• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discord speed upgrade

In MLP comics friensip is magic issue#24 discord flew from the horsehead nebula to earth for his monthly hangout session with fluttershy .What i think makes that feat so impresive is the fact that he flew so fast that he went back in time also the horsehead nebula is 1.500 light years away from earth the time that it took discord to fly from the horsenebula to earth is unsecified but i think its logical to assume that it didnt take him more than a few days or hours to get to earth if thats the case then discords speed should be upgrated to MFTL+ or at least FTL+

I think that seems like a MFTL+ feat, yes. However, a scan would be appreciated.

Unfortunatly my computer has a small problem at the moment so i can not provide you with a scan for now at least.

If you want you can easily find the fulll comic on youtube and its available online for free assuming you havent read it already.After you read it you can tell me weather or not you think discord needs a speed boost

Definitely seems like a MFTL+ feat. Though didn't the comic only the page before show that Discord came to Equestria via a meteor? Even if he created it, it's not like he was actively piloting it after setting its trajectory, considering he didn't even notice he went back in time a week.

This seems like it would strictly apply to travel speed, since Discord's combat/reaction feats in the actual show are far lower (i.e. being surprised by a beam that is relativistic to lightspeed...twice).

Discord mentions that he flew from space to earth he never states that he arived there via a meteor he probably wanted to make an entrance but eiven if he did arrive to equastria via the meteor it whould be imposible for a meteor of that size to travel from the horsehead nebula to earth in such a short time and actualy crash in the exact location discord wanted it to crash into so if discord truly arived to equastria via the meteor he was probably piloting it or at least controling it if discord was able to pilot something moving that fast that probably means that that feat does not strictly apply to travel speed but reaction speed as well.

I also want to mention that you cant simply travel from the horsehead nebula to eatrh by traveling in a straight line if discord wasent piloting the meteor he whould had crashed into a houndret diferent planets before arriving on earth that basicaly conferms that discord was controling the meteor if he eiven arrived on earth using it.

"Flew" does not mean Discord had to literally fly using his wings, as he can easily mean "flew through space on a meteor", which is what we see him do. He even states "It's impossible to get a good ride through the cosmos, these days" when talking about his ride on the meteor being uncomfortable.

His exact words are also, "I've come all the way from the Horsehead Nebula", not "I've personally flown all the way here from the Horsehead Nebula".

Assuming this applies to anything other than travel speed is still greatly contradictory to Discord's canon showings of being unable to properly respond to what is at most a lightspeed attack.

Well i dont remember a time when discord failed to react to a lightseed attack if you are talking about the elements of harmony that is considered by most people to be PIS simply because discord had plenty of time to teleport away and that attack was not eiven that fast as i said before if discord wasent piloting the meteor the it whould be imposible for him to crash in that exact location or eiven ariven on earth for that mater.

I don't really see how that's PIS when it's one of the only proper reaction feats we have from Discord. While he could react to the Elements, he could not dodge them if he wasn't prepared beforehand. He would have no problem with this if he was MFTL+.

Discord is a reality warper who does all kinds of ridiculous things. Setting a course for Equestria and then lounging inside a meteor is far from the most ridiculous thing he's done.

It is considered by many to be PIS because the attack was extremily slow and noware near the speed of light he also had plenty of time to teleport away or dodge the attack also but he made absulutely no effort to escape the same goes for a lot of ather villians in MLP if discord didnt have some control over the meteor the he whouldt be able to arrive on earth or crash in that exact location the fact that he does all those ridiculous stuf dasent mean much and can be said about almost every reality warper ever.

Thanos2003 said:
It is considered by many to be PIS because the attack was extremily slow and noware near the speed of light he also had plenty of time to teleport away or dodge the attack also but he made absulutely no effort to escape the same goes for a lot of ather villians in MLP if discord didnt have some control over the meteor the he whouldt be able to arrive on earth or crash in that exact location the fact that he does all those ridiculous stuf dasent mean much and can be said about almost every reality warper ever.
1. You do not need to show an attack being properly lightspeed (since you can't, really) for it to be SoL.

