• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Characters backscaling for incredibly minor damage

This should probably be a CRT, but that depends on how it goes.

So currently we don’t scale characters’ durability for getting stomped. Makes perfect sense, clearly the character shouldn’t scale to something if it is trashing them.

I’m making this thread because it seems ap doesn’t have the same standard for some reason. Like Iron man scales to Thanos (MCU) for barely scratching his cheek, kinda.

Characters shouldn’t scale to other characters for doing such minor inconvenient damage (like scratching them a bit). A honey bee and ant can harm a human, should they backscale from humans now.

Unfortunately I don’t many profiles this would effect, hopefully people usually didn’t have characters backscale in these scenarios, but I know a few verses that are trying to upgrade characters for slightly scratching others and based off how we treat durability I don’t think that should be the case.

Edit: there used to be another example I had, but I believe it was taken out of context. I’ll research it right now.

Last edited:
I more or less agree, if a 10-C animal harmed a 10-A human we wouldn't make the animal 10-A via down-scaling for causing minor damage, so the same should apply to fiction tbh (within reason ofc).

I more or less agree, if a 10-C animal harmed a 10-A human we wouldn't make the animal 10-A via down-scaling for causing minor damage, so the same should apply to fiction tbh (within reason ofc).
isnt that about "stabing damage" like how we bullets can harm people with far far more durability

isnt that about "stabing damage" like how we bullets can harm people with far far more durability
I never mentioned stabbing damage. Legit 10-C animals have shown to be able to cause minor harm to humans with headbutts, kicks, tackles, etc. It doesn't mean we scale them to 10-B to 9-C.

Yeah, our standard for "tanking" attacks ins't very clear. If a character requires hundreds of non-aimed-at-vitals punches to put down a character then its AP is hardly similar to its enemy's Durability.

I guess it's reduced to how much damage is supposed to cause an attack whose ap is equal to the durability of the targer: is causing bruises enough? Scratches? Internal bleeding?

Discerning between having relative high durability and having high endurance may also be tricky. In DBS, for example, most likely the ap of the characters is way below its durability, as they go atatatata but it only leaves a few bruises with no notable heavy injuries, that suggests that characters are only receiving cheap damage and most of the time collapse due the pain.

I think if a character won a fist fight, even if it took a crap ton of hits, they should scale. Because story wise they won the fight through being physically comparable to that character. They managed to beat them down in the end. But if the character barely bruise/scratches the opponent and need to find an alternative way to win (like accidentally causing the opponent to shoot themselves), then they clearly weren’t strong enough to fight them and them doing so little damage is to show they weren’t truly achieving anything.

Last edited:
When it comes to the damage in general, while it would be case by case, I think a good basis is how much the damage actually really mattered in the grand scheme of things. Like red rush in the invisible tv show slightly made omni man bleed, but red rush broke his arms hitting them and achieved literally nothing with the damage he did. If the media goes out of its way to say getting a scratch or a minor bruise is actually impressive (I believe Baki does something like that) then it could be ap, but if it’s someone like Thanos who laughs off the scratch and insults it for being minor trivia then it’s clear the story is saying he stomps these guys and they shouldn’t scale.

I guess it's reduced to how much damage is supposed to cause an attack whose ap is equal to the durability of the targer: is causing bruises enough? Scratches? Internal bleeding?

Discerning between having relative high durability and having high endurance may also be tricky. In DBS, for example, most likely the ap of the characters is way below its durability, as they go atatatata but it only leaves a few bruises with no notable heavy injuries, that suggests that characters are only receiving cheap damage and most of the time collapse due the pain.
So DB characters have really high Dura?

Don't think it stacks like that.

So DB characters have really high Dura?
Considering most can tank their own attacks and some
Let's say goku
He regularly uses the kamehameha on his self, remember the kami boosts all of his stats, and the kami damages [or effects] things above his weight class, yet he uses as a way to train his dura by hitting himself with it
And I agree with the fact that causing scratches, or small bruises shouldn't give you ap, it's usually a way to indicate how strong the opponent is, not how high your AP is

Back