• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cradle Series Discussion Thread

AahX3jX.png

A thread for the purpose of discussion anything and everything to do with Will Wights Cradle Series as well as any other works which also occupy the wider "Willverse"(Travellers Gate & Elder Empire).

Indeed. The Crt for the verse addition is still up but isn't moving at a relatively fast rate. I'm currently rereading some of the books at the moment
I saw the other thread

Should ShadowWhoWalks and Obber be tagged on this one so they are aware that it exists ?

Has anyone read the other books in the "Willverse?" They take place on different Iterations, but it might be cool to have a big verse page for all of them, and then smaller verse pages for each individual series.

I've finished the first travelers gate book and I'm about to start the second. I've heard elder empire is written in a somewhat confusing way but I don't have enough details to fully confirm how exactly it is weirdly written.

At a lowball (3 miles in 1 second), that would be Hypersonic+, which is well above the Supersonic+ they are currently at. Do you know the exact wording of the feat? Do you know of any other good speed feats? I had a hard time finding good ones for the Monarchs, so right now they are simply scaled to a Bleeding Phoenix calc.

Do you know the exact wording of the feat?
This is the statement
Yerin’s spirit crawled. In the instant she’d taken her perception off the dragon, the woman had covered miles
(Ghostwater, Chapter 16)

Do you know of any other good speed feats
One that I've been considering is Yerin uncrowned tournament feat of dodging lightning.

She fights Calan archer and he uses a lightning ruler technique(agitating clouds and basically creating a natural storm):
Calan released his Harbinger of the Storm. Everywhere the Weeping Dragon flew, a storm followed, as it agitated the water, wind, and lightning aura for miles around.
This technique had been modeled on that one, and it allowed Stormcallers to slowly dominate a battlefield. Dark clouds gathered overhead, merging with the clouds the arena already contained.
Rain fell, and lightning cracked down to the sand. The storm was self-sustaining, and as time went on, it would grow more violent and powerful until it peaked. There was no stopping it now.
Calan then sets her as the target for the lightning while also sending 2 other attacks
Simultaneously, he brought his rings back around for another pass, directed the storm aura to target Yerin, and began preparing a Striker technique
(Wintertsteel, Chapter 16)
Which she dodges
Calan hurled the dragon of storm madra, and it twisted through the air, a serpent made from gold-and-blue lightning. At the same time, his Jadeclaw Rings fell on Yerin and lightning flashed from the cloud above.
Yerin’s eyes opened.
Blood spurted from Calan’s neck.
His Jadeclaw Rings exploded backwards again, the lightning struck the sand, and her madra-clad sword clashed with the dragon. She clearly had to exert herself to destroy his technique, but he was too busy pressuring his artery to throw another one.
(Wintertsteel Chapter 16)

So what are your thoughts on the above.

Like @ShadowWhoWalks said in the original thread even if we use the absolute bare minimum lowball calc for Sophara's as a Golds feat:
Yerin’s spirit crawled. In the instant she’d taken her perception off the dragon, the woman had covered miles
  • Using a minimum distance = 2 miles
  • minimum timeframe = 1 second
2miles/1second = 7200 mph which is approximately Mach 9.4
So even with the lowest possible approximation for Sophara's feat she is much faster that where we have even Underlords right now so I think starting from there we can start scaleing based on that and the Lightning feat above.

That feat is definitely useable, so that should definitely replace the current Underlord feat. The Lightning ones I'm not sure about, as I know that the wiki is pretty strict with what counts as lightning. I think its good, but I'm not certain. We may have to ask a mod.

Sure you can go ahead and ask a mod about the Lightning things. The main argument for why it's natural lightning is basically the fact that it's a "ruler technique" which like all others use aura to directly control nature & natural elements present rather than reproduce them through supernatural means:

IElACil.png

he Lightning ones I'm not sure about, as I know that the wiki is pretty strict with what counts as lightning.
On further inspection it seems the Lightning fits one of the Wikis criteria for being considered real lightning by being cloud to ground lightning.

All Calan is doing is basically agitating lightning, water & wind aura which causes a self sustaining(meaning no further impute from him beyond designating a target) stormclouds that grows in magnitude overtime.

Following.

If the lightning attack is coming from clouds (if it isn't, this requires more scrutiny and evidence) it can be assumed to be at the speed of real life cloud-to-ground lightning. So the Calen/Yerin feat should be usable.

I've read Traveler's Gate a few years ago, though I only vaguely remember the broad strokes. A good feat I recall is: The speed boost ability of the House of Blades is able to make raindrops appear motionless in multiple scenes. Will said that Simon is True Gold level without a mask, and that the Incarnations and Simon with a mask are Underlord level, so we can cross scale if we make Traveller's Gate profiles, and we can make calcs based on the snail speed rain feat apply to Cradle as well.
Also, there are short stories written by Will here; they include Northstrider and the Emperor stomping Traveler's Gate Incarnations in death matches. The growls of an Incarnation cause earthquakes which can be a supporting feat, and there is mention that a striker binding empowered by a Monarch can drill through the crust of a planet which can be a supporting Mountain Levelish feat.

I am at Bloodline for Cradle.
So this year should be the final book for Cradle and the start of a new series. The new series will be:
Soft sci-fi fantasy, with wizards who use wands, space ships, and dragons that hatch from stars. The phrase "plasma bolts" is used a lot as well.
An iteration mentioned in Reaper apparently has a dragon sleeping within a star, so it seems likely that the new series takes place in that same iteration.

