• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
'''Grabs Popcorn''' while reading through the thread looking for a logical excuse that will makes this episode canon. Just to add two feats.

@AppleLord-Kun

It aired on 100% Canon anime with no need for Non-Canon Filler since it's not based on an ongoing manga.

Not an argument, The Living Tribunal. The anime, while not 100% Toriyama, is confirmed as the canon continuation.

Stop this myth that only what Toriyama touches is canonical. Each Super episode has it's own writer and director, as well as a gigantic team working on it. Toriyama only supervises, approves, gives general ideas and designs and whatnot. An episode can have no involvement from him and still be canon.

Dragon Ball Super is the canonical continuation, so it's episodes are canon.

So simple.

Well it is toriyama's involvment that makes it canon, isnt that why we dont consider GT canon?

Well toryiama didn't exactly say gt was canon. While in super he said the super anime was canon while manga was secondary

LT Matt just showed that it is considered canon because it is confirmed to be, DBZ wasn't.

The Living Tribunal1 said:
so dbz anime for some reason is non canon = okay
but the stuff that toriyama is not involved in being canon = okay?
False equivalence.

DBZ Anime is non-canon because it is a derivative work, whose fillers existed to pad and have the manga progress in the plot. It's non-canon because it's an adaptation, first and foremost.

GT is non-canon for being a direct sequel of the non-canon anime.

DBS is an original work not based on anything. So putting a Gag Filler episode is an artistic choice of the production, not done to have the source material progress the main plot.

INB4 people say this line confirms Saitama beats DB...

Gaggy

Matthew Schroeder said:
so dbz anime for some reason is non canon = okay
but the stuff that toriyama is not involved in being canon = okay?
False equivalence.
DBZ Anime is non-canon because it is a derivative work, whose fillers existed to pad and have the manga progress in the plot. It's non-canon because it's an adaptation, first and foremost.

GT is non-canon for being a direct sequel of the non-canon anime.

DBS is an original work not based on anything. So putting a Gag Filler episode is an artistic choice of the production, not done to have the source material progress the main plot.
DBS is only canon because it is based off toriyama's manuscripts

and toriyama was in touch with the dbz anime team, heck maybe even more than he is right now (as of now he just sends a rough set of instructions or something, back then he would have influenced how entire arcs went)

and when we see arcs pop up in the anime which do not appear in the dbs manga at all, it is very likely that those mini-arcs were not a part of toriyama's manuscript

No, it's canon because it was stated to be the direct continuation of the manga, and confirmed by Toriyama. If Toriyama stoped working on it, that won't make it non-canon.

There's no holy canonical Toriyama Bible, folks.

Also, the DBS Manga completely destroys the plot, such as when it had Kibito fight Zamasu instead of Goku, when Goku was the very reason he began to see mortals as dangerous.

To be fair Ryu you could make the argument that beerus > any Gag character (even though that's obviously not true) cause he would have killed arale.

Due to the DB room at toei were going to have to treat DB more like a comic than a manga when it comes to whats canon.

It was only considered canonical since it had toriyama as a source.

And for that to be consistent, the episodes would have to be based off toriyama's directions

and the reason why the manga is somewhat different is because toriyama's instructions arent to the point, its more or less a summary of the plot, which is then interpretted slightly differently by toyotaro and toei.

If this particular mini arc appears in the manga, then we can assume that this mini arc did indeed original from toriyama's work

RadicalMrR said:
Due to the DB room at toei were going to have to treat DB more like a comic than a manga when it comes to whats canon.
That's what needs to happen. The rest of the FT arc in the manga will be different from the anime as said by Toyotaro. Now we really are getting ready to look at two very different takes on the same story, but neither of which is really non-canon.

Shock97 said:
Gokuiscool144 said:
So Beerus is not going to get hax because of this? R.I.P
He already has the "possible" hax on his profile, this is just a feat that would further cement that, but his hax is not ignored ever since the Hakai thing.
No, I meant the fact he can destroy beings without a soul and such not happening just because toriyama didn't look at ONE episode i:

I have to say the more and more the series progresses the more hax beerus gets, this whole hakai hax thing makes perfect sense, he is the god of destruction makes sense he can destroy whatever he pleases. This just makes me more curious what hax the angels are packing.

Aye it happened. I think we are going to see a lot of hax used in the baseball match to cheat. Can't wait to see what else the Angel staff can do o:

This episode was funny as hell and showed us beerus has the Godliest of all noses and that he can even destroy Ghosts!.

@Azure not sure why you are asking me, though the topic of Arale is being discussed in this thread, and I think Radical's points might seem to make sense.

It was only considered canonical since it had toriyama as a source.

And for that to be consistent, the episodes would have to be based off toriyama's directions

and the reason why the manga is somewhat different is because toriyama's instructions arent to the point, its more or less a summary of the plot, which is then interpretted slightly differently by toyotaro and toei.

If this particular mini arc appears in the manga, then we can assume that this mini arc did indeed original from toriyama's work

I knew it: people are cherry picking. Did you talk to toriyama btw?

FTW395 said:
@Everyone that says there's no filler in DBS, anything that Toriyama had no involvement in is filler. (In terms of the outline of the story).
WEll,not a single episode is directly written by Toriyama so entire DBS is noncanon

I think Top tier next to Goku or Vegeta idk (Vegeta never transformed so he might have been equal like with Goku in SSB)

At least above Goku and Vegeta, though people could make a case for her being in the top tier with Beerus.

idk if she is above boku and vegetal just that they are equal but where to put yeah..

Are People really upgrading characters, because of a Gag episode? Might aswell upgrade Kid Goku to sub-rel.for putting monster carrot on the moon! (That's Canon, so it has to be accepted!)

1)Prior to training with Master Roshi DB was a gag manga and gag scenes in Super have been dismissed because it isn't a gag series.

2)Even going by the first DB ark its still an outlier compared to everything else.

3)This episode was a gag episode and only the gag character was upgraded.

Ryukama said:
INB4 people say this line confirms Saitama beats DB...
Gaggy
I don't see how they can make those claims. Perhaps of Goku and Vegeta, but when it comes to Beerus, the buck stops there, since he killed a meta-aware ghost. Basically, Beerus beat a gag character without any effort while barely paying attention to him.

I calced Whis' speed feat and got 32.4 trillion times SoL which miserable compared to what hes currently rated.

Dont know about Beerus, while the episode was a big gag he did technically explain what his hakai attack is.

I know Beerus lies alot but Whis? In the beginning of Super Beerus asked Whis to go faster but Whis said this is his top speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back