• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cloyster Vs. Steelix

I think it should be normal Steelix vs Cloyster, with no mega. Since (i think), mega forms are in the High-end of 6-C, and Cloyster is not near that. If you consider the mega, i vote for steelix, cause he prob outclass Cloyster in every single way, besides speed, and can hit hard with stone edge. Now that i think about it, this can be a stomp if mega is allowed

Now this is where things get started

Steelix prob have the Dura advantage. He also can hit hard with Stone Edge and Rock Blast, with Screech there to help with the damage, with curse to help him boost his' defense and attack, while lowering the speed. Steelix can also use sandstorm to do chip damage in Cloyster. He can also paralyze cloyster with Dragon Breath. Steelix also have sturdy, that can save him from a KO with full life

Cloyster prob have the speed adavantage, either that or both speed are equal. The AP is prob equal to. Cloyster have the type advantage, and can hit hard with STAB Hydro Pump (assuming that STABs are allowed here). A thing that Cloyster have over steelix is the Stat boost, with Shell Smash boosting more than curse, but the defenses lost can hurt Cloyster a little. However, the boost would prob be enough to take in Steelix, with Cloyster having the speed and AP advantage after one Shell smash boost. Skill Link won't come here since Hydro Pump is prob the only move that Cloyster will use to give damage, if the wiki allow Hidden Ability, then Cloyster wouldn't even care about Sandstorm with Overcoat, or cancel the critical hits of Stone Edge with Shell Armor

Overall, i think that Cloyster get this with Mid-High Diff. He have a better Stat Booster, that even with the def drops, he can prob live one hit of Stone Edge, and then abuse the speed and attack that he gained, he can even bypass Sandstorm with Overcoat. The way i see Steelix winning this is if he paralyze Cloyster with Dragon Breath, but even then, Cloyster would still be more powerfull, and be equal in terms of speed with Steelix even after paralize because of the stat boost. Another way would be if steelix get a crit with Stone Edge (that have high critical ratio), but stone edge can miss, and the crit chance is not that high even with higher critical ratio

Drite77 said:
Cloyster have the type advantage, and can hit hard with STAB Hydro Pump (assuming that STABs are allowed here). ...if the wiki allow Hidden Ability, then Cloyster wouldn't even care about Sandstorm with Overcoat, or cancel the critical hits of Stone Edge with Shell Armor
Yeah we allow both of those things.

Cloyster FRA

As far I know, hidden abilities can´t be stacked with "normal" abilities, so using the normal abilities is applied by default, which means that Cloystel doesn´t have Overcoat sadly, which can give Steelix an advantage to do chip damage with Sandstorm.

GyroNutz said:
Why would that be?
Unlike normal abilities which in-canon can be stacked, hidden abilities are simply separated, and so basically either the user has only the hidden ability or the "normal" abilities the species has, the latter of wich is taken by default as it´s the most common one.

I was mainly responding to Cloyster not having overcoat. Pokemon can be found in the wild with their HA, through horde encounters and the like, so it should be fair game for Cloyster to have it even if it doesn't have its other two abilities.

Yes, he can have it, but he simply can´t also have Shell Armor and Skill Link at once.

Eh, I´ll edit the OP, as those two abilities are mostly useless in this match anyways.

I know that a mon can't have two abilities. But i was thinking that Overcoat would be better cause of sandstorm, but if that wasn't allowed, then i would go with shell armor to cancel tre crits. But TBH the cloyster's abilities are not even a decisive factor, just another thing to make things easier

Crits are still unlikely, even with Stone Edge, he can even dodge it as it´s not a totally accurate move.

I know, but i point ou the crit cause stone edge have High critical ratio. Huh, i think i will point out that a luck crit after def drop could also make steelix win, but it can miss, still Cloyster take this

Bobsican wrote
Unlike normal abilities which in-canon can be stacked, hidden abilities are simply separated, and so basically either the user has only the hidden ability or the "normal" abilities the species has, the latter of wich is taken by default as it´s the most common one.

wait, when it was saided that normal abilities can stack up

Bobsican said:
Apparently in the Mystery Dungeon games they can be stacked.
Huh, neat. Not that Skill Link would even help Cloyster, but i will remember this for future battles, thanks mate

Back