• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does Kaguya Shinomiya have Multiple Selves? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that
Multiple Selves (Kaguya has three alternate personalities, which apparently form her complete "self"[4])
has been added in Kaguya's profile. However, I feel that Multiple Selves is not suitable in her profile.

I believe that Kaguya's "three alternate personalities" is the visualization of her conflict in mind rather than Multiple Selves. In Chapter 142 (Regarding Kaguya Shinomiya, Part 4, 四宮かぐやについて④), it is stated that her developed pseudo-multiple personalities to protect herself from the stress from strictness of the Shinomiya group. At the same chapter, it is outright said that the phenomenon is neither multiple personalities nor personality disorder. The chapter also attempts to refer to Carl Jung's Persona theory to explain this.

Update after a Like is received: I also checked the reference attempt to justify the ability. The Chapter (Chapter 53) directly confirms that "Kaguya's "three alternate personalities" is the visualization of her conflict in mind".

Therefore, I request for removing Kaguya Shinomiya's Multiple Selves for reasons above and add a note regarding the issue.

Note: The CRT does not affect her vs debating threads.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. We have seen Kaguya's attitude and personality change drastically at times. The cold one, the child like one, etc. So while that chapter might be for visual purposes only, she has shown hints of multiple personalities various times through the series. Although it is different from your usual multiple personalities, it is still multiple personalities nonetheless.

I have noticed that

has been added in Kaguya's profile. However, I feel that Multiple Selves is not suitable in her profile.

I believe that Kaguya's "three alternate personalities" is the visualization of her conflict in mind rather than Multiple Selves. In Chapter 142 (Regarding Kaguya Shinomiya, Part 4, 四宮かぐやについて④), it is stated that her developed pseudo-multiple personalities to protect herself from the stress from strictness of the Shinomiya group. At the same chapter, it is outright said that the phenomenon is neither multiple personalities nor personality disorder. The chapter also attempts to refer to Carl Jung's Persona theory to explain this.

Update after a Like is received: I also checked the reference attempt to justify the ability. The Chapter (Chapter 53) directly confirms that "Kaguya's "three alternate personalities" is the visualization of her conflict in mind".

Therefore, I request for removing Kaguya Shinomiya's Multiple Selves for reasons above and add a note regarding the issue.

Note: The CRT does not affect her vs debating threads.
I have to disagree. We have seen Kaguya's attitude and personality change drastically at times. The cold one, the child like one, etc. So while that chapter might be for visual purposes only, she has shown hints of multiple personalities various times through the series. Although it is different from your usual multiple personalities, it is still multiple personalities nonetheless.
Disagree FRA

Generally describes those who has one or more personas or personalities co-inhabiting their mind. Note that characters that simply suffer from a dissociative identity disorder (also known as multiple personality disorder) don't normally qualify for this ability; in order to meet the requirements, their alternative identities must be extremely relevant, influent and grant them exceptional or supernatural powers, abilities and/or resistances, sometimes even affecting the very structure of their body.
Kaguya's "personalities" may not meet said standard. The personalities functions more like "I tend to A when outside and I tend to B when inside" type which average person such as politicians would have. It never goes to the "and grant them exceptional or supernatural powers, abilities and/or resistances".

Also, Chapter 142 debunks the "multiple personalities or personality disorder", which automatically make her failed to meet multi personalities standard in our wiki.

But technically Kaguya's personalities do grant something different, might not be supernatural, but different nonetheless. The cold and emotionless one was slightly more smarter and more calculating from what I can remember, and the child one had Social influencing.

But technically Kaguya's personalities do grant something different, might not be supernatural, but different nonetheless. The cold and emotionless one was slightly more smarter and more calculating from what I can remember, and the child one had Social influencing.
For Ice Kaguya, in Chapter 144, it is stated that the "Ice Kaguya" is actually a side of her logical thinking mode is shown in extreme form.

