• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Captain Picard VS Grand Admiral Thrawn

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Here's one that might work out well.

Battle takes place on a neutral space station with plenty of places to use as shelter from weapons-fire. Characters start behind cover at 45 meters away.

TV Series Picard VS Disney Canon Thrawn.

Otherwise SBA

Picard: 2 (Aeyu, KinkiestSins?)

Thraw: 3 (Iapetus The Impaler, The Everlasting, Soldier Blue)

Inconclusive: 1 (Gargoyle One)

Soldier Blue said:
What is the effective range of Picard's phaser?
Dunno. The profile says he can reach hundreds of meters with phaser weapons, but I haven't seen enough of ST to confirm or deny that.

I should probably have set a starting range myself.

EDIT: Fixed the battle conditions a bit.

Just to clarify, in case anyone asks: Thrawn normally carries with him a heavy blaster pistol. It should have an effective range of at most 120 metres.

Well, even for standard phasers, this doesn't necessarily constitute effective range since there's cover involved and they're using stun settings. Hundreds of meters sounds about right in a survival situation. A scenario would probably do this battle better though. EVA rifles are far more powerful and reach longer, as well. There are typical ranges for the early 23rd century, ranging from 10 to 90 meters for maximum effect, but said type 2's are extremely inferior to that of those in the late 24th, so it's not really applicable.

Here's a list of 16 modes a type 2 or 3 phaser would have, with Picard having access to the former in a reconnaissance mission and the former and latter in a combat situation:

1. Light Stun ― causes central nervous system impairment on humanoids, unconsciousness for up to five minutes. Long exposure by several shots causes reversible neural damage.
  2. Medium Stun ― causes unconsciousness from five to fifteen minutes. Long exposure causes irreversible neural damage, along with damage to epithelial tissue.
  3. Heavy Stun ― causes unconsciousness from fifteen to sixty minutes depending on the level of biological resistance. Significantly heats up metals.
  4. Thermal Effects ― causes extensive neural damage to humanoids and skin burns limited to the outer layers. Causes metals to retain heat when applied for over five seconds.
  5. Thermal Effects ― causes severe outer layer skin burns. Can penetrate simple personal force fields after five seconds of application.
  6. Disruption Effects ― penetrates organic and structural materials. The thermal damage level decreases from this level onward.
  7. Disruption Effects ― due to widespread disruption effects, kills humanoids.
  8. Disruption Effects ― causes a cascade disruption that vaporizes humanoid organisms. Any unprotected material can be penetrated.
  9. Disruption Effects ― causes medium alloys and structural materials, over a meter thick, to exhibit energy rebound prior to vaporization.
  10. Disruption Effects ― causes heavy alloys and structural materials to absorb or rebound energy. There is a 0.55 second delay before the material vaporizes.
  11. Explosive/Disruption Effects ― causes ultra-dense alloys and structural materials to absorb or rebound energy before vaporization. There is a 0.2 second delay before the material vaporizes. Approximately ten cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot.
  12. Explosive/Disruption Effects ― causes ultra-dense alloys and structural materials to absorb or rebound energy before vaporization. There is a 0.1 second delay before the material vaporizes. Approximately fifty cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot.
  13. Explosive/Disruption Effects ― causes shielded matter to exhibit minor vibrational heating effects. Approximately 90 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot.
  14. Explosive/Disruption Effects ― causes shielded matter to exhibit medium vibrational heating effects. Approximately 160 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot.
  15. Explosive/Disruption Effects ― causes shielded matter to exhibit major vibrational heating effects. Approximately 370 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot.
  16. Explosive/Disruption Effects ― causes shielded matter to exhibit light mechanical fracturing damage. Approximately 650 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot.

Aeyu was only answering Soldier's question though.

I mean, I suppose I can count the vote for now, but still. lol

Long-term strategic combat, given that it's what Thrawn is famous for.

I'll analyze Picard a bit and vote in a minute.

iirc from what I have seen of Star Wars lore videos on youtube, Thrawne has a far more impressive combat carrier, and seems to also have superior stats. So I'll go with him for now but may change my vote later after thinking over this more

Iapitus The Impaler said:
iirc from what I have seen of Star Wars lore videos on youtube, Thrawne has a far more impressive combat carrier, and seems to also have superior stats. So I'll go with him for now but may change my vote later after thinking over this more
Pretty much this. He also has a solid advantage in hand-to-hand.

