure.

Back