• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Darkness looms over a 2-headed ogre (The Darkness vs Ettin)

Ngl, I wasn't expecting to see the Darkness here anytime soon.

As for the matchup, from what I'm seeing on Ettin's profile, I'm not sure it has any way of permanently incapacitating the Darkness. Likewise with the Darkness, seeing as most of its hax seems to be resisted here. Though tbh, the Darkness does seem to have a win-con here, I guess, with air manipulation (suffocation) if the Ettin has a need to breathe. If not, then it's probably going to be a stalemate.

As for the matchup, from what I'm seeing on Ettin's profile, I'm not sure it has any way of permanently incapacitating the Darkness. Likewise with the Darkness, seeing as most of its hax seems to be resisted here. Though tbh, the Darkness does seem to have a win-con here, I guess, with air manipulation (suffocation) if the Ettin has a need to breathe. If not, then it's probably going to be a stalemate.
Not even the AE hitting NPI?

Now that I actually look at the D&D threads, these don't all make me want to leap from a building. These are good, Pepper.

In any case, that suffocation would absolutely work, and it may incapacitate the Ettin first if it's quick enough. Ettin's are quite stupid and are unlikely to put together that the suffocation would stop if they killed the miner, and may just allow themselves to die in this way.

Also, while I'm not familiar with the magic of the Spirit Talker, just having magic doesn't make them able to smack abstract enemies with a sword. Only magic can interact- so their hax would work, but if their clubs aren't enchanted (it doesn't seem like they are) then the Ettin would need to rely on magic alone- more specifically their summons.

In my mind, this match would really rely on 1. the speed of suffocation/whether that's their opening move, and 2. whether the summoning of demons is the Ettin's opening move. If yes to both and the speed of the suffocation is of reasonable time, it comes down to the activation time for both.

Likely so for the ogre, I don't know about the miners.

I recall, aren't their attacks both gesture based?
The suffocation from the Darkness is gesture based.

In my mind, this match would really rely on 1. the speed of suffocation/whether that's their opening move
The one time they did actively to harm someone on-screen, that was their go-to opening move, so yes.

I suppose the Darkness does have more of a chance than I initially gave it credit for. To further add to Mr.Bambu's point, does the Ettin have a way of knowing that the miners that it's fighting are simply mere avatars of the Darkness, and if so, does it have a way of instantly reaching it's source in order to affect it? I guess in the time that it would take it to figure this out, and between the dozens of miners that it's going to be facing at the same time, the Darkness should be able to successfully incapacitate the Ettin using suffocation.

Aye, it does.

It ought to be able to put down one of them, but if it's choking to death I really strongly doubt it would manage while suffocating.

So, tbh, I vote for the Darkness.

Alright, so finding the Ettin used its luckily from 4e which gives a standard tactic
Ettin Spirit-Talker Tactics

Round after round, the ettin spirit-talker uses its first turn to invoke a curse of shattered bone, and then uses its second turn to club the cursed target. The creature uses spirit call on foes that try to surround and flank it.
For the abilites
Curse of Shattered Bone (standard; at-will) Ranged 10; +15 vs. Will; the next time the spirit talker successfully hits the target with a melee attack, the attack is treated as a critical hit and deals an extra 1d12 damage. The curse lasts until the end of the ettin spirit talker’s next turn.
Spirit Call (standard; recharge ⚄ ⚅ ) ✦ Necrotic The ettin spirit-talker initiates a howling chant to demonic spirits, filling the area with swirling spectral forms: close burst 5; +15 vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + 6 necrotic damage, and the target slides 3 squares.
So against the Darkness, due to its habit of summoning a bunch of miners, the Ettin will likely use Spirt Call as often as possible. The main issue is that the Ettin just doesn't have a way to deal with the avatars permanently as its only magic damage is with Spirit Call, which is a AoE burst attack the Ettin only has a limited number of uses with.

And just to get this concluded

********* Blonde FRA (If you know, you know)

And that's grace, thank you everyone

{Also in case you're wondering, this is allowed based on this thread}

Back