Thinking it over, I'm going to vote for Thrawn.

Reasons:

1. He has far sharper eyesight than humans and can also see in the infrared. He also has superhuman hearing. Enhanced senses are a big advantage in this particular battlefield.

2. He's likely to bait Picard once or twice and try to gauge the properties of his phaser and Picard's overall skill. And we see in the Canon Thrawn novel that he can gauge someone's skill just from the way they move and with just a few of their actions.

3. We see in the Thrawn novel that he is quite stealthy. Managed to sneak up on and surprise an entire group of people. Then let loose on their vehicle with his weapon, then provided distracting fire so his aide could do something. Earlier on in the novel, he gave the entire Stormtrooper complement of a Venator star destroyer the slip and even managed to sneak onto the damn ship.

Votes updated. He can gauge a person's skill just by looking at how they move? Damn.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
He can gauge a person's skill just by looking at how they move? Damn.
Yeah.

He was assaulted by some xenophobic human cadets at the Imperial Academy on Coruscant. Just from their running towards him and throwing a couple of punches, he could gauge how skilled they were. He also recommended that they be transferred to starfighter pilot training as he was able to deduce that their reflexes and mentality would be well suited for that role.

well grand admiral stomps physically, but picard is better equipped and weapons, among his arsenals are:

7 metric tones of ultritium explosives

8 tetryon pulse launcher

10 isomagnetic disintegrator

tho not sure if his light sabers can block phaser fire

and his tricorder can detect his life signs if his wining strategy is stealth and quietly sneaking up on someone

and he has one of those portable medkits that he can heal himself with and some standard Federation shit

Crzer presents some pretty good points. Additionally, I've been looking more into the effects of phaser fire and its effective ranges and I think Picard's technology might give him the advantage here, or it's inconclusive.

Sure, if only because of the tricorder which can pick up life for miles. Does Thrawn have any way to jam the signal?

Dunno. Gonna have to wait for Ever and Soldier to come back if you want to know about that. I'll count your vote for now, though.

Also, can I ask (Crzer) why lightsabers deflecting phaser fire or not is relevant? As far as I'm aware, Thrawn doesn't carry a lightsaber.

Crzer07 said:
tho not sure if his light sabers can block phaser fire
???

Thrawn has never wielded lightsabers. This weapon does not come into the equation here. Thrawn's weapon here is a heavy blaster pistol.

But I will attempt to clarify: Lightsabers can likely block phaser fire. Lightsabers in both Canon and Legends are blades of plasma encased in a magnetic/deflector field. It's likely that said field will block phaser fire.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Aeyu said:
Sure, if only because of the tricorder which can pick up life for miles. Does Thrawn have any way to jam the signal?
I don't think he does. And even if he could block its signals with material which can be salvaged from the area, he'd need to study it first.

well for now i may have to lean towards picard via tech-based versatility. and his page still needs abit more work

In general, we could use more people with technical knowledge about Trek. Only the high-tiered profiles are accurate at this point, imo, and there's still many more that need to be made.

Aeyu said:
In general, we could use more people with technical knowledge about Trek. Only the high-tiered profiles are accurate at this point, imo, and there's still many more that need to be made.
We honestly just need calcs for the verse as a whole tbh, and tech readouts only go so far.

Well, the only people I see working on Trek profiles are me and Crzer with small contributions from random others every now and again.

I calc'ed Star Trek's phasers at maximum setting (vs regular substances and not shields), and I got this:

(I'm also gonna put this in the revisions thread)

They need to be 9-B at lowest setting (They can incapicitate most humanoids, including the far larger Klingons who can easily snap bones with their bare hands and overpower even Jem'Hadar when trained enough) to Low 7-C (They vaporize 650 cubic meters of rock per second when at their highest setting, which amounts to 16,705,000,000,000 joules when put through our calcs, though this can overheat relatively quickly - about 2-3 seconds even. Indoors can be too dangerous; (this could be listed as a weakness) because someone who fired one inside a hospital blew himself up along with the building, which was likely made of titanium alloy, and yet still obliterated) EVA compression rifles are at least twice as powerful as regular phasers (Type 3s use at least twice the power of a regular phaser due to having much more powerful batteries and settings, and pack enough punch to heavily damage even the Borg, and should be At least 7-C as they are far more powerful than this, but to an unknown degree)

Back