• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil Fruit Resistance to Power Mimicry CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminiteable

He/Him
Introduction:
Put simply Devil Fruits should get resistance to Power Mimicry. The Power Mimicry page specifically states:
It would be a No Limits Fallacy to assume someone with this ability can copy anything used against them; even if they can copy the functions of the ability, they may not be able to copy its full destructive power.
Which shows that there are some verses who cannot be affected by Power Mimicry. Devil Fruit abilities shouldn't be out of the picture.

Devil Fruit Cycle:
Devil Fruits are not part of the body of the person. They count as abilities independent to the user.

(Take this portion how you will) it's stated by Shanks that Devil Fruits are incarnations of Sea Devils.

This is justified by the fact that Devil Fruit abilities only exist in one person at a time.

Usopp on chapter 447 states this, and Oda in an SBS confirms it that he was telling the truth.
D: Excuse me!! May I pose a serious question to the typically-vulgar SBS?? In Volume 46, Usopp said that the same power doesn't exist twice. But this doesn't make sense with what you said in the Volume 45 SBS... If the Gomu Gomu no Mi was in a book of fruits, then Luffy HAD to have eaten at least the SECOND known example of the fruit! Now, most beautiful and intelligent Ei-chan, explain it all! ✩ P.N. Takafi

O: Very sharp of you. But I'm cool. I haven't made any mistakes. As a hint, let me rephrase what Usopp is saying. "The same powers don't exist twice AT THE SAME TIME". How's that? For more detail, you'll just have to wait for a certain professor to make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are... Eventually.
Please note that Oda said "I haven't made any mistakes" signifying that Oda was the one who said that from Usopp's view, so Oda was speaking through him, making Usopp a reliable source.
This is consistent in Chapter 703 after the timeskip, where it's stated that devil fruits reincarnate as well and that 2 people can't share an ability.

So it is impossible for more than 1 person to share a single devil fruit ability.

Branching off of Devil Fruits reincarnating, we see Smiley die and it's devil fruit goes into a separate plant (here and here), showing that devil fruits are independent to the user.

The Kage Kage no Mi:
The Kage Kage no Mi allows the user to remove the shadows of a person and place them into other people, granting them abilities and techniques that belonged to the owner of the shadow.

We see Brook refer to the shadow as a soul.

An example is Roronoa Zoro. His shadow was removed and placed into Jigoro, who could use his Ittoryu and Santoryu attacks. Same with Brook, who's soul was placed into Ryuma who could use his Soul Solid techniques.

We see Oars with Luffy's shadow, and although he has his fighting style, he doesn't have his Devil Fruit. Explained in Chapter 476 (here and here). This is the same with Moria after he takes the shadows from multiple devil fruit users (Robin and Luffy's shadows are in there), and he doesn't die from the side-effect of eating multiple devil fruits. This shows that abilities can be mimicked, but devil fruits cannot be.

Smile Fruits:
Devil Fruit abilities affect the user's DNA.

This is shown when CP0 explains how Dr. Vegapunk created the initial artificial devil fruit, by taking Kaido's DNA and giving it to a fruit.
The bloodline elements, also known as the lineage factor, is the OP equivalent of DNA.
It also gives certain frequencies/wavelengths (depending on the translation) to the user, which can be manipulated but not duplicated..

What can be hypothesized is that Devil Fruits invade the DNA, can be manipulated with the body and such, and when the user dies, they leave.

Please notice, it was stated that Vegapunk tried to mimic it and failed, showing that he couldn't successfully mimic devil fruits. He was able to recreate a devil fruit ability, but he wasn't able to directly copy it from the source, showing that you can't mimic devil fruits.

Potential Counter Arguments:

"But some people in One Piece were able to replicate Devil Fruits like Patrick Redfield."

Patrick Redfield is not canon. He goes directly against Oda's statements and he has no reason to be smarter than Vegapunk, who is stated to be the smartest man in the world.

"
This is an NLF, you're saying that people who can mimic unmimicable abilities can't copy devil fruits?"
Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. There are little to no cases where any ability outside of One Piece even work anything similar to Devil Fruits. Luffy's Devil Fruit affects his body, but it is not his ability. There is no reason for them working on someone else to mean that it can work on a devil fruit user.

Conclusion:
Devil Fruits should get Resistance to Power Mimicry.

"The same powers don't exist twice AT THE SAME TIME".

This is not evidence of Resistance to Power Mimicry. This just means there aren't two Gum-Gum fruits in the world.

