• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Difference Infinite, limitless, immeasurable, endless

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference about infinite, immeasurable, limitless, endless

Or are they the same

Example:
1. If We through Limitless space, Will we get infinity speed?
2. If we through endless space, Will we get infinity speed?

3. No ending", if there are about Never reach the ending(Hierarchi)<With this feats. Will get H1b structure or only 1B Structure

No, not at all. The meaning of these words is completely dependent on context.

Though, limitless and endless can mean infinite in quite a few cases. Immeasurable usually just refers to a large amount.
Thankss

No, not at all. The meaning of these words is completely dependent on context.

Though, limitless and endless can mean infinite in quite a few cases. Immeasurable usually just refers to a large amount.
Wait so it's depends on the context now ? I thought endless universe = 2-B tier and infinite universe = 2-A tier.

Infinite universes is explicit in its meaning. Endless can mean infinite but in lieu of no extra proof for this to be the case, then it just means a large amount.

....And in wiki standards that's it. They're not buzzwords with an exact meaning.

....And in wiki standards that's it. They're not buzzwords with an exact meaning.
Infinite and Immeansurable have that means in wiki standard, it would be illogical if they used the actual menaing of immeansurable for 4D speed, strengh etc..

with countless it generally means that.

They chose Immeasurable to mean that when used to talk about those things (speed, lifting strength). That doesn't mean the word itself has that meaning.

There should be a page for those terms since many people seem confused about how we treat those (unless there is already one given, give me a link)

Or are they the same

Example:

3. No ending", if there are about Never reach the ending(Hierarchi)<With this feats. Will get H1b structure or only 1B Structure
1 possibly infinite speed 2 depends on context
3 depends on the context

Wait so it's depends on the context now ? I thought endless universe = 2-B tier and infinite universe = 2-A tier.
No, countless = 2-B. Endless can very well mean 2-A if the context is there for it. Endless is more solid than Countless as a whole.

Yes, Planck is correct. Context, context, and context.

If that endless means infinite then yeah, endless could be just forevermore, isn't necessarily infinite.
Once again, context is key. But in terms of being more solid, Endless stands on higher ground than Countless does.

Can you guys create a page where those terms can be explained more deeply?

Can you guys create a page where those terms can be explained more deeply?
Why would we create a page when the Terminology page is best suited for this?

Hell, this is something easily handled by a dictionary, and each verse with such statements would be handled separately in their own threads, AKA case-by-case basis.

Why would we create a page when the Terminology page is best suited for this?

Hell, this is something easily handled by a dictionary, and each verse with such statements would be handled separately in their own threads, AKA case-by-case basis.
Link me the link to terminology + people are always in debates and in every discussion, they still ask the same question about differences between those terms. And depends on the context, there are always different interpretations for each of us, either we create a page that actually at least clarifies those words, or I personally think according to the international most trustworthy dictionary, they still have the same meaning. There was also a discussion in the Magi thread where people argued over “infinite” for over 30 posts. My suggestion is adding a page where it clarifies what those words really mean and how they should be treated.

Link me the link to terminology
Just... google the terms "endless" and "countless"?

EDIT: Oooooh, you want the wiki terminology page, right? Gimme a sec.

Here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/VS_Battles_Glossary

people are always in debates and in every discussion, they still ask the same question about differences between those terms. And depends on the context, there are always different interpretations for each of us, either we create a page that actually at least clarifies those words, or I personally think according to the international most trustworthy dictionary, they still have the same meaning. There was also a discussion in the Magi thread where people argued over “infinite” for over 30 posts. My suggestion is adding a page where it clarifies what those words really mean and how they should be treated.
The context itself would depend on the evidence ya got.

But Ultima said that "Endless" working for 2-A in the case of a statement of number of universes should be fine, so uh...

Or are they the same
Generally, only infinite, limitless and endless are supposed to be the same, all of them imply having no end or limit.

Eternal is a measurement of time and not size.

Countless and Immeasurable both refer to something that can't be counted by normal means.

Example:
Both cases you have to cover the entire realm to qualify for infinite speed (Or cross the entire realm to escape it or traverse to another universe an infinite distance away or some shit). The second one might need a bit of context, like reference to the realm's size and whatnot.

Just... google the terms "endless" and "countless"?

EDIT: Oooooh, you want the wiki terminology page, right? Gimme a sec.

Here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/VS_Battles_Glossary

The context itself would depend on the evidence ya got.

But Ultima said that "Endless" working for 2-A in the case of a statement of number of universes should be fine, so uh...
wdym googling? If I google, both of them mean equal. One got no end and one got no count, both of them are still technically same.

Countless means something which cannot be counted. Very large numbers usually cannot be counted in any setting by humans.

Meanwhile something which is infinite can also be called countless. Which isn't incorrect either. Infinity cannot be counted afterll. So its not an antifeat.

So while countless doesn't work as proof of endless or infinite by default, neither does it work as antifeat.

As for immeasurable, while dictionary correct term mostly describes it as infinite or boundless, fiction usually doesn't treat it that way. So it by itself doesn't hold up same meaning as infinite either. But it does work as a synonym to infinite if used as support feat.

Endless or limitless is just straight up infinite of course. Pretty cut and dry. Bu default it would mean just that. Unless your verse decided to buttfuck you and endless is hyperbolic. But well same can be said for infinite or limitless. But generally all 3 words mean the same thing. Neither is better or worse than other.

Countless means something which cannot be counted. Very large numbers usually cannot be counted in any setting by humans.

