• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
So this has always been on my mind and recently it was asked in the Zeref vs Dani match if Zeref killed her in human form would that kill Dani herself?. I decided to make a thread discussing this since this is something I wanted to talk about and it will effect matches that revolve around characters killing Danny or any half ghost in human form to beat their ghost half.

Ghost Physiology
For those unaware I've already created a blog going into detail about what ghosts in Danny Phantom are.

To give the short version of it, the form you see a ghost take is manifestation of their ectoplasmic energy and their consciousness. They all have a central core which is the consciousness and make forms for themselves which they use to interact with everything.

Standardly, a ghost is Non-Corporeal but that can make themselves tangible which is what they need to do in order to interact with real world objects. There basically on a separate plane of existence. They can even give themselves a skeleton structure and organs but said things are all still just made of ectoplasm aka they are fake.

Ghosts are naturally dead as I explained in my blog, some never where alive to begin with and have always resided in the Ghost Zone. Others are the spirits of actual being (animals and humans) who have died. Regardless of the two, they share the same physiology and weaknesses.

Half Ghosts

Human Form
Half Ghosts are humans who have been exposed to a massive amount of ectoplasmic energy which altered their DNA with ectoplasmic energy on a molecular level. This is why Danny and Vlad even in human form are effect by Anti-Ghost Tech but not to a massive extent. They also are unaffected by Blood Blossoms which are supernatural flowers that cause pain to ghosts but while in human form half ghosts are unaffected.

In human form, a half ghost can still use there ghost powers but not all of them. Danny can walk through walls, disappear and fly, he can turn intangible, shot ghost rays, overshadow others and what not.

Ghost Form
While half ghosts in human have ectoplasmic DNA, they do not have the physiology of a ghost. However they do have the ability to "Go Ghost" which allows them to transform into a ghost.

While in ghost form, Danny has the exact same physiology as a ghost, he has all the standard abilities and weaknesses a ghost has via their physiology which includes full blown body control and Regenerationn. His form is made up of nothing but ectoplasm and like other ghosts, he able to give himself a skeleton and what not.

Connection
Now for what I we are hear for. "If Danny is killed in his human form, will his ghost for die too or not?."

Honestly... It shouldn't. While the to are considered one in the same, Phantom is not bound to the life of Fenton to that degree. And yes, I will elaborate.

Separation
We have seen Danny have his ghost half split from him on multiple occasions and it never results in his death which shows the two can survive without the other. Now remember that Danny's DNA is effect as well because the ectoplasm is fused with him on a molecular level so even when his very molecules are ripped in half he doesn't die.

In the episode "What You Want" we see the Fenton Dream Catcher which expunges all things ghostly. When Danny Phantom flew through it by accident it split his ghost half from his human half completely. Both Danny's then look at each other and Phantom quickly flew back into Fenton's body and fused back with him. He then sticks his hand through the Dream Catcher and Phantom's arm gets separated until he pulls it back.

What You Want 5:14 to 6:01

In the episode "Identity Crisis" Danny gets tired of his normal life and superhero life clashing so he decides to use the Dream Catcher to split himself in two. This then does what it did before, Phantom and Fenton get split from each other. Only this time each have their own personality. Fenton is laid back and uncaring while Phantom is heroic and serious. The two then stay separate for too long and can't completely fuse back together.

In the episode "The Ultimate Enemy" Vlad removes Danny's ghost half from his human self using the ghost gauntlets. In said moment we even see that the gauntlets leave stab wounds in Phantom but human Danny was unharmed.

The Ultimate Enemy 31:29 to 31:50

These are the three main times Danny's halves were split and neither died from it. Yes, they are connected but not to a degree like Gogeta and Vegito from Dragon Ball. To put it as simple as possible, Danny is basically being possessed on a level greater than normal possession but not to the point where one cannot live without the other.

Even in his human form Danny has his Ghost Sense which comes from his ghost half's central core. This proves that Phantom is not gone while Danny is in human form otherwise the ghost sense would not activate until Danny transforms.

Possession
Possession in Danny Phantom is strong the ghost acts like an infection, taking over the body (molecular level), mind and soul. However damage done to one isn't passed on to the other from what is shown.

In the episode "What You Want" Paulina wishes she was as popular as a movie character. Desiree makes this wish come true and Paulina gets a ghost side which is Sayonara Pussycat. While together Paulina's physical appearance changed. Danny then fires a ghost ray that goes through Paulina's forehead but only removes Sayonara from her body and neither got harmed from the split.

In the episode "Urban Jungle" Undergrowth uses the Mind Vine to take over everyone's mind. He fills there bodies with his ectoplasmic energy which was the case with Undergrowth Sam. However, when Undergrowth got destroyed, all his plants he created rotted away and died but Sam and the others didn't die, only the part of Undergrowth that was in them died.

In the episode "Doctors Disorders" A ghost bug infects students at Danny's school and gives them ghost powers like Danny. Jazz in particular couldn't control he physiology to the point where even in human form she could only maintain her head. The rest of her body was nothing but ectoplasm. When the ghost bug was removed along with her ghost powers Jazz did not die, her body instantly reverted back to solid form.

Personality
While Phantom and Fenton seem to have the same personality it is shown when he split himself in "Identity Crisis" they had two different ones. When Vlad split Danny's form's apart, they had different personalities.

One could argue this was a result of the gauntlets but when Vlad explains to Danny that after 10 years without ghost powers changed him and that his ghost half's evil corrupted Danny's ghost half. This means their ghost halves have their own personality at least to some extent. However while together it is a mix.