We see Oars with Luffy's shadow, and although he has his fighting style, he doesn't have his Devil Fruit. Explained in Chapter 476 (here and here). This is the same with Moria after he takes the shadows from multiple devil fruit users (Robin and Luffy's shadows are in there), and he doesn't die from the side-effect of eating multiple devil fruits. This shows that abilities can be mimicked, but devil fruits cannot be.

That's just because Devil Fruits aren't in the soul.

And we have seen Brulee's Mirror-Mirror fruit copy Devil Fruit abilities in the verse.

The OP says resistance, not immunity, so if it’s like trying to directly copy the ability like Copycat (Pokémon), then it wouldn’t work, but replicas of the person are fair game.

The OP says resistance, not immunity, so if it’s like trying to directly copy the ability like Copycat (Pokémon), then it wouldn’t work, but replicas of the person are fair game.
But we don't assume other types of Power Mimicry are all powerful anyway.

If another type of Power Mimicry doesn't work on Devil Fruits, that'd be due to the limitations of that Mimicry, not an inherent Resistance unique to Devil Fruits.

Was this interview before or after the SMILEs?

It is pretty obvious only 1 of each DF/DS exists, but there is no reason that power they generate cannot be mimicked. See brulee.

Disagree with the proposed changes.

But we don't assume other types of Power Mimicry are all powerful anyway.

If another type of Power Mimicry doesn't work on Devil Fruits, that'd be due to the limitations of that Mimicry, not an inherent Resistance unique to Devil Fruits.
Agreed.

I guess this should be for the purpose of emphasizing what abilities can copy DFs and what can't (not listing verse by verse, but just listing how it can/can't be copied).

Was this interview before or after the SMILEs?
If you mean SBS, then before.
If you mean CP0, far after.

And if you're trying to question the validity of it, the topic was brought back up after Momonosuke's zoan form was shown, showing that it's consistent.
It is pretty obvious only 1 of each DF/DS exists, but there is no reason that power they generate cannot be mimicked. See brulee.
Brulee is not copying the ability, she is copying the person, which is why she doesn't just take people's powers. She has to become a complete replica. It's like Ditto from Pokemon.

The example that the power can't be replicated is from the Kage Kage example, how it copies abilities but it can't copy DFs, and they consistently say "you can't have the same DF, how did you do this" and things of that nature.

The example that the power can't be replicated is from the Kage Kage example, how it copies abilities but it can't copy DFs, and they consistently say "you can't have the same DF, how did you do this" and things of that nature.

It copies the fighter's skills, not their abilities.

Most forms of Power Mimicry tend to copy abilities, not skills, though there's always variations.

Since this is a case-by-case thing, I think we should just leave it at that and not apply a general Resistance to Power Mimicry.

Brulee is not copying the ability, she is copying the person, which is why she doesn't just take people's powers. She has to become a complete replica. It's like Ditto from Pokemon.

That's still a type of Power Mimicry she's using.

If we had a general power page for "Devil Fruits", like we do for Haki, we could list some facts about Devil Fruits like examples of which Power Mimicry could work and which examples shouldn't, in theory.

If we had a general power page for "Devil Fruits", like we do for Haki, we could list some facts about Devil Fruits like examples of which Power Mimicry could work and which examples shouldn't, in theory.

Here's my suggestion.

I stole this from here
Since they emphasize the different types of power Mimicry.

The ones that would work via what we see.
  • Attack Replication.
    • Case by Case Basis
    • If they are copying the ability from the source (the devil fruit), it wouldn't work.
    • If not, it would work.
  • Illusory Power Replication:
    • They're not actually copying the ability, they're just making an illusion of it (shown that it works via Brulee).
The ones that don't would work via what we see.
  • Deceased Power Replication
    • The spirit of the Devil Fruit has already moved to a new host, which means that the ability does not reside with them anymore.
  • Empathic Mimicry:
    • Takes the powers of the person with emotions. Devil Fruits don't have emotions.
  • Engineering Mimicry:
    • Vegapunk already showed that it's impossible.
  • Haemopotent Replication:
    • Look above.
  • Intuitive Replication
    • Trying to understand the basis of Devil Fruits means that you would have to replicate the devil fruit, which wouldn't work.
  • Power Replication Field:
    • Trying to directly copy the ability from the source wouldn't work, since you can't replicate the ability.

I'll try, but I'm not sure if relying on Superpower Wiki's list of Power Mimicry variations is best. But I don't know how we'd cover listing which types are valid anyway.

And on second thoughts I'm not sure whether listing these makes sense since this is more of a verse equalization issue than anything.

Okay. Never mind then. Should we close this thread?

Probably.

I think this issue is ultimately just something we need to keep in mind for verse equalization scenarios.

Okay. Are other staff members here fine with if we close this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back