• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discord Immeasurable Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay this should be a pretty simple addition. Discord should have Immeasurable Speed added to his profile.
In Issue 24 of the MLP IDW comics, Discord flies from the Horsehead Nebula back to Equestria in order to hang out with Fluttershy, however he ends up racing back so fast that he actually ends up going back in time a full week to before he was scheduled to hang out with her.
c1db77033a49713028de30b0e3a23ea8227d8a73r1-674-491v2_hq.jpg

This falls in line with our standards on Immeasurable speed, and thus should be added to his profile.
“Immeasurable speed characters are far beyond even those Infinite speed characters listed above. They perceive infinite speed characters as completely frozen, and they can travel forward and backward in time at will. They have the speed necessary to hop from the beginning of time, to the end of time, and anywhere in between as casually as a human being can roll their eyes left or right. This also means their reaction time is faster than instantaneous. They can dodge an attack that already has been struck, and they can strike someone even before they launched an attack. And they can do all of this via sheer speed.”

Last edited:
The site standards say otherwise

Being able to casually roam around freely across linear time qualifies for immeasurable speed. However, traveling to different time periods through movement is a common feat in fiction that often leads to inconsistencies and has been done via FTL travel or running laps around the earth faster than it rotates. This can lead to characters being assigned an additional, independent, speed rating for the ability. This should preferably be evaluated case by case.

Where is this listed cause this contradicts what is said about Immeasurable speed on the actual speed page.
“Immeasurable speed characters are far beyond even those Infinite speed characters listed above. They perceive infinite speed characters as completely frozen, and they can travel forward and backward in time at will. They have the speed necessary to hop from the beginning of time, to the end of time, and anywhere in between as casually as a human being can roll their eyes left or right. This also means their reaction time is faster than instantaneous. They can dodge an attack that already has been struck, and they can strike someone even before they launched an attack. And they can do all of this via sheer speed.

Seems explicit, he performed this by flying (i.e. movement) and apparently did this so casually he hadn’t even noticed at first, and to quote our Speed page, “Being able to casually roam around freely across linear time qualifies for immeasurable speed”. Due to those details along with the statement that he did this via speed I don’t see how this wouldn’t qualify.

That could be FTL and not Immeasurable
Afaik we’d only rate it as FTL if the series specifies that FTL movement = Time Travel, like The Powerpuff Girls or DCEU Flash’s feat. As per the standards we rate many instances of movement across time as Immeasurable speed, like Dragon Ball Heroes / Bayonetta / Pluto / DC Comics Speedsters / ect.

I would assume that since characters already scale to MFTL+, FTL time travel is not a thing mentioned in the MLP verse. So in this case, the FTL time travel angle wouldn't hold up
Yeah it wouldn’t really make sense for it to be FTL when characters normal speeds are already way beyond that.

Umm... I am just going to send this here and continue lurking somewhere else..:
This thing is incredibly outdated. After the show ended the show runners said that the comics were now the primary canon, and they then went and referenced a bunch of older comic runs, so yes many of the comics are in fact canon, there’s nothing about this that contradicts the show or anything either so it doesn’t even matter. We already accept the comics as canon on the profiles, including adding feats and abilities from the comics.

Umm... I am just going to send this here and continue lurking somewhere else..:
“In addition, when the Season 10 comic books were released initially, Whitley claimed that the comics were now the 'primary canon, meaning that they are an official continuation of the cartoon series. This is especially noteworthy as the Season 10 comics confirmed several comic book storylines as happening, thus making them canonical to the cartoon.”

Listed on the verse page

Is Discord having Immeasurable speed a consistent feature? Because just performing it once as a joke isn't the best reason in my view. Especially when this is a note on his profile

Seemingly he already either has this feat listed or has a similar showing that's just part of his ability to time travel.
I mean he does it so casually he doesn’t even realize it happened. Plus it would make sense for him to be able to do that considering he’s a top tier in the verse so it’s not like it’s an outlier or anything.

Also that was listed there back when the site standards said that traveling through time with speed is only FTL not Immeasurable, it would just be extra justification for his ability to travel through time, just that he can do it via speed alone.

Seemingly he already either has this feat listed or has a similar showing that's just part of his ability to time travel.
I can’t comment on your outlier point but the feat listed clearly isn’t just a time travel hax ability if that’s what you’re saying, he did it via speed.

Okay after reading the comic I'm against the rating
  • Discord appears in a meteor rather than him just flying. It's even mentioned that it came from the sky
  • Later in the comic he just makes a time machine
  • He has the power to freely time travel or make things that can time travel
To me, the simpler answer is that he just used his time-travel powers. In the same comic he's taken by surprise multiple times by random thing as well.