My Thoughts
As I said, no, I don't think Danny Phantom would die if you killed Danny Fenton and vice versa. They are not linked to such a degree, they have been split multiple times and neither have died, consistently the damage of one does not transfer to the other which is supported by other Possessions in the series. Phantom's central core still resides even though Danny is in human form and they have their own personality when split. If Phantom was Fenton completely then the core and by law his Ghost Sense would not go off until

The only thing that would support a half ghosts ghost form dying is the fact that his energy is connected to Danny's stamina. However when Danny Phantom runs out of energy, he intently turns back into Danny Fenton. In the episode "Teacher of the Year" Danny enters his computer and merges with his videogame OC and at the end of the episode he gets shot by a laser and gets deleted. However human Danny gets ejected out of the computer but if their life line was connected, that would have killed human Danny as well.

Lastly, how on earth would Phantom die if Fenton was killed when the former is already dead!. Ghosts are classified as dead beings so killing Danny's human side should not "kill" his ghost side since the other isn't alive and has shown capable of surviving even when removed from the other. In the episode "Reality Trip" The Reality Gauntlet transforms three humans into ghost supervillains and they outright get destroyed by a blast but the humans still lived.

Bottom line, Danny Fenton and Danny Phantom are connected to some degree and do to this connection they share stamina. But they are not linked to a degree where if either were "killed/destroyed" the other would suffer the same fate. It has been shown that one does not need the other to survive even when removed and we've seen multiple times that the damage one gets doesn't pass over to the other as shown with other possessed beings in the series.

Arguments
1.) Vlad was going to die from the Ecto Acne disease when it came back.

Me: Yes, Vlad Masters would die, nothing suggested his ghost half Vlad Plasmius would suffer the same fate.

2.) Danny Phantom is inconsistent, we've seen Danny Phantom get bruised and it pass back to Danny Fenton.

Me: Yup, I can't deny that the show is inconsistent. However consistently we have seen no damage transfer, only thing consistent is fatigued from stamina lose.

• Danny Phantom getting deleted by a laser in "Teacher of the Year" but Danny Fenton was unharmed and lived.
Teacher of the Year 19:29 to 19:35

• Ghost supervillains getting blasted and destroyed in "Reality Trip" but their human forms were still in tact.
Reality Trip 31:12 to 31:27

• Undergrowth connecting the Mind Vine to Amity Parks residents and infecting Sam in "Urban Jungle" but when he's destroyed and everything rots away the people physically connected with their bodies merged with his ectoplasm don't die and are unaffected.
Urban Jungle 18:22 to 18:40

• Jazz losing everything but her head in "Doctors Disorders" but when her powers are removed suddenly her body returns and she didn't die.
Doctors Disorders 17:58 to 18:11

• In the same episode as the one above, Danny was about to beat up a transformed Dash but as soon as the ghost form Dash took on reverted back to human Dash Danny stopped himself. If the damaged carried over, Danny wouldn't have attempted to beat ghost Dash up at all because human Dash would have also been harmed.
  • Danny has no issue wailing on several possessed humans in "Public Enemies" while the ghosts controlling them were visually in control because the humans won't be taking any damage. If the damage they took would transfer back to the humans then Danny wouldn't have even fought them as shown with Dash.
  • Danny shots a ghost ray that goes clean through a Paulina's head in "What You Want" and only effecting Sayonara Pussycat but Paulina was unharmed. If damage was a thing, Paulina would have a freaking hole in her head!.
What You Want 8:05 to 8:30

• Vlad uses the Ghost Gauntlets to pull out Danny's ghost half in "The Ultimate Enemy" which left stab wounds in ghost Danny but no damage on human Danny.
3.) It was never stated he wouldn't die so everything you've said in this thread is an assumption.

Me: Yes, It was never stated Danny Phantom wouldn't die if Danny Fenton was killed. However it was never stated otherwise either. I am using evidence from the series itself to support my claim. Something doesn't half to be said when it is shown to you.

Conclusion
If this is accepted I think a note should be put on Danny, Vlad and Dani's profile explaining it.

Note: While "insert name here" ghost half is connected to his/her human half to a degree, it has been shown multiple that one does not need the other in order to survive and one will not share the same fate if the other is "killed/destroyed".

Thoughts?.

Confused, this sounds a lot like theory crafting based off a quick read.

Are you suggesting that although they're the same being the variants are separated from their ghost forms? I suppose it's possible kind of like Ichigo when he turns into a Shinigami and leave his human body behind.

I guess you could call it a theory but it's supported by canon stuff in the series.

Yes, I'm saying that Danny Fenton and Phantom are the same person but are not dependent on each other for survival.

Danny is a human being that gets exposed to a large amount of ectoplasmic energy which alters his DNA. This is why many Anti-Ghost devices lock on to him. The Ghost Portal accident didn't just do that though, it gave Danny a ghost half.

And as I explained above, the two can be separated and one does not need the other to survive. The destruction of one does not effect the other, otherwise when Danny erased his ghost half in Phantom Planet Danny would have died.

This is why I want to add a note stating that even if you kill/destroy one, it won't effect the other.

So basically, if Danny Fenton dies, what happens is simply him permanently becoming Danny Phantom and getting a few new powers/

@DarkDragonMedeus

Basically, Yeah. His ghost half will still exist even though the human side is gone.

So should a footnote be added then, or is it too speculative or irrelevant?

I think the note is best. I asked others too comment but I don't know if they will comment in time.

I don't think it's irrelevant since people do think that when Danny Phantom transforms back into Danny Fenton and kill him that would destroy his ghost half.

Perhaps input from at least one more staff member would be good, but I agree that before tomorrow begins it should be concluded.

Yes, we likely only have 5 hours before only staff can edit the wiki.

If no one responds within perhaps the next few hours, I'd say it's fine to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back