• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Category Idea: Decade

ElixirBlue

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Researching Popeye for fun and finding out Popeye's Girlfriend (Olive Oyl) predates Popeye by 10 years (1919) making her older than Mickey Mouse, I was wondering what the consensus would be to have Categories based on the decade a verse has been release for. (Verses only, not characters)

Examples; 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, etc.

Would that be ok?

Technically it should be ok, but I'm afraid that verse pages that include several different medias released in different decades, would be full of different categories for each year, unless we want to give them a single category for the year the broader franchise is born in.

Technically it should be ok, but I'm afraid that verse pages that include several different medias released in different decades, would be full of different categories for each year, unless we want to give them a single category for the year the broader franchise is born in.
Thinking of that as well. It should be limited 1 per verse till other media/continuities has their own verse page. Like, Nolan's Dark Knight would be (2000) but DC Comics would be (1930).

Or, there are other franchises that had multiple Continuities released in the same decade and don't have their own verse page yet. Again in that case, only 1 is needed.

Also tf, popoye has a gf?
IMG_1316.png

Well, if there isn't issue (beyond verse pages having multiple, which, I also don't like but it might not be helped till other continuities have their own pages), I can start making the Categories and implementing them.

I hope the before-mentioned regulations over such categories are also mentioned in their descriptions, otherwise they will be forgotten and the issues will happen either way.

This seems like a huge project.

Don't you mind if I help you out with giving verse pages and categories these decade categories, @ElixirBlue? Most of verses added by myself aren't given decade categories yet anyway.

Right now we have 1368 verse pages + 2006 verse categories = 3374 in total. The decade categories currently cover 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 2 + 12 + 7 + 19 + 25 + 32 + 156 + 263 + 299 + 365 + 29 = 1228, or 36.4% of total required pages and categories.

Also: should we mention these new decade categories in the Standard Format for Verse Pages?

This seems like a huge project.

Don't you mind if I help you out with giving verse pages and categories these decade categories, @ElixirBlue? Most of verses added by myself aren't given decade categories yet anyway.

Right now we have 1368 verse pages + 2006 verse categories = 3374 in total. The decade categories currently cover 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 2 + 12 + 7 + 19 + 25 + 32 + 156 + 263 + 299 + 365 + 29 = 1228, or 36.4% of total required pages and categories.

Also: should we mention these new decade categories in the Standard Format for Verse Pages?
Sure- Oh? I wasn’t even thinking of adjusting the Standard Verse Format. Would that be alright?

As for helping out… sure. I was thinking of doing it mainly myself, since I’ve been using the additions of the Decade Category to also,

A. Reorganized the Categories on the “Verse’s page” and “Characters by Verse” categories by [[Category:Verse]], [[Category:Verse’s Character by Verse]], [[Category:Company that mainly own’s the Verse]], [[Category:Media the Verse takes place in]], [[Category: Decade]].

Though, [[Category:Media the Verse takes place in]], only appears on the Verse’s page, not in “Characters by Verse” category.

B. Some Verses don’t have their [[Category:Verse’s Character by Verse]] set up or protected, so I’ve been taking care of that as well.

Seems pointless for our purposes but harmless, if someone wants to go through and figure it out. I don't mind.

With Popeye's match, I noticed the VS Community has taken a more noticeable interest to the age of the characters (in the Meta) when comparing them. Thought it would be nice to have that actualized in the Categories format.

If no one has an issue with it, I can make the addition later today.

If it's each covering its ten following years then they should be called "1980s", "1990s", "2000s", "2010s", with an s at the end. I agree with this.

If it's each covering its ten following years then they should be called "1980s", "1990s", "2000s", "2010s", with an s at the end. I agree with this.
Yee, almost made that mistake till Damage caught it earlier. Would've been a nightmare to fix with how much has already progressed. :V

I just cleared X Y Z (verses starting with these letters). The only verse category I'm uncertain of is Xeno (Series), since you explained me a bit more of rules for this project when you reverted my edit on the Flatland page.

Also: in Special:WantedCategories, there're several hundred completely uncategorized verse categories, which are connected with at least one character profile. This might seem like a separate wiki clean-up project, but we can give those categories both Characters by Verse and the respective decade category.

The only verse category I'm uncertain of is Xeno (Series), since you explained me a bit more of rules for this project when you reverted my edit on the Flatland page.
Xeno (Series)? The main Verse page is only about Xenoblade, so likely, its the decade Xenobalde Chronicles started.

Also: in Special:WantedCategories, there're several hundred completely uncategorized verse categories, which are connected with at least one character profile. This might seem like a separate wiki clean-up project, but we can give those categories both Characters by Verse and the respective decade category.
Ye. I'm not sure about on it since it was before my time, but I wanted to add Decade Category to "Characters by Verse" section, because there is a lot of "CbV" that don't have Verse pages of their own..

I just cleared W. The only remained category is World Trigger. Its protection level should be changed from sysop to autoconfirmed, and the 2010s category has to be added.

Back