• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Crushing Skulls Downgrade

So crushing skulls on this wiki is a feat classified at 30KJ to 100KJ of energy. This was calculated by dividing the mass of a skull, by the density of bone, and multiplied by the shear and compressive strength respectively. The thing is, this implies that the skull is a cube of solid bone, rather than the skulls we know and hate. The thing is, we know how much force is required to destroy a human skull. According to the Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, a skull requires 2,300 Newton’s before experiencing “extreme failure.” The height of a skull is 21.6 cm. F*d = W or 2,300*0.216 = 496.8 Joules (Street level). Of course, there is also this study that has the average force at 3,492 Newton’s. That’s 754 Joules (Street level).

TLDR: Skull crushing should be downgraded from (9-B) to either of the two (9-C) values.

That really doesn't explain how human stomps into curb sides can't even dent human skulls even when stomping them. Hell, even champion boxers with their 1600 J punches can't do much to skulls other than knockouts. And I'm definitely sure humans can generate a lot more force with their stomps into the ground than that value.

Last edited:
I unfortunately don’t really have an answer to that. Both studies show that the force required is below the average force of a boxers punch. i got the sources from here, and it also shows a source that it requires only 16lbs to cause a small fracture. I’m really unsure why boxers are incapable of harming the skull, other than maybe protective gear. Although there was a case of a boxer breaking a skull recently, being Fallon Fox breaking he opponents skull, so I’m Not sure.

I unfortunately don’t really have an answer to that. Both studies show that the force required is below the average force of a boxers punch. i got the sources from here, and it also shows a source that it requires only 16lbs to cause a small fracture. I’m really unsure why boxers are incapable of harming the skull, other than maybe protective gear. Although there was a case of a boxer breaking a skull recently, being Fallon Fox breaking he opponents skull, so I’m Not sure.
Breaking =/= completely shattering a skull into several dozens of fragments or reducing it to dust particles tho.

And boxers don't wear protective headgear in official matches. Neither do MMA fighters. And even with or without gloves they really can't do much to a skull other than fractures but it's still a far cry from Mountain-ing it.

Even by kneecapping a weaker version of the skull, pretty much nothing.

Also IIRC not all skulls are the same either, some vary wildly in bone thickness depending on person and body type.

Last edited:
I see your point, though I still don’t really believe that it takes a minimum of 30,000 joules to break the skull when irl studies found the results to be much lower. Though the point about the kneecap is inconsistent, as a flying knee was capable of dealing considerable damage to a human skull. though it,s like 3AM for me, so I’mma wait and what others have to say.
Source:

I see your point, though I still don’t really believe that it takes a minimum of 30,000 joules to break the skull when irl studies found the results to be much lower. Though the point about the kneecap is inconsistent, as a flying knee was capable of dealing considerable damage to a human skull. though it,s like 3AM for me, so I’mma wait and what others have to say.
Source:

What type of injury was it? What part of it was broken? Because IIRC, some parts of the front of the skull are weak compared to the rest of the stronger bones a little bit above and to the sides.

Again, it's still a far cry from actually shattering the skull like glass or reducing it to dust.

I believe I saw a similar injury in the other kneecapping video of a zombie skull (Less pronounced but still, normal kneecap and flying kneecap are different), but it's still nowhere near truly shattering a skull, and I'm definitely sure that flying kneecap dealt more damage than the 400 J you calculated required to smash a skull.

So yeah, 400-700 J for shattering the entire skull is definitely not accurate, especially when you need actual clubs or weapons to be able to do any serious damage.

I'd reckon it's lower than 30 kJ but definitely higher than 1-2 kJ.

Of course, there is also this study that has the average force at 3,492 Newton’s. That’s 754 Joules (Street level).
Yeah uh this is for crushing of already-fractured skulls and it involves cracking the skull at the temporal region where it is the weakest and it unfortunately isn't for catastrophic failure, I was told on Wokistan's thread by Katboi.

These two articles (Second article is locked behind a paywall, so here's archive version) also say that to even fracture a skull at its weakest points would require forces in excess of 1100 lbs, but even this does not account for complete catastrophic failure.

Alternatively, the second article states that an adult human skull can withstand 6.5 GPa of pressure before failing.

Also, once you get the lb force value, you need to convert it to pascals, then multiply the pascal value with the impact area in meters square to get the newton value, then you must multiply the newton value with the distance travelled (In this case the height of the skull).

Last edited:
Back