• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Changing SBA starting distance

My question is, why even give the advantage to anyone? Make it fair for both and have them start at 10 meters. Is there any problem in that?

10m can give an advantage to people who aren't using things like sniper rifles as their main weapon. Any distance possible can confer an advantage, but stuff like 10m seems really short. Better range is an advantage just like a better any other stat, and the worse off character's just gotta deal with it of OP doesn't specify.

That you end up with character X who is a gunslinger starting in melee range against a swordsman because they start at the lowest out of the two maximum ranges

Edit: Answering to AKM

Kaltias said:
That you end up with character X who is a gunslinger starting in melee range against a swordsman because they start at the lowest out of the two maximum ranges
In that case, it really depends on the OP. The exact opposite is also not a better option.

It should in all likelihood be the distance of two fighters in a boxing ring.

Frankly, this shouldn't be that difficult. Take anything from Death Battle to an actual fighting game. The distance starting is this small.

I mean, I don't see what's unfair in letting the opponent who has the range advantage use it as an actual advantage.

Granted, i'm personally in favor of simply not having a set starting range and having the OP determine it

I don't agree with this.

Anyone who uses said range would keep an advantage that they naturally have. You don't like that advanage? Say that they are 5 inches apart instead then.

The real cal howard said:
Frankly, this shouldn't be that difficult. Take anything from Death Battle to an actual fighting game. The distance starting is this small.
Not every character is a CQC character, there are characters who use snipers,bows, or other long range weaponry. This would be a passive disadvantage to them.

The real cal howard said:

Because all the fights here are with human level characters with melee range attacks, right?

@Cal

Not necessarily.

Take a character from a FPS/TPS. They would likely fight from a distance, because their weapons are sniper rifles/machine guns, etc

Because all the fights here are with human level characters with melee range attacks, right?

Yes, I remember that human level Death Battle fight between Goku and Superman. As well as that human level fight in Smash Bros between Mewtwo and Robin.

Look at someone like a Vindicare Assassi. These guys can take shots from way further out than even the 4km max. Obviously I'm not saying "Vindicares should start on the moon by default because their guns can shoot that far", but making them start in melee range seems silly.

Sera EX said:
Can you see 20 blocks from your house?
To be fair Sera, Most characters in fiction can. And they mostly have something that allowed them to sense their opponent location.

I think the distance should be case by case scenario, depending on who is fighting who. Ex: If both combatants can see or sense their opponent from far away, 4km is fine. But if one or both of them can't it needs to be changed.

@Cal

Smash is a terrible representation of what an actual vs match is though.

I mean, you can look at someone like Mami as well. Characters who prefer ranged combat are a thing

"Yes, I remember that human level Death Battle fight between Goku and Superman. As well as that human level fight in Smash Bros between Mewtwo and Robin."

You know what.

Refer to my first reply: any set distance is arbitrary. OPs should regulate the starting distance. The fact that you like cqc fights is not an arguement to change anything.

Yeah because that's easy to do when the opponent can reach you with a dash since the start of the match

Edit: Sorry if that was rude

If you can't figure out how to put distance between you and your opponent when you're in the range of most fights in fictions start, tough tamales.

Idk about "most fights" tho. Look at vehicular battles, or military fictions, or fictions where people just don't fight fair, or snipers, or characters who abuse range. Plenty of fictions don't have melee range as a standard combat range.

I don't agree with making the range close simply because of the possibility of the other opponent having a range advantage. Should we now equalize AP, remove any possible hax that gives someone a possible advantage in the match?

The OP I'm neutral too.

The upper limit for facial recognition is 160 to 200 feet, according to this. I think that would be a better distance than 20 feet. I do think that the OP of a versus thread should decide the starting distance though.

There was actually a thread that came to the conclusion that if the match starts at 4km then then they won't just stand there looking around

Bump. I know many staff agree with my suggestion from earlier but I want to make the point again: starting rage should be required by the OP of a thread. No standard distance can encasulate even a majority of threada

I'd just like to note that even irl super long range fighting is a thing for some modes of combat, particularly aircraft. In modern times, planes can and will shoot missiles at one another from miles away, and of you're within visual range of the enemy you're probably already dead

Also keep in mind how a lot of wiki characters are incredibly fast. Even speeds we consider slow like subsonic can travel far distances really quickly.

I don't really see why removing the standard starting distance should be done.

If it gives unfair advantages, it can be changed, as it is said in SBA already.

Chartate101 said:
Exactly. Thats why having a set distance is a bad idea
Excuse me? None of my logic can be responded with "that's why it's bad".

Range is an actual thing that one can have over the other, and not taking it away should be a baseline assumptions. If people want to, they can specify, much like how you can specify which stones Thanos has.

There is no reason to take away a standard range. If it makes a stomp, then people will have to change it, much like how they have to put speed equal.

Ricsi-viragosi said:

Range is an actual thing that one can have over the other, and not taking it away should be a baseline assumptions. If people want to, they can specify, much like how you can specify which stones Thanos has.

There is no reason to take away a standard range. If it makes a stomp, then people will have to change it, much like how they have to put speed equal.
This^

Sorry for not making it clear, but I was responding to Wok's comment

My bad then.

But it still aplies. Both of his points directly counter yours. One is that fighting from such ranges is normal for some, and the other is that the characters are fast enough that crossing the distamce doesn't take much.

No, because he brought up how many fighters can fight from Kilometers away, which by the current SBA, the limit would be would only 4.

Also, what about characters with Large Size? Take the Bionis and the Mechonis from Xenoblade. Both are moon sized beings, with the Bionis standing just shy of 3000 km tall. Relative to their size, 4km is NOTHING. They are nowhere near close enough to simply extend their arms. By current SBA, they would HAVE to start at 4KM. Do you not see how thats a problem?

Back