• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Close-Range Tourney Round 2, Match 1: Otomo vs Phase Spider

Otomo vs Phase Spider
  • 5 meters apart, Speeds equalized, standard equipment given
  • Ranged equipment is restricted if there are any
  • SBA otherwise
5 megajoules vs 8 megajoules respectively

A period of one week will be given for debate. After 7 days, if this match has not been concluded, the one with the most votes will advance. If it is inconclusive or equal votes by then, a coin toss will be called by either one who submitted the characters in their respective matches.

How good is the Phase Spider in combat?

Alright so I'll go over each side's advantages as I see it

Otomo:
Better LS (Idk how likely he is to grapple a bloody but spider but if he feels like ig)
More skilled in melee combat/Smarter (Could help it parry attacks and so on)
Inorganic Physiology (So spider can't just "GG poison")

Phase Spider:
AP/Durability edge (x1.6 is not huge but still rather helpful)
Phasing in and out of reality counters any grapple attempts and can easily let it get in cheap shots against Otomo)
Resist Otomo's information analysis (With the standard D&D resistances)
Has more relevant combat experience as far as I can tell (I assume Otomo has not fought large monstrous spiders while the Phase Spider is expected to be able to take on 4 enemies that are on par with it physically and possess great melee skills + magic)

Imo the Phase Spider should have it through superior abilities and AP, just will take a bit due to the poison not working

Although Otomo considerably upscales from that 5 megajoule feat by a lot, the gap is even shorter. And also, that list of resistances should be added to their respected pages to avoid confusion. Although the Phase Spider will probably waste time trying to poison Otomo and then proceeding to get sliced in two.

And also, that list of resistances should be added to their respected pages to avoid confusion.
Later
Although the Phase Spider will probably waste time trying to poison Otomo and then proceeding to get sliced in two.
The method is biting him
It will just bite and back away, that's the regular MO for it
And I think it will feel that it's not flesh at all, it's on par with a below average dude in terms of overall intellect so it will realize that the poison is not working and that it needs to bite him again and use the hit and run strat
The guy can't counter that as far as I can tell so

Otomo does have an advantage in lifting strength and is apparently quite acrobatic.
That, alongside his immunity to poison, might help quite a bit at handling the Spider and wresting with it.
Otomo doesn't really have counters to dimensional travel, but maybe he's smart enough to comprehend the pattern and maybe deal with the Spider's method of attack thanks to the aforementioned stuff?

Otomo does have an advantage in lifting strength and is apparently quite acrobatic.
LS edge is kinda irrelevant since he can't grapple it because it'd just dimensional travel from any attempt, and idk what being able to do flips really helps with attacks he can't see coming
Otomo doesn't really have counters to dimensional travel, but maybe he's smart enough to comprehend the pattern and maybe deal with the Spider's method of attack thanks to the aforementioned stuff?
I mean, even with the immunity how many bites do we assume he can take?
I just don't find it likely that he can adapt quickly enough before he gets too damaged

LS edge is kinda irrelevant since he can't grapple it because it'd just dimensional travel from any attempt, and idk what being able to do flips really helps with attacks he can't see coming
It's more to push it away, capsize it or somehow trying to resist being bitten and ran over.
Depending on the flips and reaction time, he might be able to dodge better, but that's mostly up to debate.

I mean, even with the immunity how many bites do we assume he can take?
I just don't find it likely that he can adapt quickly enough before he gets too damaged
Yeah, it depends on how fast he can figure it out, but I guess he'd raise his guard the moment he sees the spider vanishing and gets bitten once.

It's more to push it away, capsize it or somehow trying to resist being bitten and ran over.
Depending on the flips and reaction time, he might be able to dodge better, but that's mostly up to debate.
Well I somehow doubt he has feats against basically teleporting enemies so
Yeah, it depends on how fast he can figure it out, but I guess he'd raise his guard the moment he sees the spider vanishing and gets bitten once.
The spider isn't dumb, it can just aim for a spot he's not defending

Tbh, this just seems like it can go either way, but I guess I'm gonna for an Incon

How
Literally nothing here supports an icon
Well I somehow doubt he has feats against basically teleporting enemies so

The spider isn't dumb, it can just aim for a spot he's not defending
And the same thing just boils down for Otomo, he isn't just going to sit there and let the Spider attempt to poison him, let alone his Type 2 Inorganic Physiology covers that. Not to mention he's way smarter in combat.