2. Discord being unable to dodge or react in time does not mean he could have done so but just didn't.

3. Discord even implies he "hitched a ride" on the meteor. As in, was not directly controlling it most of the time. You cannot just assume he did because we don't see him do it, especially when he wasn't even aware of the own speed he was going at until he looked back on it.

The element of harmony arent eiven FTL there just Relativistic discord also has relativistic reactions so he chould of easily teleported away but for some reason he made no effort to escape or protect himself .

It is true that discord wasent of the speed he was going in but he chould still see were he was going and control the meteor to his will to force it to crash in a specific location mening that he probably also has MFTL+ reactions.

@Paulo

Relativistic via an actual calc of them hitting the moon. SoL at the highest end assuming they fire actual light, which they probably don't, anyway.

@Thanos2003

That's not how it works. The Elements are Relativistic. Discord is Relativistic. Discord gets surprised by the Elements. As the beam is similar speed to him, he now does not have enough time to dodge and can only make futile attempts to struggle before being turned to stone.

If Discord was MFTL+ in reactions, the Elements would have been moving so slow compared to him, they would barely have been moving at all. Nothing else in the verse could even touch Discord. And yet things have. Consistently.

Discord didnt escape while he was being turned to beause the element negateted his chaotic it is explained beter in the comics magic the reason why discord didnt escape before the mane six activated the elements was because he didnt ralise they were back to normal and thought the elements whouldnt effect him but when he realized it he was already being turned to stone.

Just because a character dasent consistanly move at MFTL+ speeds that dasent mean they cant fictional characters can always be inconsistent with their power i mean look at superman the reason why i believe discord also has MFTL+ reactions is because he accomplished a feat that whould require him to have MFTL+ reactions.

I don't think you're getting it.

The argument isn't that fictional characters can't move at MFTL+ speeds.

It's that in primary canon, Discord is consistently tagged and hindered by things of significantly lower speeds, and the feat you want to use to justify him having MFTL+ reactions doesn't even appear to be a reaction feat.

You need to prove he has these reactions, not just say "he could have reacted but didn't".

I dont think you understand as i said before the only time when discord has failed to react to an an attack was with the elements of harmony and that was because about the the time he realized the element chould effect him he was already being turned to stone and he chouldnt do anything about it because the elements negated his magic.

The reason why that feat whould require him to have MFTL+ reations is because you cant just travel from the horsehead nebula to earth by going in a streight line mening if you tried that you whould crash in like a houndret diferent planets and you whould never get to earth meaning that discord had some control over the meteor not to mention that if he didnt control the the meteor he whouldnt have crashed in that specific location meaning that he was piloting or at least controling the meteor and controling an obgect tha is going at MFTL+ speeds requires you to have MFTL+ reactions it is true that discords speed is a litlle inconcistent but the same can be said obout amost every ather fictional character.

Discord failed to react to the Elements of Harmony twice. Discord failed to just poof away from Tirek when he grabbed him. In canon, Discord has been tagged by multiple things well below MFTL+. It's not really low showings, as he doesn't have any showings of being drastically faster than the rest of the top tiers.

No, it wouldn't. Again, Discord knows where Equestria is. He knows where Fluttershy's cabin is. He knows where he's going. Discord has shown the power to just pop in and out of other universes in the exact spot he wants. Nothing suggests he would need to actively pilot the meteor to reach Equestria. You need more than just speculation on what he did to justify such a massive reaction speed boost.

Both times when he failed to to stop the elrments of harmony wasent because he failed to react to them but because he was uneware that the elements whould effet him and by the time he realized it was already to late he didnt fail to poof away from tirek when he grabed him he didnt know what tirek was about to do thats why he didnt try to escape him.

Its imposible for somewone to travel from the horsehead nebula to earth by gong in a straight line you whould need to pass multible planets and star systems and if discord wasent controling the meteor and was simply going at a straight line then he whould crush in like a houndret diferent planets and stars thats not speculation thats a fact.I know that discord knows about equestria but he whould still need to see were he is going and pilot the meteor to force it to crush in that specific location because as i said before you cant simply get from the horehead nebula to earth by traveling at a straight line thats simply imposible and you cant say athewise and no disord hasent teleported to equestria from ather universes only his own personal dimension that eiven normal ponys can enter.

