• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Do we assume everyone has Chi in VS thread?

Rikimarox2

He/Him
Pretty much the title.

Assume someone has the ability to absorb Chi, and make an energy that perfectly counters his opponent, would that ability work against someone from another series where it wasn't shown if it has Chi?

If chi is life-force here then it’ll work against anyone who has (for absorption) or uses life-force in their attacks.

Which everyone is assumed to have unless their physiology dictates otherwise.

If chi is life-force here then it’ll work against anyone who has (for absorption) or uses life-force in their attacks.
So, assuming Character A has a different kind of energy that isn't called Chi, and Character B has Chi absorption that works by injecting the enemy with the chi of his own. Anyone who gets their Chi absorbed by it makes their attacks worthless, not doing any damage and heavily, heavily weakening them.

If Character B has managed to inject Character A with his Chi, would he also make Character A's attacks worthless, and heavily weaken him despite Character A not having Chi?

I honestly didn't understand much from your response, sorry.

Depends on verse equalization, what constitutes "Chi" for this character? Is Chi generic life force or like a universal energy system like Chakra? Depends also where Character A's own supernatural attacks come from.

Depends on verse equalization, what constitutes "Chi" for this character? Is Chi generic life force or like a universal energy system like Chakra? Depends also where Character A's own supernatural attacks come from.
Everyone and their mother has it, and it's their life force iirc. Not everyone is able to use Chi offensively, also.

Yes, Chakra is Life force, and the power of someone's soul, pretty much like Ki. The only difference is that Ki is made up of physical, Spiritual and mental energy, while Chakra is only the combination of physical and Spiritual energy.

Both are different type of energy, but both follow the same concept and are made by similar properties, so yeah...

Conclusion, the Chi absorption user would be able to absorb another type of energy from a character of a different verse as long as the energy he wants to absorb is Life force.

so its like a universal energy system
I guess, yeah.

Yes, Chakra is Life force, and the power of someone's soul, pretty much like Ki. The only difference is that Ki is made up of physical, Spiritual and mental energy, while Chakra is only the combination of physical and Spiritual energy.

Both are different type of energy, but both follow the same concept and are made by similar properties, so yeah...

Conclusion, the Chi absorption user would be able to absorb another type of energy from a character of a different verse as long as the energy he wants to absorb is Life force.
Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear!

So, assuming Character A has a different kind of energy that isn't called Chi, and Character B has Chi absorption that works by injecting the enemy with the chi of his own. Anyone who gets their Chi absorbed by it makes their attacks worthless, not doing any damage and heavily, heavily weakening them.
From what I’ve gathered from the type of verse this happens in where everything has chi. The attacks being worthless is probably a side effect of their chi diminishing, which they need for their attacks. If someone just used say their biology, (non-chi based) magic or technology to attack, then draining their chi will only slowly kill them, rather than diminishing their attacks.

From what I’ve gathered from the type of verse this happens in where everything has chi. The attacks being worthless is probably a side effect of their chi diminishing, which they need for their attacks. If someone just used say their biology, (non-chi based) magic or technology to attack, then draining their chi will only slowly kill them, rather than diminishing their attacks.
Ah, I see. But I believe this attack would still heavily weaken an opponent if said opponent's energy is also a life-force?

If the opponent has life-force based attacks then verse equalization will make sure they function the same way in both verses. So the end result will be the same as what happens in character B’s verse, weakening the opponent. Although as a side note, absorbing what people need to live kinda has that effect anyways regardless of energy systems, for obvious reasons.

the opponent has life-force based attacks then verse equalization will make sure they function the same way in both verses
We don't need verse equalization when both Life force/energy is similar.

For example, Moro would be able to absorb Chakra, simply becouse the energy is very similar, adding that is Life force, Ki and Chakra are not the same thing, yet they got similar mechanics.

If someone would have chi according to the standards of one verse, then it would have chi, even if the character itself has never used chi. This apply to any form of esoteric energy.

We don't need verse equalization when both Life force/energy is similar.

For example, Moro would be able to absorb Chakra, simply becouse the energy is very similar, adding that is Life force, Ki and Chakra are not the same thing, yet they got similar mechanics.
Verse equalization is designed to make energies the same when they are similar though…

By verse equalizations standards, we do assume that all characters have some sort of life force/energy. In which Ki/Chi, Chakra, Ether, ect are fundamentally the same thing at it's core and we typically assume everyone is susceptible to energy absorption and stuff.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean the character wouldn't be able to absorb that energy without verse equalization.
Actually I'll argue it does mean that. Since I'd use the small differences between the energies to say they are different things and thus you can't prove that a character from one verse would be able to absorb the energy from another verse. You need verse equalization to fix that issue for you.

Actually I'll argue it does mean that. Since I'd use the small differences between the energies to say they are different things and thus you can't prove that a character from one verse would be able to absorb the energy from another verse. You need verse equalization to fix that issue for you.
No, there is no counter for that actually. If both energies operate under similar mechanics, small differences are irrelevant, simply becouse they don't matter.
Life energy, still Life energy, so it can be absorbed, regardless of the energy.

I think there was a thread for this, in which was accepted that similar energies don't need to be equalized IIRCC

If similar energies don't need to be equalized, then verse equalization is pointless lol.
No, not with energies like Chi and Chakra, which are very similar.

For example, Ki is the combination of mental, spiritual, and physical energy, while Chakra is only the combination of the last two.

Both are stated to be linked to someone's soul, Ki for example was stated in the Moro arc to be linked to someone's soul for example.

See, Ki and Chakra have lots of similarities that Verse equalization wouldn't matter in this case, yet, both still being different energies, they are not the same.

Also @Rikimarox2 I found this “Furthermore, attacks that require a special type of energy to be effective, like anti-magic requiring magic, will be assumed to work against the energies of different Verses, as long as they are somehow similar and the mechanics are somehow compatible with the known mechanics behind the energies from different Verses.”

So I think that the chi absorption thing can be quite broad under verse equalization and apply to things such as magic. But it’s mostly case-by-case.

Sounds like you need verse equalization to absorb the mental aspect of Ki as well.
Nope, as long as it's Life energy, the character would be able to absorb, just one minor difference isn't going to change anything. And again, it was already accepted that unless both energies are similar, with very few minor differences, it will work.

Can you show me the thread?
I will copy paste what the SBA says about verse equalization:

Furthermore, attacks that require a special type of energy to be effective, like anti-magic requiring magic, will be assumed to work against the energies of different Verses, as long as they are somehow similar and the mechanics are somehow compatible with the known mechanics behind the energies from different Verses. For example, mind control resistance by being a capable mind user would also work against other Verses, but mind control resistance through a strong will would not necessarily work against mind control from other Verses. It is also important to note that characters won't lose or gain any abilities or resistances which they do or do not inherently possess. However, if an ability has a weakness, condition, caveat, or limitation, consistently shown throughout its use (such as not working on characters under a specific condition, like energy gap) or stated by a valid and uncontradicted statement, then it should be applicable after the equalization.

Equalization works highly on a case-by-case basis, so many relevant cases should be discussed in the versus thread itself.

If Magic has shown to work similarly to Reiatsu, it should be assumed that the Sword works.

Back