While I have become neutral about the Multiple Selves after seeing Kaguya changes her size drastically in Chapter 139, I would like to know if she still meets Multiple Selves' standard with these argument since a perfect evidence is better.

Update: In Chapter 139, it shows that Moron Kaguya is actually retaining her original size and the "chibi sized" Kaguya is the dramatically visualization for audience since the narrator said that in-universe characters still see her as normal.

Last edited:
I mean the personalities do bring something new to the table, so I think it's more than fine to keep it as it is. Although linking more chapters as references will probably be better.

I mean the personalities do bring something new to the table, so I think it's more than fine to keep it as it is. Although linking more chapters as references will probably be better.
But the new thing is actually no different from we average human without good mental health. For example, a real-life kid can behavior very childish in home while be polite and stiff when meeting strangers. Also, Moron Kaguya is no supernaturally multi selves since an average person can behavior childishly if exhausted (60% happiness, 40% escaping reality and inadequate sleep in Kaguya's case [Chapter 139]) and I feel that the manga comically exaggerated her thought visually, a trope which is not unusual in works. For example, TV Tropes believe this:
Split Personality: Subverted. (Ice), (Moron), and (Child) all appear to be split peronalities, but they are all explicitly an artistic representation of Kaguya being a Mood-Swinger rather than distinct entities unto themselves.
For example, in Effects of sleep deprivation on cognition (which is present here in an attempt to debunk Moron Kaguya "split peronalities"), the abstract states:
Whereas many convergent and rule-based reasoning, decision making and planning tasks are relatively unaffected by sleep loss, more creative, divergent and innovative aspects of cognition do appear to be degraded by lack of sleep. Emerging evidence suggests that some aspects of higher level cognitive capacities remain degraded by sleep deprivation despite restoration of alertness and vigilance with stimulant countermeasures, suggesting that sleep loss may affect specific cognitive systems above and beyond the effects produced by global cognitive declines or impaired attentional processes. Finally, the role of emotion as a critical facet of cognition has received increasing attention in recent years and mounting evidence suggests that sleep deprivation may particularly affect cognitive systems that rely on emotional data.
(https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-53702-7.00007-5)
Therefore, "Moron Kaguya" is nothing new in real life and does not count as split personalities.

For the Ice Kaguya debunk, I'll present evidences later since I have some personal affairs.

Also, doesnt Kaguya literally talks with her own different personalities sometimes?
While Kaguya talks with "different personalities", it could be interrupted as her conflicting viewpoint (emotion as several chapters said) and it is not an unusual portrayal in media. (I have stated this in previous replies.) The portrayal often takes the form of "The Angel and The Devil" to show how conflicted their mind is (and the canon text heavily suggests this especially Chapter 142 I mentioned in this proposal), but Kaguya is. Aside from this, Ice Kaguya and Moron Kaguya may not be enough to be considered as split personalities for the reason I said above.

What do you think that we should do here, Confluctor?

What do you think that we should do here, Confluctor?
I personally think it should be kept. While it isn't your classic case of multiple selves, it still is in some ways and brings something new to the table. Mariogoods said they have some more arguments, so I am just waiting for them atm.

I'd like to clarify that my opinion is that Kaguya should not have multiple selves because
1) I don't think Kaguya's "alternative personalities" qualify the standard written in Multiple Selves page;
2) There are several chapters straightforwardly refute "alternative personalities" (Chapter 53; Chapter 142);
3) Moron Kaguya is the result of tiredness which is no strange in the Real World. (Chapter 139)
4) Ice Kaguya is the protective persona and the result of repressive environment which is no strange in the Real World too.
5) Because of 3), 4), Kaguya's

The argument for 1), 2), 3) can be seen in my posts above. Since I cannot provide the manga scan, I do hope someone could provide the manga scan about the chapters. No matter how the argument goes, I need to take a break about the Kaguya series and I retain my point while respecting any results. Also, should the multi selves is kept, it is more close than Type 1.

