• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Change to the profile format

Kavpeny

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Hello, comunity members.

The current format of character profiles is pretty well-rounded. However, it often leads to reduced importance of VS threads (which are hardly distinguishable amidst the text), and some personal information (age, etc.) which are not necessary to list along with combat statistics. Here is an article with the with the current standard format. Here it is, with a new format (including an "infobox").

I wish to receive feedback from the community, as to whether the suggested format is a positive change or not. Additionally, I am well aware that the staff members are not in a position for a wiki-wide implementation of the new format. This is simply a beta test, intended to visually demonstrate a new article format.

Finally, suggestions for improvement of the new "infobox" are welcome.

Well I guess you can ignore my message on your wall now... but it looks good to me... I might have some suggestions for it later on...

Edit:Never mind the first part it seems that you've already replied...

@Quincy King: Thanks man. If you have any suggestions for improvement, they are most welcome.

@SchutzenDunkelZiel1217: I have replied already (and you have acknowledged the reply). Like I've already said, your suggestions are welcome.

@GTgokussj4: Thank you.

Well, given that we already have a functioning format, that the alignment is previously included in categories when necessary, that I like the old layout better, and that it would cause an unnecessary massive strain on the wiki members to start converting profiles when the old format works fine, I think that it is much better to put the focus on other changes.

Ah message edited...

But I have some more questions regarding this... when/if this project actually gets properly initiated... would everyone (as in all staff members) be required to participate or would it be given to a specific person/specific people...

Also I would like to have a discussion about all the projects in a thread before actually going about doing any of them...

In any case, with all due respect, as I said above, I think that making wiki-wide changes like this if they are not necessary/the previous format works fine, is generally a bad idea, especially as the staff will be strained enough from taking up the slack after I leave in a few days. It will be hard enough for them just to keep track of the daily edits and discussions. My apologies.

Why don't we just have all the projects laid out on a thread first. Decide which are important and should be initiated and which are not as important and keep them for later...

I prefer the use of the new format and feel that it would make the profiles far better and thus attract more visitors.

But as Kav already said this is supposed to be a beta-test so my suggestions is listing out all the projects on a thread first and then have a discussion about which are important and which are not...

@Antvasima

1) This is a test. It isn't going to be implemented anytime soon.

2) I think I specified in the OP quite clearly that nobody is going to be converting profiles. And that nobody is going to focus on that short term.

3) There can be up to infinite threads, each with their own explanation

4) The current format has a far poorer "overview", with VS threads nigh-invisible, and statistics such as "Name", "Age" listed under "Powers & Stats" for God knows what reason.

@Rib78: Hmm...I would rather we kept combat statistics separate, don't you think? What would be better, having a separate distinction of tier for easy visibility, or grouping of combat statistics separately?

^ That's a genuine question directed at you Rib, not a rhetoric one.

@SchutzenDunkelZiel1217: Hold your horses. I said this was a Demon. Give me your opinion (suggstions, improvements, etc.) regarding the Demon format only.

Respectfully, do NOT derail the thread just 7 posts in. I will discuss wiki projects later, on a separate thread (Staff board). Suffice to say, implementation of this project will come at a far later date in any case.

It's cool man...

So, any ideas for the Demon format (or the infobox) itself?

There isn't much I can contribute to for now. And I wouldn't want to change the infobox/Demon format too much to my liking as my tastes are... weird.

I have somewhere I need to go for now. After I come back I'll give ya all my suggestions/ideas...

So should i edit the Mr. Krabs, Squidward Tentacles, Alaskan Bull Worm, and Puffy Fluffy pages to reflect the current changes then? I can do that if needed.

Well, regarding suggestions, the alignment is unnecessary, as we already have categories for that, and not all characters have a clearly defined alignment.

I still think that priority #1 for any wiki-wide changes should be modifying our energy scale to turn more accurate though, but that would take even more work.

Skodwarde The Almighty said:
So should i edit the Mr. Krabs, Squidward Tentacles, Alaskan Bull Worm, and Puffy Fluffy pages to reflect the current changes then? I can do that if needed.
No you shouldn't. This is a Demon and as Lord Kavpeny already said implementation of this project will come at a far later date if it is implemented...

@SchutzenDunkelZiel1217: Sure, no problem. Take your time.

@Skodwarde The Almighty: What SchutzenDunkelZiel1217 said. It is a Demon, and should not be put into effect, at least until the community gives their approval. Even then, it is quite low on the priority wiki projects (which will soon be posted, for those interested), and the revision of profiles will be implemented at a far later date.

@Antvasima: Noted. The beauty of infoboxes is that if you leave the particular field blank, it will not appear. In any case, I will remove it. Any additions under "Personal" section of the characters?

I am in a dilemma as to whether list Tier or not. While it would make tier far more easily distinguishable, I also don't want to mix up combat statistics with other ones.

@everyone: I can also add fields such as height, weight, DoB, so that characters which have that information listed on other sites, can be have it indexed here as well. Again, leaving these fields blank would simply make them vanish from the infobox, which will prevent those horrid whitespaces of incomplete information from appearing.

Well, I would prefer if you left the tier out of it, as it would mess up the consistency of the layout. We link to the character tiering page through the usual list, and then link to the other attributes in the same manner. Splitting them up seems out of place and harder to overview.

Well, we can add a tier listing (unlinked) without removing it from "Powers and Stats" tab (here, tier will be linked to the Character Tiering page).

The reason why I'm so confused is because I know a LOT of new members simply browse through pages, and look at the tier only before moving on to the next profile. Adding Tier separately to the infobox (thereby providing it with distinguishability) will enhance the reading experience of new members.

P.S.: We can implement linked fields as well, just in case.

I would also prefer to keep the matchup links out of it, and at the bottom as usual, as they are the least important part of the profiles, and are more straightforward for members to add or remove in that manner.

Apart from that, I do not mind the infobox as such. It is just that it would take several thousands of edits to apply, and seems very unnecessary in proportion to the required work.

Uhm....i'm kinda 50/50 tbh.

I like the infobox......even if it would take me some time getting used to.

I'm iffy on removing statistics like gender, age, classification....a lot of characters have strengths and weaknesses via those categories(the Pokemon move Attract, being too old and feeble, being a land mammal who can't swim, etc....)

And imma take a hike.

I also do not think that it is hard to find the tier in the current layout, that listing it twice is unnecessary, and that splitting it from the rest of the statistics looks assymetric.

@Skodwarde: Statistics like gender, age, etc. are not being removed, simply being listed under the infobox instead.

Okay. See you later.

@Antvasima: Very well. Tier listing will remain separate.

@Kkapoios: It would, which is precisely why the implementation is still a long way off.

Hmm, to be honest, I like it. looks more accurate. I only wonder, how do you make a tabber with this format? just this.

Anyway, I really like it.

I really liked the infobox, but I think that it is important to add personality too. After all, fiery/cold personality tends to affect the fight. Just a idea, tho.

I was about to make a profile for a Dragon Quest character, can I put in the infobox for it or is it not suggested?

To everybody, I will say this for the last time:

PLEASE CONTINUE TO USE THE CURRENT STANDARD PROFILE FORMAT.

THE INFOBOX VERSION IS A Demon ONLY, AND IS NOT TO BE UTILIZED IN ANY NEW PROFILES FOR THE TIME BEING.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Back