Overall Immerurable just seems like a reach to me.
he did it via speed.
He arrived inside of a meteor. He didn't fly physically, he went into a meteor and more importantly went inside a meteor with anti-time crystals.

I'm not seeing direct speed here like with Flash or Immortals.

• Discord appears in a meteor rather than him just flying. It's even mentioned that it came from the sky
To me, the simpler answer is that he just used his time-travel powers. In the same comic he's taken by surprise multiple times by random thing as well.

He arrived inside of a meteor. He didn't fly physically, he went into a meteor and did something weird with that but messed up.

This requires so many leaps. Discord was flying the meteorite to the planet, and he still flew it so fast it went back in time. Having the ability to time travel normally doesn’t matter when he straight up says that it was because of how fast he was flying that he went back in time.

. Discord was flying the meteorite to the planet, a
fast he was flying that he went back in time.
Reread his line
Change in distance over time. Compensate for the mass. Plus the two pounds of anachronistic crystals.
The meteor he hijacked had two pounds of anachronistic time crystals in them. Which is one of the major reasons why he messed up his arrival.

I'm not seeing raw speed time travel in this comic. I'm seeing a weird meteor feat and powers his profile already covers.

Reread his line

The meteor he hijacked had two pounds of anachronistic time crystals in them. Which is one of the major reasons why he messed up his arrival.

I'm not seeing raw speed time travel in this comic. I'm seeing a weird meteor feat and powers his profile already covers.
The meteor is pretty much irrelevant to this anyway, no meteor flies that fast so it was clearly Discord’s power making it fly that fast.

That “equation” is clearly just a gag Discord is making, it’s a parody of overly complicated “scientific” explanations, which is why there’s a bunch of unrelated math and him using a toothbrush and toothpaste to paint it over. It’s not real math at all lol.

no meteor flies that fast so it was clearly Discord’s power making it fly that fast.
The meteor affected Discord's powers, which is why he time-traveled in the first place and messed up his landing. It's why when he was doing his math he added features taken from the meteor into the equation, meaning it affected the overall outcome of his arrival because he forgot to consider it originally.
That “equation” is clearly just a gag Discord is making,
The equation is a justification for his next line, which is what you're using for the time travel justification. The equation has to be valid because it's used as justification for why his arrival was off by so much.

The meteor affected Discord's powers, which is why he time-traveled in the first place and messed up his landing. It's why when he was doing his math he added features taken from the meteor into the equation, meaning it affected the overall outcome of his arrival because he forgot to consider it originally.

The equation is a justification for his next line, which is what you're using for the time travel justification. The equation has to be valid because it's used as justification for why his arrival was off by so much.
The entire point of the equation is that it doesn’t make sense at all lol, it’s just a gag that he’s making and has nothing to actually do with the feat.

He arrived inside of a meteor. He didn't fly physically, he went into a meteor and more importantly went inside a meteor with anti-time crystals.

Having read the comic I’m not seeing any indication the meteorite had anything to do with the time travel, he just rode on it during flight. Your “simpler answer” conflicts with what Discord said he did in the comic, being that he “flew too fast”. The feat was also accidental, whereas all of Discord’s Magic powers have to be consciously activated.
IMG_7653.jpg

He only uses a time machine later in the story to take his companions with him on an excursion, that doesn’t really negate his own feat.

I’m not sure where you’re getting that the meteorite had “anti-time crystals”? Where is that specified in the comic?

Hmmm I dunno. He clearly states he went back in time in the scan because he flew too fast. Unless for some reason meteors in MLP have shown the ability to fly through time on their own, then it's his doing. Also, how he did or didn't time travel in the other situations doesn't really matter since, again, he explicitly states he flew here. And could you elaborate on the anti-time crystals in context of the story?

As I see it now, the worst this would be is;

MFTL+, Immeasurable via flying through time.

Also those “Anachronistic Crystals” especially make no sense, they’re not something mentioned ever before, or anytime after this one comic, so truth be told they might not even really exist and is just a word Discord made up, very fitting for his character lol. So if anything the equation is the inconsistency here.

I'm not sure. He clearly did travel back in time for sure, and he did do it via "Going to fast" however, there are standards that may be prone to inconsistency and usually traveling back by accident is something I tend to be skeptical about having Immeasurable reaction speed. I mean, Superman traveled back in time by accident in the first Superman movie and it was only considered FTL. Though he was specially traveling laps around the earth and not through space like Discord was. And it was agreed to removed "Immeasurable via running through time" from profiles in favor of just calling them time travel abilities.