Again the spider will not try poisoning it after like 1 hit, it's not an animal intelligence wise.
Otomo is basically a Fighter in D&D terms, and the Phase Spider is expected to take 4 of those at the same time while they are relative stats to it

I really fail to see how he isn't losing here

Again the spider will not try poisoning it after like 1 hit, it's not an animal intelligence wise.
Then what exactly is the Spider going to start with? Until then, it's still listed as below average compared to Otomo's intelligence in combat characteristics.

Otomo is basically a Fighter in D&D terms, and the Phase Spider is expected to take 4 of those at the same time while they are relative stats to it
Like what kind of fighters comparable to Otomo's skill has the Phase Spider taken on 4 of each? And if anything, I could bring up this scaling chain again:

"RoboCain > RoboCop > Otomo > ED-209 > Weakened RoboCop = 5,020,800 Value"

Then what exactly is the Spider going to start with? Until then, it's still listed as below average compared to Otomo's intelligence in combat characteristics.
It's going to bite it?
You are aware that the bite does mundane damage, the poison is for an extra kick
It can just bit it again
Like what kind of fighters comparable to Otomo's skill has the Phase Spider taken on 4 of each? And if anything, I could bring up this scaling chain again:
Idk RoboCop's skill in melee fighting, as far as I'm aware most of the stuff in verse is shooting no?
Also isn't a lot of its skill in a fight from its ability to identify weak spots in a creature via information analysis which the PS resists?

Plus my argument is more so that this guy just has nothing the Spider can't reasonably take on, while besides trying to predict its TPs he has nothing to counter it at all.
"RoboCain > RoboCop > Otomo > ED-209 > Weakened RoboCop = 5,020,800 Value"
?
Upscaling from the value doesn't change the PH's x1.6 AP edge so

It's going to bite it?
You are aware that the bite does mundane damage, the poison is for an extra kick
It can just bit it again
Fair enough, but then again, he was still able to take multiple bullet shots from RoboCop's gunarm. So he should still be able to take some of the spider's bites, although poison isn't doing shit.
Idk RoboCop's skill in melee fighting, as far as I'm aware most of the stuff in verse is shooting no?
The skill majority in the verse is specialized in ranged combat with firearms rather than physical skill though.
Also isn't a lot of its skill in a fight from its ability to identify weak spots in a creature via information analysis which the PS resists?
Which isn't listed in the Spider's phase for some reason.
Plus my argument is more so that this guy just has nothing the Spider can't reasonably take on, while besides trying to predict its TPs he has nothing to counter it at all.
How much does the Phase Spider spam TP in combat?

Fair enough, but then again, he was still able to take multiple bullet shots from RoboCop's gunarm. So he should still be able to take some of the spider's bites, although poison isn't doing shit.
Well he gets bitten either way
The skill majority in the verse is specialized in ranged combat with fire

The skill majority in the verse is specialized in ranged combat with firearms rather than physical skill though.
arms rather than physical skill though.
So we agree that he lacks any notable scaling skill wise right?
Even leven 1 fighters can wield basically any mundane weapon they want with good proficiency, and at level 3 is when they start being extra skilled be it something like a Battle Master which has special maneuvers to knock people prone with any hit or other tricks.
Heck this doesn't mention the support they'd likely get from mages so the Phase Spider lore wise is a challenge to a rather impressive group in this context
Which isn't listed in the Spider's phase for some reason.
It's an accepted thing for matches
How much does the Phase Spider spam TP in combat?
Using it before the bite attacks is the standard strategy for it so

Well I'm going to assume this is concluded in Phase Spider's favor unless anyone would like to object

Back