• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Confusion and Confusion Inducement

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Hey there. So yeah, I was planning on making a page, but midway through writing the summary, I was writing down the fact that confusion in fiction tends to vary, like, a lot and it dawned on me that it's best to consult the wiki, so I stopped making the page altogether. Main reason was, well, while in the past I've considered confusion as a form of mind manipulation, I've realized that there is more to confusion than just that.

Define Confusio
As we all know, in the real world confusio is a feeling expressed when one simply doesn't understand something. It's simple as that, right? Well, in fiction, confusion tends to vary a lot, but all the examples of confusion in fiction I can think of amount to more than just the mere feeling we express when we don't understand something.

Confusion in Pokemo

Confusion anime DP-1-
Piplup becoming confused.

Well, here's where things start to get more interesting. About the most well-known example of confusion in fiction is, well, the volatile status effect in Pokemon, as you may have noticed from my use of an image Piplup being confused. In Pokemon, confusion is the most well-known volatile status effect. The way confusion works in Pokemon is simple; a pokemon loses its bearings and has a chance of straight-up hitting itself in confusion.

What causes confusion? Well, in Pokemon, a variety of things can do that. Notable examples of confusion inducement are as follows...

• Confuse Ray: Oh yeah. Most of y'all know of this nasty move from plenty of Ghost-types. Basically, it's a sinister glow that causes confusion on a pokemon's opponent. Simple as that.
  • Supersonic: Supersonic is basically what you get when you use a dog whistle. Pokemon emit an odd noise that doesn't harm the opponent, but rather confuses it.
  • Swagger: Many of you know about this move because of the way it works. It basically pisses the opponent off to the point of confusion. Basically it's Outrage but without the attacking power or the self-harm.that results from it. By the way, the opponent's attack power rises greatly when Swagger is used.
  • Sweet Kiss: Sweet kiss is basically the last popular status move that causes confusion as far as I'm aware. What it does is, well, it's a cute angelic kiss that confuses an opponent.
  • Confusion: Yes, there's a move that's called Confusion. Basically it uses telepathic power to attack the opponent and has a 10% chance of causing confusion. Need I say more?
There are other ways to make pokemon become confused, but these moves are the Big 5.

Other Examples of Confusio
Why is it so hard to make the source code scroll up and down on this wiki? Anyway, there are other ways in which confusion would work in fiction. These examples are as follows...

Epic Battle Fantasy: In Epic Battle Fantasy 5 when the Confuse status effect is introduced. What it does is cause Matt and the gang to use any skill at random, including ones that are straight-up detrimental to your opponent.

RPG Maker: Pretty sure this varies a lot by game (hence why RPG Maker is treated like Roblox in this wiki), but by default the Confuse status effect either makes a player character attack an opponent or one of his or her own party members. Seriously.

I'm pretty certain that there are other examples of confusion that pertains to either Mind, Memory, Empathic, or Madness Manipulation, but I don't really get into that many things, so I wouldn't know.

How to Handle Confusio
Ideally, Confusion Inducement would be separated by type due to how confusion varies greatly in fiction. This treatment has been given to Immortality and Underwater Breathing due to how immortality and underwater breathing varied by method. I'm not sure how to go about this, however, as I'm no extensive studier of fiction.

Conclusion
What I have shown here would help people understand how confusion works in fiction among other things. I sincerely hope other Wiki folks can add onto my point, as really, I'm diving into this without any clue on what I'm doing. Yep.

Back