• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cynthia vs Raihan

Battle between the champion and the champion wannabe

Strongest keys used. Cynthia can Mega Evolve. Takes place in a random field with dynamax energy. Each have 6 pokemon max

Raihan:
Cynthia: 1

Leon :

Last edited:
Uh, are you seriously gonna give Raihan the advantage of dynamaxing?

Also, "all keys and pokemon used" makes no sense, a Pokèmon team has to be 6 or less

I mean, you can free the characters from the rules of a Pokémon battle, but in that case Cynthia has 10 Pokémon and Raihan 7 (I believe that in character they would still perform a 1v1 or 2v2 battle, but the number of Pokémon can still be different).

Dynamax can technically be allowed, atm on the wiki it is considered on par with the mega evolution, and they have the equipment to trigger only their respective transformation.

And yes, all keys doesn't mean anything, and their Pokémon team is also locked to each key, they can't go all out anyway.

I mean, you can free the characters from the rules of a Pokémon battle, but in that case Cynthia has 10 Pokémon and Raihan 7 (I believe that in character they would still perform a 1v1 or 2v2 battle, but the number of Pokémon can still be different).

Dynamax can technically be allowed, atm on the wiki it is considered on par with the mega evolution, and they have the equipment to trigger only their respective transformation.

And yes, all keys doesn't mean anything, and their Pokémon team is also locked to each key, they can't go all out anyway.
Ok I edited it, didn't realise it would be this chaotic

We have a problem with keys, because Cynthia doesn't have Mega Evolution before S&M, but in that game she has only 5 Pokémon.

I see that dynamax is already prevented by thre battle taking place in a normal field, we can either use a key with which Cynthis has 6 Pokémon but not mega evo, or use her Battle Tree one, with only 5 Pokémon and the mega evo, to try finding a way to balance the match.

I don't really know Gen 8 too well so I'll leave finding a good balance to yall

It doesn't really depend on the gen, it's more about deciding if the match should be "6 Pokèmon vs 5 Mons, one of which has the Mega" or "6 Mons vs 6 Mons"

I'm dumb, I never noticed that Raihan doesn't actually have 6 Pokémon, he always has 5 of them.

Then I think it's fair to put Dynamax vs Mega evo (as, by vs rules, we can't restrict mega evo), and currently the power boost granted is considered as similar.

The teams then should be:

Raihan: Torkoal, Goodra, Turtonator, Flygon and Duraludon. He can Dynamax on of them, but in-character he uses it for Duraludon, who has its Gigamax form.

Cynthia: Milotic, Spiritomb, Garchomp, Lucario and Togekiss. The Pokémon able to mega evolve are Lucario and Garchomp, but only one of them do it.

Look here for more info about Cynthia's Pokémon's moves and items and here for Raihan's (first tournament)

Raihan usually starts with Torkoal, while Cynthia doesn't have a set first Pokémon in the battle tree, by it seems she never starts with Garchomp or Lucario, but I can't confirm it.

Alright, just one thing, how big of a boost is it? Would they stomp previously comparable Pokèmon, and do they get a speed boost? Is Dynamax time limit a game mechanic or is it legit? Finally, do they keep their previous abilities? It doesn't make sense to me but I've seen it treated that way

Gigamax mons don't stomp previous forms, in-game it is said that it's difficult for a normal Pokémon to go against a Dynamax one, but not impossible. The boosts granted by the Dynamax are an HP boost and the moves are stronger and have additional effects. The time limit seems to be legit when used inside a stadium or other surface places with Dynamax energy, as only Pokémon inside dens and underground locations filled with energy can last forever (and harness some additional effects). Dynamax mons keep their previous abilities.

Mega evolution is kinda the same, they shouldn't stomp anyone. It boosts all stats but HP. Technically Pokémon lose their previous abilities and get another one, I would consider it that way.

Last edited:
Alright I am absolutely not gonna account for all the variables so I'm just gonna use the latter version of every Pokèmon with their first ability, and say she starts with Spiritomb like she did in the original game, hopefully that's fine.

First fight is Spiritomb vs Torkoal. I'm immediately gonna point out Cynthia has a huge advantage because all of her Pokèmon have items while Raihan's don't. Anyway, Torkoal is tanky and cannot be affected by Will-O-Wisp, but Spiritomb is tanky and has a very annoying combo of Substitute and Pain Split, so both can win here. I'll give the edge to Spiritomb, cause eventually it's gonna reach low HP activating the Custap Berry, and there it can Pain Split to heal itself and follow that up with a Sucker Punch since Torkoal has no non-attacks.

Raihan doesn't have any Fairy-type moves, so he'll likely send out Turtonator to make use of Torkoal's Drought. With it, it can probably one-shot the weakened Spiritomb, unless the latter gets a Pain Split off in which case they're even again, but even then I do think Turtonator can one-shot from there. So let's just say it either got Sucker Punched or Pain Split and has taken a bit of damage.

Cynthia does know what Turtonator is since this is her Gen VII team. So she gambles and pulls out Lucario, who has Stone Edge. Now, while it is true he will suffer great damage from Turtonator's fire type attacks, it holds a Weakness Policy and Lucario have incredible stamina, so between that and Extreme Speed it's gonna... I mean, it might stomp a few more Pokèmon before being put down.

Anything I'm missing so far?

Last edited:
Garchomp may be an alternative to Lucario, as it resists fire, but gets damage from Turto's dragon pulse.
I honestly don't know if we should consider Cynthia's mons as having both their possible items.

I mean, that's not possible in gameplay, that's not what happens in her fights and it makes the gap even more unfair- honestly I doubt Raihan can take this, one set of items is already huge. As for Garchomp she tends to send it out last especially when Mega

Gameplay limitations shouldn't be always considered, like moves, it's reasonable to say that Pokémon can learn all of them.

Trainers suffer from this limitation just because we go with they demonstrated to have, and giving them more would be an assumption and guess work, but this case is weird and Raihan lacks a lot of stuff.

I mean at that point I'm just gonna say Cynthia wins, her Pokèmon have way more moves and multiple items which just give her so many advantages.

Thing about Raihan is that he gives a challenge to Leon who is one of the strongest trainers in the entire verse, so he might stomp due to that. But her garchomp and other mons might be too durable

I seriously doubt the difference is big enough that superior experience and strategy won't be able to counter it, especially with Lucario's Weakness Policy

Back