Okay. Thank you for helping out.
Wait, Kaguya's profile gets deleted because "Kaguya falls under the 'low-powered character not from a verse with any combat elements' clause of the rules". I don't think she should be deleted for this reason especially her weapons and combat skills are presented. I request for restoring the profile. It means that all I did is meaningless.

Wait, Kaguya's profile gets deleted because "Kaguya falls under the 'low-powered character not from a verse with any combat elements' clause of the rules". I don't think she should be deleted for this reason especially her weapons and combat skills are presented. I request for restoring the profile. It means that all I did is meaningless.
Her profile definitely needs to be restored

I mean, even if technically could not actually be alternative personalities if at practical effects it's like alternative personalities then I don't see the problem, she change of personality involuntarily, the personalities have special traits (Ice Kaguya for example you yourself recognized that it's a extreme mode logical thinking, and in real life such extreme change isn't really common or natural), and the personalities can talk and have debates between them which is something common in fiction (in the talks there is Moron Kaguya, which show that she isn't only a natural tiredness state and actually have importance in her mind). So I believe it should be kept.

Also, yes, her character actually have combat oriented skills and training, it's even despited as quite strong and that can fight so it should be restored.

I'd like to clarify that my opinion is that Kaguya should not have multiple selves because
1) I don't think Kaguya's "alternative personalities" qualify the standard written in Multiple Selves page;
2) There are several chapters straightforwardly refute "alternative personalities" (Chapter 53; Chapter 142);
3) Moron Kaguya is the result of tiredness which is no strange in the Real World. (Chapter 139)
4) Ice Kaguya is the protective persona and the result of repressive environment which is no strange in the Real World too.
5) Because of 3), 4), Kaguya's

The argument for 1), 2), 3) can be seen in my posts above. Since I cannot provide the manga scan, I do hope someone could provide the manga scan about the chapters. No matter how the argument goes, I need to take a break about the Kaguya series and I retain my point while respecting any results. Also, should the multi selves is kept, it is more close than Type 1.

@Promestein

What do you think?

We may as well make a page for Dwight Schrute, a sitcom character, because he has weapons and kinda knows martial arts.

This is basically just an anime romcom, it's a low-powered character without any notable abilities and from a verse without any combat focus or slant whatsoever. Sure, the character has minimal combat skills, but it's nothing notable and it's not particularly important to her story because it's not a combat setting.

Okay. I am fine with us deleting it then. Should we get rid of the Peppa Pig pages as well?

Low-powered character without combat abilities, so yes, I'd say so. If you're gonna get a character from a non-combat verse on here they should at least have superhuman stats or abilities

Okay. Would you be willing to delete those pages and remove versus matchups with them from other character pages?

We may as well make a page for Dwight Schrute, a sitcom character, because he has weapons and kinda knows martial arts.

This is basically just an anime romcom, it's a low-powered character without any notable abilities and from a verse without any combat focus or slant whatsoever. Sure, the character has minimal combat skills, but it's nothing notable and it's not particularly important to her story because it's not a combat setting.
Kaguya has weapons too and she knows martial arts too. Also, she has photograph memory.

Last edited:
Low-powered character without combat abilities, so yes, I'd say so. If you're gonna get a character from a non-combat verse on here they should at least have superhuman stats or abilities
They have superhuman stats (9-C and 9-B), so it is also invalid to refer this rule to delete Peppa Pig profiles.

Kaguya has weapons too and she knows martial arts too. Also, she has photograph memory.
You misunderstand, I was saying that we can't make a page for Dwight, it's against the rules, and Kaguya is little different.

Sang Woo has a profile, why Kaguya can't?

Akari as well, in fact i did requested it to be deleted long ago but for some reason the profile still stay

Akari as well, in fact i did requested it to be deleted long ago but for some reason the profile still stay
Wait, her profile implied High-Godly lol, she can erase herself from the plot, but she can come back from it

Okay. I will do so. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back