• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Detective Pikachu Mewtwo/Pikachu downgrade

Thunderbolt, Electro Ball and Volt Tackle are the 3 moves listed on his profile. This is something literally any Pikachu can have, and it toally isn't only his.

Technically, Volt Tackle isn't that common a move. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Volt_Tackle_(move)#Learnset

From Emerald onwards, a Pichu where either parent held a Light Ball will know Volt Tackle. In Generation 7, move tutors are needed for it. Otherwise, it's the move of a gift Pikachu in Pokemon Battle Revolution, via the Pokewalker, or an Event Move.

So yes, there could be any number of Pikachu that know Volt Tackle, but I'm not sure what circumstances easiest allow the Pikachu Harry was in the body of to know Volt Tackle.

Presumably, it'd have to be a Pikachu born as a Pichu, born to parents where one held a Light Ball.

And there may not be many ways to relearn it if it's forgotten after being born with it.

A lot of that is not really important, since any number of Pikachu can have Volt Tackle and we've seen quite a few of them across media beyond just Ash. Volt Tackle may be uncommon, but it's still a regular move a Pikachu can have.

I mean, I suppose in theory, it's possible all of those Pikachu, the one Harry entered the body of, knew Volt Tackle as a result of one of a parent Pikachu (Or Raichu) holding a Light Ball, given wild Pikachu can have an LB as a held item. (Or found a tutor or something.)

I'm not sure how many individuals in media other than the games have how they had Volt Tackle be made evident to the audience, but I suppose there's at least one plausible way for all individuals without a specified explanation.

(How Harry remembered the move, I don't know. I would've thought he wouldn't know how, due to being an amnesiac. Unless he found the Detective Pikachu setting's equivalent of a tutor or a move relearner that works for a move first learned at birth, in an evolution prior to what the Pokemon was when Harry entered its body.)

Not to mention, Harry's not even a trainer. Least not anymore. His main stichk in the story is being a detective instead of a battler, so we don't have anything that even suggests his pikachu is even a well trained one in the first place.

Oh yes. In the movie Detective Pikachu only couldn't hurt him because he couldn't use any moves at the time.

So your solution to this issue is scaling Pikachu to 7-A for fighting a Charizard. Got it.

Which is why I'm saying the profile is absolutely wrong, since a Pikachu can't possibly be Wall level, that's below even a Pichu.

Back