Meanwhile something which is infinite can also be called countless. Which isn't incorrect either. Infinity cannot be counted afterll. So its not an antifeat.

So while countless doesn't work as proof of endless or infinite by default, neither does it work as antifeat.

As for immeasurable, while dictionary correct term mostly describes it as infinite or boundless, fiction usually doesn't treat it that way. So it by itself doesn't hold up same meaning as infinite either. But it does work as a synonym to infinite if used as support feat.

Endless or limitless is just straight up infinite of course. Pretty cut and dry. Bu default it would mean just that. Unless your verse decided to buttfuck you and endless is hyperbolic. But well same can be said for infinite or limitless. But generally all 3 words mean the same thing. Neither is better or worse than other.
Exactly and it is still a big discussion on how we use those terms, so I suggest creating a page that explains all those more deeply because in the dictionary, and generally they all mean the same, as for countless, you can't count it, neither you can measure it. Endless still means there is no end, and you still can't count it. Limitless has no limit, which also can't be measured nor counted. Infinite means there is no end and no limit, still can't be measured or counted. They all mean the same. I prefer having index on how we use those words correctly.

Well it shouldn't be. The definitions and usages are pretty cut and dry in fiction most of the time. So it doesn't need a page.
If any discussions are happening due to members giving their own personal interpretation deviating from common sense and context then that's not wiki's problem or responsibility. It solely rests on that member in such case.

Well it shouldn't be. The definitions and usages are pretty cut and dry in fiction most of the time. So it doesn't need a page.
If any discussions are happening due to members giving their own personal interpretation deviating from common sense and context then that's not wiki's problem or responsibility. It solely rests on that member in such case.
I am inclined to agree with this sentiment. It's mostly a member-interpretation problem and not a wiki one.

I am inclined to agree with this sentiment. It's mostly a member-interpretation problem and not a wiki one.
But if the wiki has no standards on how we treat those words, then how is it the member's fault?

But if the wiki has no standards on how we treat those words, then how is it the member's fault?
Why would we need to establish standards for words that are pretty clear cut with their definitions and any discussion about them stems solely from interpretations not lining up with common sense?

At that point I'd just argue that said discussions are literally bordering on semantics and needless nitpicking if the correct words are used with the correct context.

Why would we need to establish standards for words that are pretty clear cut with their definitions and any discussion about them stems solely from interpretations not lining up with common sense?

At that point I'd just argue that said discussions are literally bordering on semantics and needless nitpicking if the correct words are used with the correct context.
Pretty clear? No, they are mostly confusing and there were a lot of discussions about only those terms in some context, and some of them took pages to clarify. If wiki has no standards, then I can claim that Infinite is uncountably infinite instead of countably infinite.

Also
Limitless, Endless depends to the context, usually they are taked as Countless
"too many to be counted; very many." <--- that's Countless meaning

Infinite in our wiki is refered to Countably Infinite set

Immeansurable in our wiki is refered to Uncontably Infinite set

He mentioned wiki standards, and yet there are no pages for it. But we still go for these “unofficial standards”, this is why I am suggesting a “page” which clarifies each term and also gives examples of how we deal with them.

Pretty clear? No, they are mostly confusing and there were a lot of discussions about only those terms in some context, and some of them took pages to clarify. If wiki has no standards, then I can claim that Infinite is uncountably infinite instead of countably infinite.
Uh, no. You can't. Not like that anyway

Countably and uncountably are entirely different beasts that don't work with the premise of this thread and jump straight to aleph-levels of bullshittery.

Just read Gilver's initial response and you'll get your answers.

And the problem will continue to exist even if you make that page. Because it's not wiki problem. Its human problem.

Despite many terms explained on our wiki pages... people still confuse either because they didn't read it or didn't understand it good enough. And like Klol explained.. we are Vs Battle Wiki...not Wikitionary.
Its not our job to explain meanings of words which we have dictionaries for.
Especially if those same words can be used differently in context of different verses and situations... in which case every discussion involving those situations is unique.. thus making the existence of your standard page irrelevant.

And klol already explained about Alephs. You don't arbitrarily highball meanings just cuz you wish.

He mentioned wiki standards, and yet there are no pages for it. But we still go for these “unofficial standards”, this is why I am suggesting a “page” which clarifies each term and also gives examples of how we deal with them.
What do you mean unofficial standards? We literally just plunk out the definitions from wikipedia. That's as official as it gets.

Also, to quote manu_zarri

Limitless, Endless depends to the context, usually they are taked as Countless
"too many to be counted; very many." <--- that's Countless meaning
No, as Gilver said, Countless means something that cannot be counted by normal means, but this on its own does not disqualify being infinite, nor does it qualify being infinite, and requires more evidence, unlike the next two words that I am about to touch.

Limitless and Endless are textbook infinite. They literally mean having no end or limit as their main PRIMARY definition. Sure, it can mean being extremely large, but that's not the primary definition, that's a secondary definition, since infinity also cannot be counted but at least we know why it cannot be counted: BECAUSE IT GOES ON WITHOUT ANY END TO BEGIN WITH. And also no, Limitless and Endless are not taken as countless usually, not without extreme circumstances coming into play, most of the time they are accepted as being limitless due to their primary definition actually admitting the words to mean having no end or limit, and thus they have a higher standing of validity than countless does.

Infinite in our wiki is refered to Countably Infinite set

Immeansurable in our wiki is refered to Uncontably Infinite set
This is the part where I apply the "aleph levels of bullshittery" term. Like Gilver said, you can't arbitrarily highball meanings like this without extraordinarily concrete evidence just because you wish to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back