• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Change in Tornado AP

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So yeah... It turns out there's an actual flipping study on tornado KE that gives the KE ratings of tornadoes: https://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/islandora/object/fsu:252956/datastream/PDF/view

Thanks, @Expectro2000xxx , for showing me that. In page 22 of the study, we are given the average KE ratings of each tornado on the Enhanced Fujita Scale. They are as such...

EF0: 0.086 Terajoules (20.55449331 tons; City Block Level)
EF1: 0.844 Terajoules (201.7208413 tons; Multi-City Block Level)
EF2: 4.27 Terajoules (1020.554493 tons; Small Town Level)
EF3: 18.9 Terajoules (4517.208413 tons; Small Town Level+)
EF4: 51.3 Terajoules (12260.99426 tons; Town Level)
EF5: 102 Terajoules (24378.58509 tons; Town Level)
2010 Tallulah-Yazoo City-Durant tornado: 516.7 Terajoules (123.4942639 kilotons; Large Town Level)

To add further onto this, the study provided us with ways to CALCULATE tornado KE ourselves, which I think would be useful since many fictional tornados are small AF like the one caused by Taz when he spins. Mhmm. So yeah, I think it's time to change up how we handled tornadoes.

Okay, seems this is fair game, but at the same time, I've a feeling I'll need a little more discussion given how big this is.

We should rewrite it to use Simpson's Rule for the integration instead.
So, how would we determine the fraction of path area in practice?
And, which parts of the tornado are considered? Like, how high up is it assumed to go and stuff?

So yeah... It turns out there's an actual flipping study on tornado KE that gives the KE ratings of tornadoes:
Pretty sure we already used something like this years ago, but these numbers are way too general to just slap onto an instance of a tornado being made when we can just manually calculate it, often getting very different results based on how big it actually is

Pretty sure we already used something like this years ago, but these numbers are way too general to just slap onto an instance of a tornado being made when we can just manually calculate it, often getting very different results based on how big it actually is
Yeah, we probably should know what the average size that those numbers correspond to is, so that we can judge whether their use is justified.

Yeah, we probably should know what the average size that those numbers correspond to is, so that we can judge whether their use is justified.
From a quick glance I think I got their data for width and length path from this U.S document, which begin to show various tables with the width and length path from page 22, though I could be wrong, a better look at the document should be given since I focused mostly in the result values when sharing them with the person who created the blog currently used in the site for tornadoes KE.

I can't find anything regarding the average sizes of tornadoes and their respective yields or destructive power, or anything of the sort. I found an article that has a F0 tornado measuring in length 2 miles and 60 yards wide, the May 2004 F4 tornado was 2.5 miles wide and the EF3 2013 El Reno tornado was 2.6 miles, but that's about it.

At page 32 of that pdf document in the OP it reads "The tornado with the most energy was the Tallulah-Yazoo City-Durant tornado of April 24, 2010 with a TKE of 516.7 TJ. It tracked more than 240 km (149 miles) and was more than 2.8 km (1.75 miles) wide at its widest."

Back