• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DOOM Speed Upgrade (MASSIVE)

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
It's recently come to my attention that the entire DOOMverse's collective speed ranking is wrong.

Recall this thread, in which it was agreed that the Plasma Rifle and BFG's projectiles share almost identical properties to real-life plasma which moves faster than Coronal Mass Ejections. (Henceforth referred to as CMEs)

According to this, CMEs move anywhere between 20 km/s and 3,200 km/s, with an average speed of 489 km/s. 489 km/s is 489,000 m/s (almost Mach 1426), and 3,200 km/s is 3,200,000 m/s. (just above Mach 9329)

Faster than Mach 1426? That's Massively Hypersonic+. Faster than Mach 9329? That's Sub-Relativistic.

If so, maybe we can scale certain characters. Has anyone dodged the BFG? I saw the Cyberdemon dodge some heavy rounds of weapons in 2016 Doom but I don't know about the rest.

All of the DOOMverse characters are already scaled to Doomguy/The Doom Slayer himself due to being able to react to him in combat. Many demons such as Imps, Arch-viles, Revenants, etc can also dodge Plasma Rifle projectiles on their own, and certain enemies move as fast as (or faster than) Doom as well.

In other words, this would be a massive upgrade across the entire verse and its pages.

I'll do that. If this gets approved, I should be able to write up a few descriptions/justifications to copy-paste into the various profiles in place of their current ones.

Also, the Doom Slayer has a speed-boosting powerup (Haste) which boosts his running and firing speed to a certain degree. If we can figure out by how much, we'll be able to assign a speed rating to that as well.

Oh wow! This looks legit. To be fair, the low end is what they're already scaled to, but I agree with the idea of scaling them to the average speed. As much as I want a high end scale, it sounds a bit much. But this is a massive upgrade either way.

Additionally, this also might effect their tiers as well given kinetic energy formula.

Now see, I took a look at the article again, and it occured to me as I was reading that the IRL plasma mentioned (which is what the Plasma Rifle's plasma shares its characteristics with) is stated to be 'moving faster than it should have been able to travel if it was produced by the shockwave', with no real placement on whether or not this applies to 'average' plasma ejections or 'all' plasma ejections. The nature of the statement strongly implies the latter, but it isn't fully concrete.

So, with that in mind, I'm thinking "At least Massively Hypersonic+, likely Sub-Relativistic" for combat speed and reactions. The average CME is MHS+, so that would be our baseline. But the article seems to lean towards placing the IRL plasma at a speed higher than CMEs in general, which gives me the impression that we should keep the high-end and use it as...well, a high-end.

I sure thought so.

Though I'm wary of making such an astronomical upgrade (especially to an entire verse) without awaiting mod approval before going through with it, so I'm going to wait and see what the higher-ups have to say about this first.

Bump again.

Would definitely appreciate some sort of moderator feedback on this.

Oh yeah, combining the mass of character's arm with combat speed as their velocity was generally considered Calc stacking; at least when you already know the AP and use that to find their speed, but didn't know vice versa was calc stacking. But whatever their movement speed gets calc'd at, I'm sure we could still use the mass of The Titan's whole body; around 14,225 tons and combine that with the movement speed for kinetic energy AP & Durability.

All of the info is there. The prior thread I linked agreed that the Plasma Rifle's projectiles were identical enough to this IRL plasma that they could be treated as such, but sadly nobody stopped to confirm just how fast the CMEs are to begin with. (Hence the current rating)

If this gets accepted in time, I can work on the profiles myself later tonight.

Bump a third time.

I was hoping for at least one more admin to put forth their opinion on this before carrying out the revision. Should we wait?

Alright, nice. Thanks all.

Here's what I have for Doomguy's new justification:

"Speed: Subsonic+ (Easily capable of outrunning 660 mph rockets despite the restrictions of his armor), at least Massively Hypersonic+, likely Sub-Relativistic combat speed/reactions (Capable of reacting to and dodging Plasma Rifle projectiles comparable to real-life plasma waves, the likes of which have been proven to travel faster than Coronal Mass Ejections. The average CME moves at approximately 489 km/s and is capable of reaching speeds as high as 3,000 km/s.)"

All of the monsters scale to this. Slower monsters such as Former Humans, Cacodemons and Pain Elementals should have something to the effect of "Should not be overwhelmingly slower than Doomguy", while faster monsters such as Imps, Revenants, Arch-viles, etc. should most likely say "Comparable to Doomguy" in addition to their notes pertaining to each other. (The Arch-vile would be "Comparable to Doomguy. Considerably faster than an Imp", for example.) Certain special cases such as the Cyberdemon and the Hell Guard have shown to directly rival him in speed, also.

I can get started on the revisions immediately, but I would appreciate some help with this if possible. There are a lot of pages to cover.

Nevermind about the help. I've finished all of the upgrades myself.

If I've missed any pages, someone should point them out before we close this.

Back