• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discussion Rule Controversy

@Hierophant

Those should likely remain true rules that we can close the thread immediately for. At least for the time being.

However if a match becomes less controversial we can remove said rule, as we did for DC v DBZ.

By the way, can we not start getting offended and start playing "that" game? Otherwise Assalt necro'd this thread for no reason but for us to start fighting (certainly not his intention).

@Sera

Rewording them to sound less "conceited" is fine, but in this case potentially hurting our reputation by maintaining the regulations is a very minor concern compared to having the energy to focus on new topics rather than being buried in a neverending sea of old ones. One is a matter of popularity, whereas the other is a matter of realistic functionality.

@Assalt, It would be something like this.

• Mario Bros
    • Mario and Luigi fighting against Dreamy Bowser, who is 2-B, is considered inconsistent with the general scope of the main Mario casts natural power levels. For one, while Mario has defeated other 2-B characters in the form of Count Bleck and Super Dimentio, who was only able to do so thanks to the Pure Hearts. Furthermore, the Mario cast is most consistent with Tier 4 and are usually heavily dependant on power ups for anything higher than that. Finally, Mario's base form being 2-B would also scale to Bowser in his base form due to them being rivals naturally, but that would in the end beg the question why the characters even need the power ups of Grand Stars, Dream Stone, Dark Stone, Pure Hearts ect.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (The Universe)
    • Sonic being 5-B or 5-A in base form scaling from Dark Gaia and Chaos has also been considered dubious. For one, Sonic not only needed help from Gaia Colossus who did most of the physical work, Sonic was only able to harm Dark Gaia by attacking his eyeballs. Insects do not suddenly become 9-B via stinging large animals in the eyes, so Sonic would not scale for similar reasons. Sonic was also dependant on durability negating freezers in order to fight against Chaos 6, and only managed to defeat Perfect Chaos by attacking him from the inside out like a virus. Furthermore, Sonic originally and in canon required the Chaos Emeralds and transforming into Super Sonic in order to defeat either Dark Gaia or Perfect Chaos originally, and his base form is consistently on the same level as Chaos's base form and thus would be inconsistent for base Sonic to be naturally above base Chaos.
That's basically the consensus of the rules. The bullets should preferably have detailed paragraphs explaining why the feats aren't concrete or why they're outliers instead of just saying they aren't legit or are outliers. I will need to go to work now though.

Well, if we're not removing the rules, what is there to argue? The entire point of this thread was to rewrite rules written in a manner such as this:

"Please do not try to upgrade Arceus to Tier 0. He is a mere Multiversal Pokémon that's nowhere near close to being omnipotent just because it is the Pokémon verse's god".

It's just an example, but some rules, such as the one about trying to upgrade Yhwach, could be written much better. We've rewritten rules for similar reasons before. For example, the rule against making profiles for joke characters. The original rule was worded in a way that basically mocked and made fun of such characters, even calling them "not funny" (which violates NPOV).

Medeus' suggestion seems considerably better, yes.

@Sera

I prefer that others take it seriously, rather than being insulting and belittling, when I am honest about that I am completely overworked for the sake of this community, and cannot take any further taxation in that regard.

That said, I may have overreacted in my response to Matthew. I have now entered a lengthy very strict diet on top of my regular workload, so the cortisol stress hormone levels are spiking even further.

Now you see why rules worded in such a manner might be, for lack of a better word, "offensive" to fans of that verse.

The Fusion Reborn Goku feat and the Janemba stuff were resolved, so i think they can be removed.

Our main concern with the rules shouldn't be to not potentially offend anybody whatsoever. It should be to maintain functionalisty in acting as a bulwark against endlessly repetitive nonsense.

That said, as long as all of the information is retained, I don't mind if they are rewritten to become more formally worded.

Dark649 said:
The Fusion Reborn Goku feat and the Janemba stuff were resolved, so i think they can be removed.
Okay. That seems fine.

I'll admit, considering your experience the others should be a bit more considerate regarding your concerns. But regarding the task at hand, I share the same state of mind as Kepekley, which isn't anything against you so much as it is against the cultural mindset of the wiki to mock certain topics or verses due to annoyingly extensive and repetitive topics surrounding them, again, like we did for Bleach or even regarding the standards for the types of profiles we allow, such as joke characters.

Again, you are free to reword the regulations so they are not perceived as mocking, but all the useful information/context must be retained or there is no point in them remaining in the first place.

Of course. DDM's format for the rules works for me.

Does anyone else have a problem with the wording of my proposed changes?

I'll make the edits when I get home.

Okay. Please remember to follow Medeus' format pattern.

Just a note that you do not have to adjust the regulation texts unless you find a wording that you find potentially offensive. In those cases you can modify them.

Also, remember to use a scalpel rather than a sledgehammer, to not cause any significant problems for either myself or the wiki.

Back