• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Age The warden

I've couple questions regarding some of the claims on the warden page.

What is basis for claim that mage warden is regarded to be superior to:

1) First Enchanter Irving and Knight-Commander Greagoir - To my knowledge Irving praises the warden as his pupil but it's never stated they're more powerful mage as far I'm aware and nor they fought in combat together. The closet to compare both on (but still not quite reliable) is their match against abomination Uldred, Irving lost it while the warden is victorious. However, this is not quite reliable as Irving could have been overwhelmed during battle with other blood mages and abomination and Irving didn't have Litany of Adralla (although it doesn't have to be used at least from gameplay perspective). Of course you could technically solo entire tower including Uldred but solo run isn't acknowledged by anyone in Origins as far I know. One could perhaps easily argue that The Warden Commander in awakening is superior to Irving in power as a mage or at least more competent combatant as solo run is acknowledged in Awakening and The Warden can slain pride demon/abomination (unclear if baroness was pride abomination or pride demon that took her form).

2) Morrigan - You can't fight her and it's never stated as far I'm aware. The closest to defeating her is in Witch Hunt (that took place after the awakening expansion so that would be more the warden commander feat) but even then it was more of a surprise attack by stabbing her during conversation.

In addition I think that comparing Corypheus to Architect is an assumption as Architect never demonstrated feats comparable to Corypehus (type 4 immorality), ability to control grey wardens or even feats demonstrated in Legacy (albeit admittedly it could be merely Varric spicing things up as game is from perspective of told story by him (which affects what we see both in gameplay and story, rather than actual events just being shown to the player as they happen). In addition Architect seems to have recollection problems from what I recall, so he is unaware who he is and possibly lost large chunks of knowledge along with it, making him perhaps inferior to Corypheus.

I've also a questions about age, is it age during Origins or latest dragon age product/game? Also on what basis The Wardens age was determined?

In addition, What's source on that Grey Warden Commanders have to be comparable in power to each other? To my knowledge they're appointed by the first commander (at least in Dragon age awakening this seems to be in the case)but it wasn't stated it's done necessarily on basis of combat power, it could be matter of achievements (as a leader rather than combatant), connections etc. So as far we know either could be weaker than another.

I think the tower debacle is enough to comfortably put the Warden above Irving as the latter got overwhelmed by Uldred and his summons and companions despite having several senior mages with him and a tower full of templars, whereas, as you mentioned, the Warden can completely clear out the tower solo or with a team of companions of your choice of varying power. The fact the Irving with all his mages lost against the blood mages and demons, and Greagoir with all his templars retreated with who they could escape with seems clear to me they are no match for the tower’s attackers, whereas your party, which is highly flexible aside from the Warden themself, can clear it without fail. Narratively this seems a pretty clear indication of superiority, even if Irving was taken by surprise.

As for Corypheus and the Architect, both were Sidereal Magister of comparable prestige who were typically active rivals and competitors. This is reinforced by the fact that Corypheus and his first Acolyte agreed the Architect’s support could mean the difference between success and failure in breaching the Golden City. The idea they are comparable in power is not a stretch to me.

As for the rest of it, I agree we can remove the comparisons to Morrigan and Clarel to be safe.

Back