Quoting myself because I addressed this already literally a couple of posts ago.

"If Discord was MFTL+ in reactions, the Elements would have been moving so slow compared to him, they would barely have been moving at all. Nothing else in the verse could even touch Discord. And yet things have. Consistently."

"Discord knows where Equestria is. He knows where Fluttershy's cabin is. He knows where he's going. Discord has shown the power to just pop in and out of other universes in the exact spot he wants. Nothing suggests he would need to actively pilot the meteor to reach Equestria."

I gave you a clear reason as to why he failed to stop the elements he simply made no effort to dodge them or teleport away because he didnt know the elements whould effect him dont use the same argument over and over.

Its imposible for somewone to travel from the horsehead nebula to earth by gong in a straight line you whould need to pass multible planets and star systems and if discord wasent controling the meteor and was simply going at a straight line then he whould crush in like a houndret diferent planets and stars thats not speculation thats a fact.I know that discord knows about equestria but he whould still need to see were he is going and pilot the meteor to force it to crush in that specific location because as i said before you cant simply get from the horehead nebula to earth by traveling at a straight line thats simply imposible and you cant say athewise and no disord hasent teleported to equestria from ather universes only his own personal dimension that eiven normal ponys can enter.

1. That is not a legitimate argument. He didn't know what they did the first time. he knew quite well the second time, and even showed fear once they started to work. You can't just say "he could have, but didn't" in order to clear up anything contradictory to your view of this feat.

2. I have already told you that Discord did not need to pilot the meteor. He did not need to actively change its course if he knew where he wanted it to go in the first place. Hell, if he really did go back in time, then he could have just moved in a straight line, as he wouldn't even be in the same temporal axis as the objects he would otherwise collide with.

First discord didnt know that the mane 6 were back to normal so he didnt know that they chould once again use the elements i already explained that.

Everything you said was pure speculation moving and controling an object that is moving at MFTL+ speeds also requires MFTL+ reactions what you said about time travel also dasent make much sense simply because he whould have noticed that he wasent coliding with the objects around him but he didnt also time travel works vry diferent in many fictional universes if thats how time travel works in one fictional universe it chould very well work diferently in another but time travel is a whole nother debate of itself so please dont bring ithat up.

You have not properly explained anything. You have only given excuses for Discord being tagged to validate a feat that only scales to reactions on incredibly specific interpretation.

Speculation is the reason I am not accepting this as a reaction speed feat. If you want to show Discord was actively piloting the meteor and reacting to incoming objects at MFTL+ speeds, you must prove it, or at least show something that heavily suggests it. If you cannot, then it is not a valid reaction speed feat.

I gave you actual reasons as to why discord failed to stop the elements.

Like i said Its imposible for somewone to travel from the horsehead nebula to earth by gong in a straight line you whould need to pass multible planets and star systems and if discord wasent controling the meteor and was simply going at a straight line then he whould crush in like a houndret diferent planets and stars thats not speculation thats a fact.I know that discord knows about equestria but he whould still need to see were he is going and pilot the meteor to force it to crush in that specific location because as i said before you cant simply get from the horehead nebula to earth by traveling at a straight line thats simply imposible and you cant say athewise and no disord hasent teleported to equestria from ather universes only his own personal dimension that eiven normal ponys can enter there is no need for me to show you a picture of discord piloting the meteor because i already explained that he whould need to in order to travel from the nebula to earth.

Look i am taking a break from the debate plese reply to my comment but dont exept a reply for the next few hours there is place i need to go to so i can olny continue the debate after a few hours i hope you understand.

"from the horsehead nebula to earth by gong in a straight line you whould need to pass multible planets and star systems"

I think this was actually addressed in the blog post, the chance of him running into anything is extremely low, so we can't assume he had to navigate

I am finewith MFTL+ travel speed. Promestein is correct in that in order to bump into things in outer space, you have to aim for them, considering how unfathomably sparse they are.