But I'm neutral, it is possible for this to be Immeasurable speed if there is more elaborated context I can have from the comic.

I'm not sure. He clearly did travel back in time for sure, and he did do it via "Going to fast" however, there are standards that may be prone to inconsistency and usually traveling back by accident is something I tend to be skeptical about having Immeasurable reaction speed. I mean, Superman traveled back in time by accident in the first Superman movie and it was only considered FTL. Though he was specially traveling laps around the earth and not through space like Discord was. And it was agreed to removed "Immeasurable via running through time" from profiles in favor of just calling them time travel abilities.

But I'm neutral, it is possible for this to be Immeasurable speed if there is more elaborated context I can have from the comic.
I mean it was less that he didn’t mean to do it and more he just did it so casually he didn’t realize that he had done it at first, but it being so casual I think should count as it being Immeasurable.

I do agree with immeasurable since I've constantly talked about this feat.

Also, I do want to make an argument in favor of full-on immeasurable over just "possibly."

Discord as a character outright never goes all out in-universe, so him accidentally preforming an immeasurable feat wouldn't exactly be an outlier to his other feats. He does practically everything in the series extremely casually, even said immeasurable feat. He's just built different.

But if "possibly immeasurable" is accepted, I'm fine with that compromise.

Discord as a character outright never goes all out in-universe, so him accidentally preforming an immeasurable feat wouldn't exactly be an outlier to his other feats. He does practically everything in the series extremely casually, even said immeasurable feat. He's just built different.
I disagree with this sentiment, really. Being immeasurable means a load of things that absolutely do not fit within the verse.

Since we would have to scale a TON of things to immeasurable from this, even if Discord is casual a lot of the time. Discord being immeasurable means that he absolutely should not have been caught off-guard by Tirek sucking his magic, or been caught off guard by the villains using the bell. So the only explanation would be the villains are immeasurable too.

He also could've stopped Fluttershy from being kidnapped in To Where and Back Again, could've simply dodge the illness from the monster in Three's A Crowd, simply avoided being banished in A Matter of Principals, etc. etc.

You can't say "he was caught off-guard" because immeasurable reactions/combat speeds would allow him to not be caught off guard by other random beings. The only way I can see this working if we do something like The Flash and give him immeasurable travel speed via time travel specifically, this should NOT scale to his reactions at all.

I disagree with this sentiment, really. Being immeasurable means a load of things that absolutely do not fit within the verse.

Since we would have to scale a TON of things to immeasurable from this, even if Discord is casual a lot of the time. Discord being immeasurable means that he absolutely should not have been caught off-guard by Tirek sucking his magic, or been caught off guard by the villains using the bell. So the only explanation would be the villains are immeasurable too.

He also could've stopped Fluttershy from being kidnapped in To Where and Back Again, could've simply dodge the illness from the monster in Three's A Crowd, simply avoided being banished in A Matter of Principals, etc. etc.

You can't say "he was caught off-guard" because immeasurable reactions/combat speeds would allow him to not be caught off guard by other random beings. The only way I can see this working if we do something like The Flash and give him immeasurable travel speed via time travel specifically, this should NOT scale to his reactions at all.
All of these things can literally be answered by it being Plot Induced Stupidity lol. Realistically, even him being MFTL+ would apply to all of these things as well. Not to mention obviously the writers would not portray Discord as being Immeasurable in every instance he appears in, they probably don’t even know what that is. This is the same kinda logic as why can we even see him moving if he’s FTL. A character does not always have to be shown at what their max speed is for that to be their max speed, this is a rule across all verses. The Flash is also extremely quick but one of his greatest villains is just a guy with an ice gun. It’s obvious that writers put the story above feats, so none of these are really contradictions.

All of these things can literally be answered by it being Plot Induced Stupidity lol. Realistically, even him being MFTL+ would apply to all of these things as well. Not to mention obviously the writers would not portray Discord as being Immeasurable in every instance he appears in, they probably don’t even know what that is. This is the same kinda logic as why can we even see him moving if he’s FTL. A character does not always have to be shown at what their max speed is for that to be their max speed, this is a rule across all verses. The Flash is also extremely quick but one of his greatest villains is just a guy with an ice gun. It’s obvious that writers put the story above feats, so none of these are really contradictions.
At some point you really have to draw the line between PIS and something just not being consistent at all.

Discord has like what, two showings of immeasurable, and there's no proof of it scaling to combat speed? Versus a bunch of other showings of him consistently getting caught off-guard by other things?

Either these other things are immeasurable or this only scales to his travel speed. I do not see how this scales to his combat/reactions at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back