The Traveler's Gate cross-scaling sounds good. Idk if statuing raindrops is better than lightning timing, but it would be a good supporting feat regardless. If you are knowledgeable about that series, do you want to make profiles for it? I haven't read them yet. If the short stories are canon then I suppose they can be used as well, although the Monarchs are already Continent level so I'm not sure if there are useable feats (The Northstrider battle one was really funny though).

The rain feat is a solid Hypersonic+, so it would be a supporting feat.
Can work on the TG profiles once we are mostly done with Cradle and have time for a proper reread, though I am tempted to wait patiently for the sequel trilogy to TG.

The third Traveler's Gate Chronicles book has has a reaction feat to cloud-to-ground lightning:
She stepped through, and had only an instant to observe the landscape—a flat, cracked wasteland of yellow sand stretching as far as she could see, beneath an overcast sky—before something hit her ribs like a kick from a horse. She tumbled backwards, caught a glimpse of a blinding flash in the sky, heard thunder loud enough to tear her ears apart, and then she was slamming into the unyielding ground. Her breath whooshed out of her, and she gasped for air, clawing for the weapon she had dropped.

“Whew,” Helene said, grinning into Leah’s face from two inches away. “Close one.”

It all came together: Helene had tackled Leah out of the way. Of what? Leah rolled to one side to see a smoking black scorch mark on the sand for an instant before the wind whisked the char away, leaving clean sand in its wake.

“Surely that would have missed me,” Leah said. The bolt looked like it would have hit several paces off the mark.

“Lightning works a bit different here than it does in the other world,” Helene said, pushing herself to her feet. “But it still carries along the ground. It doesn’t have to hit you straight on. Standing too close still gets you.”

We have a cover for the next series and its release date:
plasmaboltsfast.png
image.png

Jk. For real now:
the_captain_ebook_cover.jpg

Coming April 4th.
I think we should try to get the main profiles and calcs for Cradle done before then.

Also, the cover for Waybound which will be released sometime afterwards:
u8hvm4hlvol91.jpg

Will recently posted the covers for his books without text on his Instagram/Facebook.

Tbh, if its that close we might actually want to wait until the whole series is done. It will take time for the calcs to be done anyway, and there will probably (hopefully) be new feats. Like still work on them and get them ready, but refrain from posting them because Waybound will come with big changes.

Sounds good to me.

More news just dropped.

The synopsis for the Last Horizon is released, and it confirms that alternative timelines are fully realized universes:
“To survive in this galaxy, you need a wand in one hand and a gun in the other.”

On a little-known planet, Archmage Varic Vallenar casts a grand spell to empower himself with the magical abilities of his alternate selves. The ritual works too well, granting Varic not only the magic but also the memories from six lives.

Including their gruesome deaths.

Now, Varic has power greater than any wizard in galactic history, but he knows that won’t be enough. The enemies he faced in those alternate lives were apocalyptic in scale. Terrors of technology and magic. Nothing that he, or anyone, can defeat.

Sun-eating extra-dimensional insects, shadowy secret organizations, genetically enhanced alien super-soldiers, ruthless megacorporations, and hordes of cyborg undead all lurk in the darkest corners of the galaxy, and Varic knows that any of them can become a world-ending threat at any moment.

All these are beyond any wizard, no matter how many spells he’s mastered or how many interstellar warships he’s rallied to his cause. Hopeless, Varic finds himself trying to preserve what little he can from the coming doom.

Until he hears rumors of a mythical starship, an invincible vessel of heroes made to do battle against galactic threats.

A ship called The Last Horizon.

There will be previews:
We will be releasing full promotional scenes soon! Including the one where Lindon dies!

We also have the release date for Waybound:

Coming June 6th. So we should make progress on the drafts/calcs by then instead.

Ok, Last Horizon sounds dope. Does it take place in the same verse as all his other stuff? Like will it be a new Iteration or part of separate lore?

A popular theory is that it is the Fathom iteration mentioned in Reaper, since it is space faring and has dragons sleeping in stars. Will said that The Last Horizon has dragons hatching from stars.

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but TLS being an iteration is being teased as possible, so it more likely that it is.

Osp7Vud.png

KKGRh23.png

oh damn I completely missed this, Last Horizon sound great.

Yeah waiting until waybound comes out to fully add the profiles seems optimal.

So the magic system is Aether, and Varic can do casual reality warping with it. It is probablly an aspect of the Way like the Icons.
Aethertech used for scanning can read people's histories even if they are from alternative timelines, and it can ignore range when connecting to a database.
Varic's threat level is 'Fleet-class', and his personal shield is more powerful than that of his scout ship and is capable of reflecting plasma bolts.

Based on troupes, the fugitive will probably end up as a companion.

Varic says that Queen Shyrax should've stayed in power for years to come even in the worst case scenario, implying that the past of his timeline was altered, either as a side effect of his ritual or by someone's machinations.

Yeah I also think it's the fact that Varic basically combined with different versions of himself that caused his timeline to change but that's still yet to be seen.

The fact that the scanner got contradictory results for even stuff like "Age" also kinda makes it seem like rather than just having the memories of his alternate selves Varic actually lived their lives

All Willverse books are currently free on amazon for the next 19 hours. So if you ever had plans on reading some of the other stuff like Travelers gate or Elder Empire or if you plan on rereading everything now's a good time to get them.

The Waybound E book has released on amazon

Some crazy stuff from literally the Prologues first 2 pages Ozriel shakes the entire Way by just calling his scythe 💀

Back