The chance of bumping into things in outer space isnt low you dont nececery have to aim for them the horsehead nebula is about 1,500 light years away from earth the chane of bumping into ather objects is extremily hight considering how many star systems you whould need to pass throught and you whould also need to pass many asteroids that exist in those parts of space as i said before it is almost imposible to travel from the horsehead nebula to earth by going in a straight line and considering discord isnt all seing he whouldn't know were fluterrshy was at that spesific point so he probably saw her as he was geting closer to the earth in time so he whould need to control the meteor to force it to ctrash in that specific location unless you want to argue that the fact discord crashed right in front of flutershy was just coincidence witch is imposible so that feat probably also aplays to reaction speed.

Look what i am traying to say is that it whould bee posible for you to travel from that part of space to earth withought bumping into any stars planets but you whouldnt be able to avoid small objects like astroids that can sometimes be the size of mountans and they exist in both our and ather solar systems especialy if your moving at such hight speeds and eiven if you chould you still whouldnt be able to crash into that specific part of earth in that specific location without actively piloting the object your moving in no knowlege of equestria whould allow discord to do such a thing.

Also eiven in low earth orbit astroids up to 50 km in size can be found spacerafts usually dont bump into objects like that because the trajectory of the spacecraft is planned years in advance and the astroids are spread over a very big area so the likelihood of colision is very low and eiven the there still a big risk but that only goes for the low earth orbit not deep space in ather parts of space and in ather solar systems astroids have been faound that are the size of mountains that are extremily dificult to avoid if you are moving at such hight speeds considering how many there are in space so no discord whouldnt really be able to travel fro the horsehead nebula to earh at such hight speeds without bumping into objects its just that the likelihood of not bamping into anything while traveling such a huge distance at such high speeds is extremily unlikelly so discord was probably piloting the meteor he was moving in.

Yes, but you need to insert a good explanation as well.

Well i personaly think that he should also have MFTL+ reactios but if both Ant and Azathoth think that he should only have MFTL+ travel speed then why not they chould put his reaction speed at unknown.

Well, we can probably scale his combat speed from the alicorns.

I already gave a good explenation as to why i think he should have MFTL+ reations here it is

The chance of bumping into things in outer space isnt low you dont nececery have to aim for them the horsehead nebula is about 1,500 light years away from earth the chane of bumping into ather objects is extremily hight considering how many star systems you whould need to pass throught and you whould also need to pass many asteroids that exist in those parts of space as i said before it is almost imposible to travel from the horsehead nebula to earth by going in a straight line and considering discord isnt all seing he whouldn't know were fluterrshy was at that spesific point so he probably saw her as he was geting closer to the earth in time so he whould need to control the meteor to force it to ctrash in that specific location unless you want to argue that the factdiscord crashed right in front of flutershy was just coincidence witch is imposible so that feat probably also aplays to reaction speed.

Look what i am traying to say is that it whould bee posible for you to travel from that part of space to earth withought bumping into any stars planets but you whouldnt be able to avoid small objects like astroids that can sometimes be the size of mountans and they exist in both our and ather solar systems especialy if your moving at such hight speeds and eiven if you chould you still whouldnt be able to crash into that specific part of earth in that specific location without actively piloting the object your moving in no knowlege of equestria whould allow discord to do such a thing.

Also eiven in low earth orbit astroids up to 50 km in size can be found spacerafts usually dont bump into objects like that because the trajectory of the spacecraft is planned years in advance and the astroids are spread over a very big area so the likelihood of colision is very low and eiven the there still a big risk but that only goes for the low earth orbit not deep space in ather parts of space and in ather solar systems astroids have been faound that are the size of mountains that are extremily dificult to avoid if you are moving at such hight speeds considering how many there are in space so no discord whouldnt really be able to travel fro the horsehead nebula to earh at such hight speeds without bumping into objects its just that the likelihood of not bamping into anything while traveling such a huge distance at such high speeds is extremily unlikelly so discord was probably piloting the meteor he was moving in.

If you stll think that this feat only applys t travel speed then you chould just upgrade his travel speed to MFTL+ and just put his reaction speed at unknown how does that sound

Back